Online classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Looking for some truth. I'm going to list all my stats/intentions for the future then ask my question.

I graduated undergrad in 2014 with a liberal arts degree, 3.26 cGPA and essentially no sGPA. I did okay but basically never studied and frankly didn't care about school because I was dealing with coming to terms with being transgender.

6 years later, I'm feeling fairly complete with my transition and work as a software engineer full time, coding instructor part time. I also got a STEAM (STEM + art) MS degree with a 3.95 GPA. I've been promoted at least once at every job and am generally rated at above average or exceptional for every sort of performance review I've had, etc.

Basically, I'm a high performer professionally and should be able to get solid recommendations. I also work for a startup owned by doctors who have agreed to let me shadow sometimes post-covid.

I finally realized that I want to be a doctor about a year ago, and started doing pre-reqs this past summer. Due to COVID, everything is online. So far, I've completed Trig (B+), Bio 1 plus lab (A), and a required technical writing class (A). This semester I'm on track to finish Bio 2 plus lab, Precalc, and Gen Psych with straight As. Next semester I'm taking Calc 1 and studying to place into the Gen Chem 1 class for summer semester. All of these are online because I currently work 60+ hours a week or so.

I intend to take the 4 chem classes, A+P 1-2, Physics 1-2, Biochem and Microbio before studying for MCAT and doing my first round of applications. If my first round fails, I'll likely just finish a second BS degree in Microbio at University of Florida before applying again.

I've been volunteering about 5 hours a week with 7cups because I'm interested in Psychiatry, and am hoping to find a free clinic to volunteer with post-covid (none nearby are taking volunteers again yet) or possibly get an EMT license and volunteer through that route. I also mentor disadvantaged young women interested in software careers.

My school list is basically all the Florida state schools as well as a few private ones that I acknowledge I probably have no chance on but may as well apply because F R E E T U I T I O N (Kaiser Permanente, NYU, etc). My top choices are UF and UCF. I am not currently interested in DO schools but may reexamine later if I get feedback that I'm crazy, lol.

Frankly, I'm worried that my application is going to get tossed in the garbage if all my pre-reqs are online but I'm not sure what else I can do to prove that I'm academically ready considering that my local college doesn't offer night classes. If I don't continue to work the hours I am, it's going to put a huge strain on my family. But I also can't necessarily just leave for 4 hours in the middle of work to go do a chem lab.

What did y'all do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am also an engineer turned premed; I graduated in 2017 and had to take most of my chem classes while working full time. There aren't many night class options where I live, so I took most of them online. I haven't had any issues from schools regarding this fact and I have 5 acceptances so far this cycle (including FL state schools.) Even the one school I applied to whose website said online classes were "strictly prohibited" changed their tune when I emailed them directly and explained my situation.

I think there is a big difference between taking a class online because you're trying to take the "easy" route (although I don't think taking upper level science classes at home aka teaching yourself is necessarily easier but that is a tangent) and taking a class online because you literally have no other option. In my experience, schools are becoming more and more open to considering online coursework, specifically in the case of nontrads. COVID has done a lot to change the perception of online coursework as well.

Thanks for your response Annie. It was my hope that COVID would change the perception. Honestly, I don't think the online classes are any easier. It's not like we just take the test with access to Google, everything is proctored. The main thing I can see being a disadvantage is not having experience at the lab bench, but I'm trying to get some kind of part-time research gig to round that out so hopefully that'll be less of a concern.

What was your approach to messaging the schools? Is it weird to email them ahead of time and ask questions like this do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response Annie. It was my hope that COVID would change the perception. Honestly, I don't think the online classes are any easier. It's not like we just take the test with access to Google, everything is proctored. The main thing I can see being a disadvantage is not having experience at the lab bench, but I'm trying to get some kind of part-time research gig to round that out so hopefully that'll be less of a concern.

What was your approach to messaging the schools? Is it weird to email them ahead of time and ask questions like this do you think?
Happy to help!

I completely agree regarding the online classes. I felt like I was basically teaching myself when doing coursework online and virtual office hours are not nearly as beneficial as in person. It's pretty hard to ask chemistry questions via email haha.

I don't think there's anything weird about emailing them ahead of time. Most schools have an org box listed on their admissions page (that's what I used) or you can attend a virtual info session and ask the question then. Because it's the middle of a particularly crazy admissions cycle right now response times might be a bit slow re: online classes but they will reply eventually. Or, you could wait to shoot them an email after the rush of interview season has ended.

Just a question for you all when you said you took most of your pre med courses online. Are you all taking them from a community college online or a university?

Just a question for you all when you said you took most of your pre med courses online. Are you all taking them from a community college online or a university?
I took mine at the University of New England.

I'm taking mine at a CC that has a strong relationship with my top choice school. Apparently after googling, it's won an award as a top CC in the country within the past couple years. Not sure if that counts for much anywhere else though, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
If I don't get in the first time, I'll be adding some upper levels taken at UF though. So hopefully if they hate the CC prereqs, UF upper divisions will assuage some fears.

Reactions: 1 user
I took them wherever was cheapest - I'm in Public Health, so not exactly rolling in the dough! However, that's resulted in a multitude of transcripts.

how did you like that courses here? I am super non trad and considering retaking my prreqs this way...also, i have kids.

Cons:
1. Stupid expensive, especially compared to a community college
2. For general chemistry it was tough to get help over email/video chat; I like in person assistance better. Also sometimes the professors were too slow to reply to emails or didn't show up for office hours. This was less of an issue for biochemistry because I could read the textbook/watch AK lectures for the things I found especially challenging.

Pros:
1. Self-paced meant I didn't need to go to class after work, which was great.

It was fine, but not great. I work full time and am married (but no kiddos) so the flexibility was great but I would have preferred in person interaction when it came to getting help on some of the tougher topics. If I could have taken all of my prereqs in person I would have done that, but it wasn't an option for me so I made UNE work.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need more info.

Cons:
1. Stupid expensive, especially compared to a community college
2. For general chemistry it was tough to get help over email/video chat; I like in person assistance better. Also sometimes the professors were too slow to reply to emails or didn't show up for office hours. This was less of an issue for biochemistry because I could read the textbook/watch AK lectures for the things I found especially challenging.

Pros:
1. Self-paced meant I didn't need to go to class after work, which was great.

It was fine, but not great. I work full time and am married (but no kiddos) so the flexibility was great but I would have preferred in person interaction when it came to getting help on some of the tougher topics. If I could have taken all of my prereqs in person I would have done that, but it wasn't an option for me so I made UNE work.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need more info.
I'm currently in a post-bacc program but due to the timing of classes I won't be able to take Biochem as part of it. Would you recommend taking the UNE Biochem course prior to the MCAT vs. trying to self-study? I think the only school I'm looking at that actually has Biochem as a requirement (vs. Orgo 1/2 being acceptable) is UNE.

I'm currently in a post-bacc program but due to the timing of classes I won't be able to take Biochem as part of it. Would you recommend taking the UNE Biochem course prior to the MCAT vs. trying to self-study? I think the only school I'm looking at that actually has Biochem as a requirement (vs. Orgo 1/2 being acceptable) is UNE.
It's hard to say since I don't know what it is like to take the MCAT without taking biochem first, you know? I did find myself falling back on things I had learned in biochem while studying for the MCAT so it definitely was useful. Then again, the MCAT isn't really a subject test and there are a lot of online resources you could use to fill knowledge gaps if you don't take it. Are you pretty productive at self studying or do you learn better in a classroom environment?

It's hard to say since I don't know what it is like to take the MCAT without taking biochem first, you know? I did find myself falling back on things I had learned in biochem while studying for the MCAT so it definitely was useful. Then again, the MCAT isn't really a subject test and there are a lot of online resources you could use to fill knowledge gaps if you don't take it. Are you pretty productive at self studying or do you learn better in a classroom environment?
Thanks, that makes sense.