Online anatomy and physiology course recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riderrapidash

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, had a quick question. I start at CSU this Fall and was thinking it may be a good idea to review anatomy and physiology before I start (since it’ll be 16 units total). Does anyone have any recommendations for any specific courses? There’s a ton of human anatomy/physiology on Coursera but I’d prefer a veterinary, animal or even comparative course. Anything would be appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's always best to spend time before vet school just relaxing and discovering hobbies that'll help you recharge. You'll learn more in a few weeks at school than months pre-studying can accomplish. So it would ultimately just end up burning your summer vacation for little to no meaningful gain.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It's always best to spend time before vet school just relaxing and discovering hobbies that'll help you recharge. You'll learn more in a few weeks at school than months pre-studying can accomplish. So it would ultimately just end up burning your summer vacation for little to no meaningful gain.
Thank you I appreciate that, I’ve read you shouldn’t study prior. I’m just very paranoid about potentially failing out due to the huge volume of information. I really just don’t want to not become a vet after getting into vet school 😅

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Utilizing the on-campus resources, trying out new studying styles (especially for the more challenging topics), and mentally recharging will be most powerful for staying afloat.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hello, had a quick question. I start at CSU this Fall and was thinking it may be a good idea to review anatomy and physiology before I start (since it’ll be 16 units total). Does anyone have any recommendations for any specific courses? There’s a ton of human anatomy/physiology on Coursera but I’d prefer a veterinary, animal or even comparative course. Anything would be appreciated!!!
Don’t. Seriously. Spend your summer learning your best self care techniques, because that’s what’s going to fall by the wayside when you start school. Knowing how to recharge in the best way for you is more important than taking some random course. Studying before school won’t help you to feel less overwhelmed when the semester starts - everyone will feel that way, and it will be fine.

I’ve noticed that you’ve posted before with a very gunner mentality - I know you want to specialize and I get it, but take some of that pressure off yourself and just focus on learning (once school starts). Don’t fixate on your grades. Learn the material vs focusing on the numbers. You’re likely to drive yourself insane otherwise.

From seeing posts on here, in other groups, and personal experience, the small portion of people that do not complete veterinary school are just as (if not more) likely to stop attending vet school because of burnout or random life developments than grades. Enjoy your summer and don’t waste time studying. You’ll be taught what you need to know with resources they want you to use during the regular curriculum.

Reactions: 4 users
Second year students at CSU who did well in the first year courses (anatomy, physiology, immunology in the fall; neuro and the microbiology “ologies” in the spring) are hired as tutors who hold evening study sessions for the first year students. These sessions are open to everyone. Highly recommended. I speak from experience: I personally benefitted from these session as a first year so much so that I tutored both semesters in my second year. :)

P.S. Agree with the advice given above. Please, for the love of who or whatever you believe in, do not sign up for a course this summer.

Utilizing the on-campus resources, trying out new studying styles (especially for the more challenging topics), and mentally recharging will be most powerful for staying afloat.
Thank you, I plan to use all that I can! I just know it’s a huge amount of content so I’ll try my best to adapt.

Don’t. Seriously. Spend your summer learning your best self care techniques, because that’s what’s going to fall by the wayside when you start school. Knowing how to recharge in the best way for you is more important than taking some random course. Studying before school won’t help you to feel less overwhelmed when the semester starts - everyone will feel that way, and it will be fine.

I’ve noticed that you’ve posted before with a very gunner mentality - I know you want to specialize and I get it, but take some of that pressure off yourself and just focus on learning (once school starts). Don’t fixate on your grades. Learn the material vs focusing on the numbers. You’re likely to drive yourself insane otherwise.
Thank you, this honestly helps too. I’ll try and relax this summer and work on my stress regulation because that’s an area I’m very weak in (as you probably have gathered). I definitely have stressed a lot but I want to focus more on actually learning the content- at the end of the day if I’m meant to do GP or ER and not specialize I’d be fine with that as long as I can pass school in all honesty 😅

From seeing posts on here, in other groups, and personal experience, the small portion of people that do not complete veterinary school are just as (if not more) likely to stop attending vet school because of burnout or random life developments than grades. Enjoy your summer and don’t waste time studying. You’ll be taught what you need to know with resources they want you to use during the regular curriculum.
Thank you!!!

Second year students at CSU who did well in the first year courses (anatomy, physiology, immunology in the fall; neuro and the microbiology “ologies” in the spring) are hired as tutors who hold evening study sessions for the first year students. These sessions are open to everyone. Highly recommended. I speak from experience: I personally benefitted from these session as a first year so much so that I tutored both semesters in my second year. :)

P.S. Agree with the advice given above. Please, for the love of who or whatever you believe in, do not sign up for a course this summer.
I will definitely take advantage of this, thank you for writing me know!! I’ll try and just relax this summer!

Hey! I had the same thought process as you last summer when I was an incoming first year. The sheer amount of info they want to squish into your brain is pretty intimidating, but you will do AMAZING!!! Relax and hang out as much as you can before school starts (you’ll thank yourself later! 😉)

I definitely understand where you are coming from relative to grades and doing well as I also plan to specialize after school. Do your best to learn the material, improve your skills, make connections, and obtain stellar letters of recommendation! You will be a great veterinarian. Just remember to take a breather every now and then.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users