Online Courses at Harvard Extension?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnimoyw

Reaction score
I am an older nontrad, just considering this path as a career changer. Back in undergrad (15+ years ago), I took Chem 1, Bio 1, and Calc 1 - but otherwise have no prereqs under my belt and have worked in a totally non-science career for the last 10+ years. I've likely forgotten everything I learned back then and my grades were okay, but not great (A- and B's).

Two questions: since I already took those courses at a "real college" would it be a ding to retake them online at UNE, Harvard Extension, or elsewhere?

For courses I haven't taken, would HES Online be advisable? I was considering their Bio II course in the Spring (sub question: does it build a lot on Bio 1 such that I should retake Bio 1 first?). I realize that many schools won't take online prereqs but I was considering taking a few of these early prereqs online and then if I move forward, taking some of the harder courses - O-Chem, Biochem - at a four-year university to show that I can hang with the work.

Thoughts on this plan? People seem to speak highly of HES generally but I wasn't sure if that extends to their online courses as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not take your prerequisites online. Most admissions/pre-health advisors I've heard advise against it, and some grad schools downright do not accept these courses, especially because how would you get the lab component? Online is okay for English/lib arts but it sounds like you already have an undergrad degree? Many prereq courses "expire" after 7 yrs in the eyes of med school (they *might* let you slide for something like chem/Bio 1, call and ask). I don't know much about Harvard extension other than I tried their free biochem course and it was pretty...elementary? UNE was the only med school to outwardly reject me because I only had 1 psych-coded course (and ignored me completely when I appealed that my harder neurobio and plethora of education and ethics courses should compensate) so to me they feel...non-student-centered. If you decide on med school, do it the way 90+% of us do it: prereqs at a University, in-person. :) Good luck!

@8YearsLate but what about the current situation where most, if not all, universities are online due to the pandemic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that actually the case?
There's a difference between enrolling in a class that's intended to be face-to-face and being forced to attend online, vs. enrolling in an online course. I would avoid a course that's coded as online at all costs. Also, classes will resume in person when each University, in its own time, establishes that it is safe. I, personally, would be pretty devastated if the class I'm spending $200 a day on was reduced to essentially a YouTube video and a Zoom call. Universities are/should be making every effort to phase back in a fully-accessible facility. Anything less is irresponsible to the people footing the bill.

There's a difference between enrolling in a class that's intended to be face-to-face and being forced to attend online, vs. enrolling in an online course. I would avoid a course that's coded as online at all costs. Also, classes will resume in person when each University, in its own time, establishes that it is safe. I, personally, would be pretty devastated if the class I'm spending $200 a day on was reduced to essentially a YouTube video and a Zoom call. Universities are/should be making every effort to phase back in a fully-accessible facility. Anything less is irresponsible to the people footing the bill.

Medical schools prefer in-person classes as well, as do I. I was simply questioning the assertion that "most, if not all" universities are online. My classes are all in-person this semester.

Medical schools prefer in-person classes as well, as do I. I was simply questioning the assertion that "most, if not all" universities are online. My classes are all in-person this semester.

Really? Where are you taking classes? I’ve looked into two post bacc programs to begin taking my courses for next semester. And both of them are online.

i guess it depends where you live. where i live i cant even eat indoors at a restaurant let alone sit in a classroom with 30 people.

HES classes are fine. All HES classes are online this year due to covid.

Reactions: 1 user
Really? Where are you taking classes? I’ve looked into two post bacc programs to begin taking my courses for next semester. And both of them are online.

At a public university in a state with a mask mandate. We wear masks indoors and haven’t had a huge outbreak on campus. Semester is half over already, so it appears to be working. I’m not in a post program.

i guess it depends where you live. where i live i cant even eat indoors at a restaurant let alone sit in a classroom with 30 people.

Where I am, it is the exact same situation. All schools (K-12 and colleges) are all online. The government just mentioned that Thanksgiving will be done virtually.

I took biochemistry at HES and was not an issue. Current M1

Reactions: 1 users
I had to take a few of my prereqs online because I live in a rural area (through no choice of my own, am military) and some of the classes simply weren't offered anywhere near me. I have 3 acceptances so far this cycle and not a single school has given me a hard time about my online courses. Even the one school whose website specifically stated they would only allow online classes during spring 2020 for "COVID reasons" changed their tune when I emailed them and described my situation.

If you have the choice, in person is better. You will learn more, you will get to know your professor better, and you might even score an LOR out of the experience. But, if online is your only option, that is A-OK.

Reactions: 2 users