Online biochem class???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmoynih

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an online biochem class from an accredited college? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the thing about UNE is it is not really an online course. Its a distance learning course. So everything is on DVD's and your grade comes from one test.

Members don't see this ad :)
https://webapps-prd.oit.umn.edu/courseinfo/viewClassScheduleTermAndSubject.do?campus=UMNTC&searchTerm=UMNTC%2C1113%2CSpring%2C2011%2Cfalse&searchSubject=BIOC%7CBiochemistry+-+BIOC&searchFullYearEnrollmentOnly=false&Submit=View#BIOC3021

The U of MN has a distance learning one, I think you'd have to get your tests proctored though. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the link to find the distance learning section.

Edit: This might be a better link: http://digitalcampus.umn.edu/courses/index.html

Last edited:
Oregon State University E-campus also have an online biochemistry class. I just finish taking the course so if you have questions please feel free to ask.

Oregon State University E-campus also have an online biochemistry class. I just finish taking the course so if you have questions please feel free to ask.

How was it? I took a lot of gen ed courses online so I'm familiar with the way they work but I can't imagine taking an upper level science course online (or through distance ed)!

I'm curious too. I'm thinking of taking an online biochem course there. How was it? Hard? Easy? How do med schools treat these kinds of classes considering it's an online course but still accredited?

Honestly I took UNE(I actually started it and withdrew when I got into a medical school that I wanted that didn't require it.) and I can say I got three forths of the way done with the class and it seems to help somewhat. I ended up making my highest A of Molecular Medicine block in biochem but I can't tell if it was from the course(same book and material as my med. school uses) or if it was because I was very afraid of biochemistry.

Personally, if your school teaches from that particular book then I would say take the course if not don't waste the time or money unless you have it to spare(work paid for my course).

I'm curious too. I'm thinking of taking an online biochem course there. How was it? Hard? Easy? How do med schools treat these kinds of classes considering it's an online course but still accredited?

It's worth noting that I've never seen a transcript that designates a course as being an online course. In that regard, most admissions committees have no idea how you took the course... just that you took it.

The University of Minnesota has an online class, it's fully online except the tests, which you can set up to have proctored anywhere...