online classes??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kibs4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I had some questions regarding online classes...

I decided to stay home for college and went to a 4 year university near me just to save money. Needless to say, my first 2.5 year I was very depressed and lost my motivation and ended up failing a few classes and am finishing this year up with a 2.8 after retakes with 47.0 gap hours earned. I am also very unhappy with my current school and think I need a fresh start. I took this semester off, worked on myself, and am working full time in a healthcare field and now that I am ready to get back into it I think online classes are the best option for me. With the way my other school organized classes I wouldn't be able to work, and I've always performed better in an independent setting.

Would finishing my degree online hurt my chances of applying to med school? By looking at past posts, there seems to be negativity around online labs and "home kits" which I completely agree with. However, I'm looking at Arizona States program and you have to attend the labs in person. Would it still be looked down upon if lectures are online but labs are in person? Also, is it even possible to pull my GPA up, since I don't have that many credits, to a point where I could apply? Or am I just waisting my time?

I appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I had some questions regarding online classes...

I decided to stay home for college and went to a 4 year university near me just to save money. Needless to say, my first 2.5 year I was very depressed and lost my motivation and ended up failing a few classes and am finishing this year up with a 2.8 after retakes with 47.0 gap hours earned. I am also very unhappy with my current school and think I need a fresh start. I took this semester off, worked on myself, and am working full time in a healthcare field and now that I am ready to get back into it I think online classes are the best option for me. With the way my other school organized classes I wouldn't be able to work, and I've always performed better in an independent setting.

Would finishing my degree online hurt my chances of applying to med school? By looking at past posts, there seems to be negativity around online labs and "home kits" which I completely agree with. However, I'm looking at Arizona States program and you have to attend the labs in person. Would it still be looked down upon if lectures are online but labs are in person? Also, is it even possible to pull my GPA up, since I don't have that many credits, to a point where I could apply? Or am I just waisting my time?

I appreciate any feedback!

Not necessarily...Online classes have a unique role to play by bringing quality science courses to students. In my experience as a faculty member, the quality/rigor of courses is quite variable for both on-ground and online/hybrid courses. In preparation for an interview, if I were in your shoes, I would be able to articulate why you chose the online route as opposed to an on-ground route. I would also suggest that your MCAT scores become more important (relatively speaking) when you take online courses.

Recently, I had a student take my online general chemistry 1 and 2 courses (with labs). I also wrote a stellar letter of recommendation for that student and it helped her receive a nice scholarship.

Being able to work/study/learn independently is a great attribute to develop. This trait is definitely needed in the health professions as continuing education needed throughout your career. I would definitely mention this aspect during an interview.

I should note that medical schools (USC in particular) utilize hybrid courses. (I personally observed this.) Hearing a recorded lecture and then doing the lab is totally fine.

Please let me know if I could be of further help to you.

Not necessarily...Online classes have a unique role to play by bringing quality science courses to students. In my experience as a faculty member, the quality/rigor of courses is quite variable for both on-ground and online/hybrid courses. In preparation for an interview, if I were in your shoes, I would be able to articulate why you chose the online route as opposed to an on-ground route. I would also suggest that your MCAT scores become more important (relatively speaking) when you take online courses.

Recently, I had a student take my online general chemistry 1 and 2 courses (with labs). I also wrote a stellar letter of recommendation for that student and it helped her receive a nice scholarship.

Being able to work/study/learn independently is a great attribute to develop. This trait is definitely needed in the health professions as continuing education needed throughout your career. I would definitely mention this aspect during an interview.

I should note that medical schools (USC in particular) utilize hybrid courses. (I personally observed this.) Hearing a recorded lecture and then doing the lab is totally fine.

Please let me know if I could be of further help to you.

This was extremely helpful and motivating for me! Thank you for your perspective as an instructor. I was also in the thought that having my MCAT being great would prove the competency of what I am learning through the coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the general consensus is that online science classes are frowned upon, but hopefully someone like Goro will chime in. From what you're saying though, it sounds like you're looking at a hybrid class perhaps.

If you lost your motivation while attending classes, I doubt your motivation is going to be enhanced by even less-stringent standards.

Why do you think you'll perform better in an independent setting? Just skip class if that's truly the case. I've had a few classes were I just showed up for the exams. I get credit for it being a "real" class and I can learn on my own time. Why not just do that?

Yes, labs are completed during the summer period at ASU's labs on campus.

Not to say I lost motivation from the classes necessarily. It was more of what was going on in my life as a whole (I.e. depression) that carried over to my classes too and then impacted my grades in a negative way.

Thats a really great point! I have tried that and it did not work out in my favor always. Some of my science classes don't post lectures, require graded attendance if they are not in a lecture hall where you can get away with it, etc. Which sucks because the class where lectures were posted and I could manage skipping, I got the highest grades.

I also want to be able to continue working (12 hr shifts) which is hard when you have classes M-F, and doing everything I am doing (I.e. travel).

Thank you!!

They have selective acceptance. And those that accept them prefer not.

With good reason - with the one that has the widest acceptance - UNE - you're talking about bad lectures, unrelated exams, rampant cheating.

Take them at a CC

Reactions: 1 user
They have selective acceptance. And those that accept them prefer not.

With good reason - with the one that has the widest acceptance - UNE - you're talking about bad lectures, unrelated exams, rampant cheating.

Take them at a CC
I can see what you're saying. I'm not sure if Arizona State would be different. From what it says, profs use the same lectures and material as their B&M taught classes. It also says the exams are proctored but I will have to look into it. Thank you!

I can see what you're saying. I'm not sure if Arizona State would be different. From what it says, profs use the same lectures and material as their B&M taught classes. It also says the exams are proctored but I will have to look into it. Thank you!

All of my exams (for both on-ground and on-line/hybrid classes) are open book, open notes, and open-internet (students are encouraged to use Google/YouTube, etc.). Students are also encouraged to work together and discuss the questions with others. My approach is rather different than conventional classes.

All of my exams (for both on-ground and on-line/hybrid classes) are open book, open notes, and open-internet (students are encouraged to use Google/YouTube, etc.). Students are also encouraged to work together and discuss the questions with others. My approach is rather different than conventional classes.
so you'd be in agreement that they are of the same rigor?

so you'd be in agreement that they are of the same rigor?

In principle, they should be of the same rigor, especially if they are the same course number and course description. It is the job of the curriculum committee or the Dean to make sure that on-ground and on-line classes are as similar as possible.