Online Application vs. Paper Application...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhDshallsee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering which you guys prefer and which you tended to do (assuming the school had both).

I've found that when I do the paper application, it's much, much easier for me to keep track of everything than when I do online applications, but I've heard some schools prefer online vs. paper and I don't want to be at a disadvantage. At the same time, most schools I'm applying require supplemental materials that can't be completed online and must be mailed separate. And all of the general grad school applications to go the office of admissions, and not the department itself...

Of course, if I do paper, there's postage. But I'm okay with that.

Do you really think it matters? Should I try to stick with online, even if I feel I'm more organized when it's on paper?

Members don't see this ad.

They didn't have the online option when I applied, but I do know from my prior editing experience that working with hard copies was much easier for me, and I preferred it because I could 'see' everything. I caught a few mistakes in my application when I was sorting the hard copies to mail. None of them were particularly 'bad', but I wouldn't have caught them if I had e-mailed them.

I had a couple of applications this year for internship that had electronic requirements, and I thought that'd be easier, but I realized I preferred to mail everything, so I could check it out before sending. Cost shouldn't be that big of a deal as long as you aren't over-nighting. I am sending all of my stuff via USPS, and it costs me $4.60 for 2-3 shipping w/(free) delivery confirmation. I am actually off to the post office right now!

-t

A lot of the schools I am applying to state that they prefer the online application. One even waives the application fee if you fill it out online! But I would think that it would be ok to complete the paper copy if you've searched the website and it doesn't state a preferance one way or the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually forgot it was still possible to apply using paper while I was doing it:) Every app for me was online, though all but a few LoRs had to be sent the traditional way. I usually mailed a CV as well since some places don't have spots on the application for it.

I think it depends how you work. I absolutely HAVE to type things, I actually struggle with in class exams because, as lame as this makes me sound, I don't have the wrist and finger endurance for 3 straight hours of writing anymore now that I use my laptop almost exclusively. Plus having it on the computer sort of forces me to organize things, whereas papers get put into my organization system (i.e. giant pile) and are never seen again.

I think most schools prefer online apps, but I doubt any would hold it against you. Just be very careful about handwriting (or even scan the apps in, type them, then print it out).

Mine were pretty evenly split between online and paper. I think two were entirely online, five or so more were online but with paper LORs, and the other six were paper.

I far prefer online. Most of the online apps let you click a button to see what the selection committee will get when they print out your app (and let you proof a hard copy, which I also prefer over proofing online). I also found the online ones WAY easier to organize. If I had needed hard copies of all the dozen forms all 13 of my schools wanted, I'd have gone nuts.

If I had needed hard copies of all the dozen forms all 13 of my schools wanted, I'd have gone nuts.

Or the 20-something folders full of requirements for each internship program I was considering? Each type of requirement had a marker color, odd requests got highlighted, everything was put in order by due date, and missing items were flagged with stickies, and LOR's were written in. Thank god I was able to take over the pool table for the last 1+ month. I should have taken a picture, it looked like a bomb went off in an Office Depot.

I'm down to 4 left!

-t

Do you really think it matters? Should I try to stick with online, even if I feel I'm more organized when it's on paper?

It might be easier for you to fill out paper copies, but it's easier for the school to handle online apps. Submit online when possible. I know of one prof that gets VERY annoyed with paper submissions and it's also really annoying for the office staff.

Most schools that allow online apps (and really, are there any that don't), really prefer you submit it that way. Submitting a paper app probably won't send you to the reject pile, but why give the school you're applying to any more trouble than necessary. Seriously, I've heard major complaints about the applicants who cling to paper applications. I'm sure it varies by school, but I can't imagine it various that much.

Oh and when you submit online, you normally have the opportunity to print out a PDF containing your entire application/essays/etc. It's really handy!

There are a number of programs which waive the application fees or offer drastically reduced fees if you apply online as opposed to a paper application (I do not have the specific school information with me). Even if you do have to pay, you can make a secure online payment instead of sending a check. In addition, if a school has an on-line application and you use the paper one, you run the risk of appearing technologically inept. The schools may hold this against you unless you provide a good reason for submitting a paper application. The schools which do offer an on-line application are the ones to really worry about - how about spending some money to join the 21st Century!

The on-line applications which allow for on-line recommendations are the great ones. However, in a previous thread many people said that their letter writers were technologically inept so that option was no good.

......in a previous thread many people said that their letter writers were technologically inept so that option was no good.

I think I shared my experience with a professor who had never used his computer in his office, it was more of an expensive Post-It Note holder. He's old school (teaching for 40+ years), which tends to happen more than you think. It may take a little longer to get the LORs (having to add the step of admin transcription, printing, etc), so allow extra time. Of course, being November 15th, this advice may be too late for some. :laugh:

-t