Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,
I am attending Liberty online, for their Computer information management degree. The degree does not specify online degree, and it's fully accredited, through liberty, just like any other Liberty University degree (which you may or may not know, is an actual physical university).

I am also taking ALL of my "big 10" science/math pre-reqs SEPARATELY at a Physical location at a different university.

If anyone might know...I am curious as to whether or not having done my B.S. online will affect my opportunities. I have a very specific Medical School in mind (a couple of them), both VCU and Eastern, in Virginia.

I am expected to graduate this year...
Thank you...
HopefulFuture

Last edited:

Hello,
I am attending Liberty online, for their Computer information management degree. The degree does not specify online degree, and it's fully accredited, through liberty, just like any other Liberty University degree (which you may or may not know, is an actual physical university).

I am also taking ALL of my "big 10" science/math pre-reqs SEPARATELY at a Physical location at a different university.

If anyone might know...I am curious as to whether or not having done my B.S. online will affect my opportunities. I have a very specific Medical School in mind (a couple of them), both VCU and Eastern, in Virginia.

Thank you...
HopefulFuture
You can make an anonymous call to your choice schools and get further clarification, but they will probably not be very receptive to an online degree. Regardless, if it doesn't indicate anywhere that it is online then you should be fine.

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm sorry, I'm unsure what you mean.

Please, if you have a more informative answer, I'd be glad to hear it.
Where I come from, Liberty is a well respected university.
How do you plan on passing the MCAT with Biology from Liberty? They teach you that Adam and Eve were riding around on T-Rex and high-fiving Velociraptor. I would highly, highly suggest taking Biology elsewhere...or any science course, for that matter.

edit: Just saw that your science courses are at another university...good. :)

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I would rather apply to med school without a degree than with one from liberty university.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
wow, seems the liberal open-minded acceptance policy lapsed already. :rolleyes:

To actually address your question OP, I honestly dont know. I dont think anyone on here really would. The advice about calling the med schools and asking is good. I would think since your taking your pre-reqs at a physical location it really shouldn't be too much of an issue. thats just my own opinion though.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

JoshUNCW

Comp Sci Geek
Nov 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Status
Pre-Medical
I would just make sure you get good grades. THEN, make sure you KILL the MCAT as that will help put any questions to rest about your online degree. If you do really well and apply broadly (more than just those two schools...) you probably have a shot somewhere.

Mar 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
wow, seems the liberal open-minded acceptance policy lapsed already. :rolleyes:

To actually address your question OP, I honestly dont know. I dont think anyone on here really would. The advice about calling the med schools and asking is good. I would think since your taking your pre-reqs at a physical location it really shouldn't be too much of an issue. thats just my own opinion though.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
How do you know the above posters are liberals, they could just be jerks?

I know plenty of conservative atheists who might have responded in an even more vitriolic manner. Please keep your stereotyping to yourself.

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I know plenty of conservative atheists who might have responded in an even more vitriolic manner. Please keep your stereotyping to yourself.
I'm a conservative Christian and I think Liberty is awful. Their "natural history museum" is a complete insult in science. Coupled with the blatant biggotry of their founder(Jerry Falwell), that school just gives me the creeps.

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How do you plan on passing the MCAT with Biology from Liberty? They teach you that Adam and Eve were riding around on T-Rex and high-fiving Velociraptor. I would highly, highly suggest taking Biology elsewhere...or any science course, for that matter.

edit: Just saw that your science courses are at another university...good. :)
I think this was really rude- I looked at many Christian universities (including Liberty where I sat in Bio courses) before deciding to take the full ride from my state school... they do lean towards Creationism (but not flying around on dinosaurs) but they also teach the Darwinian theory and some professors actually believe it (at my state school the Bio Chair was a Christian who had an entire focus on Evolutionary Biology)...

I might also say that I homeschooled used Christian science books through HS (that also covered both views) and got my degree with Honors in Biology (including taking a whole course in Evolution)- and am currently in medical school.

OP- I think you should be fine- if you take the coursework and earn the degree it doesn't really matter- Liberty is a good school... my only caution to you is the science courses you take should not all be done at a Community College- many adcoms look down on that- so hopefully you are able to take them at a full 4 year school that is close to home.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
not to open this terrible can of worms, but to say that some of their professors of biology believe in evolution is like saying some of their physics professors believe in gravity. if there is a significant number to the contrary, then it is a problem.

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think this was really rude- I looked at many Christian universities (including Liberty where I sat in Bio courses) before deciding to take the full ride from my state school... they do lean towards Creationism (but not flying around on dinosaurs) but they also teach the Darwinian theory and some professors actually believe it (at my state school the Bio Chair was a Christian who had an entire focus on Evolutionary Biology)...

I might also say that I homeschooled used Christian science books through HS (that also covered both views) and got my degree with Honors in Biology (including taking a whole course in Evolution)- and am currently in medical school.

OP- I think you should be fine- if you take the coursework and earn the degree it doesn't really matter- Liberty is a good school... my only caution to you is the science courses you take should not all be done at a Community College- many adcoms look down on that- so hopefully you are able to take them at a full 4 year school that is close to home.
My father is an ordained minister from Liberty University and I have visited the campus many times. I go to school an hour away from it. It's not like I'm googling this...I've seen it first hand. They brush on evolution like most universities brush on intelligent design. I don't even want to know what their genetics classes are like.

I have nothing against Christianity(I have a cross tattooed on my arm and am a devout Christian), and I think it's fine to believe in Young Earth Creationism...but the methods that they use completely ignore the scientific method.

Perhaps I came on a bit too strong, and for that I apologize. But I was serious about possibly taking your science courses elsewhere.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind

:laugh::laugh: Please dont bring in your resentment from other threads and follow me around. Its not unrealistic to say liberal ideals are not in line with Liberty Universities. You really arguing that fact?

The belief system of those responding is moot. The unwillingness to accept other's beliefs or ideals is just repulsive. Oh, and I've "known" some of these guys on SDN for a while and I know they are in fact liberal. Although to defend those stereotypical responses by saying not to be stereotyping is funny.

Chilax, seriously. Can we be done with this little spat now?

I'm a conservative Christian and I think Liberty is awful. Their "natural history museum" is a complete insult in science. Coupled with the blatant biggotry of their founder(Jerry Falwell), that school just gives me the creeps.
Thats cool, and I'm not saying your wrong, was just addressing the rather rude and insulting posts that came out so quickly on the thread. For all I know the OP is just trolling, but we dont have to be so closed-minded do we?

I home schooled most of my life as well and seem to be doing just fine. :thumbup: I agree with the CC idea, although nearly ever one of my pre-reqs was from CC. But coupled with an online degree, I would agree 100%.

not to open this terrible can of worms, but to say that some of their professors of biology believe in evolution is like saying some of their physics professors believe in gravity. if there is a significant number to the contrary, then it is a problem.
I think you just did.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

thankfully, i'm both a liberal AND a jerk.

:laugh::laugh: Please dont bring in your resentment from other threads and follow me around. Its not unrealistic to say liberal ideals are not in line with Liberty Universities. You really arguing that fact?

The belief system of those responding is moot. The unwillingness to accept other's beliefs or ideals is just repulsive. Oh, and I've "known" some of these guys on SDN for a while and I know they are in fact liberal. Although to defend those stereotypical responses by saying not to be stereotyping is funny.
it's also not unrealistic to say classically conservative ideals are not in line with Liberty's either. where are you getting that there is an unwillingness to accept others' beliefs?

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My father is an ordained minister from Liberty University and I have visited the campus many times. I go to school an hour away from it. It's not like I'm googling this...I've seen it first hand. They brush on evolution like most universities brush on intelligent design. I don't even want to know what their genetics classes are like.

I have nothing against Christianity(I have a cross tattooed on my arm and am a devout Christian), and I think it's fine to believe in Young Earth Creationism...but the methods that they use completely ignore the scientific method.

Perhaps I came on a bit too strong, and for that I apologize. But I was serious about possibly taking your science courses elsewhere.
Thanks for this post- I didn't have issues with the lectures when I was there but I only sat in a few- I didn't like the atmosphere and ruled it out very fast (never even applied). Best of luck to you next year starting medical school- get a lot of rest this summer!

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
it's also not unrealistic to say classically conservative ideals are not in line with Liberty's either.
Nope, didn't say it was. I agree with you there. However, socially conservative ideals tend to be closer to them than socially liberal ideals. Just an observation.

where are you getting that there is an unwillingness to accept others' beliefs?
:laugh::laugh:

They teach you that Adam and Eve were riding around on T-Rex and high-fiving Velociraptor.
I would rather apply to med school without a degree than with one from liberty university.
to say that some of their professors of biology believe in evolution is like saying some of their physics professors believe in gravity. if there is a significant number to the contrary, then it is a problem.

elektroshok

10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2007
I would just make sure you get good grades. THEN, make sure you KILL the MCAT as that will help put any questions to rest about your online degree. If you do really well and apply broadly (more than just those two schools...) you probably have a shot somewhere.
I agree with this.

I think its the same 'rule of thumb' - like if you took classes at a CC and did well, and ALSO did well on the MCAT it isn't a big deal.

But if you do really well at CC or Online or whatever and have a medicore MCAT questions will be raised.

Mar 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Oh no, this post was well before we had our argument! Though if you want to link them, alright.

I was just upset that you're tying this sort of intolerance to liberalism. When it comes to health care I am somewhat liberal, yet I as I said, I didn't defend those people at all, I called them jerks and I feel that they are. You brought politics into a non-political thread and tried to attach their bias to a larger political movement.

I assume you'd be offended if I stated that racism is a conservative problem, which is kinda what you said. You came off as saying Baptist intolerance is a liberal thing.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
VTBuc is clearly making a joke, and neither teenmachinery1 nor i are being unaccepting of anyone's beliefs.

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Status
Resident [Any Field]

This isn't Liberty's creation museum...but they'd have a display just like it if they could.

They honestly teach you that T-Rex was a vegetarian and that Adam and Even were best friends with it. I am not joking.

On a bit of an off-note...that's a lovely model of a Wandering Jew Plant by the girl. :)

Feb 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

This isn't Liberty's creation museum...but they'd have a display just like it if they could.

They honestly teach you that T-Rex was a vegetarian and that Adam and Even were best friends with it. I am not joking.

On a bit of an off-note...that's a lovely model of a Wandering Jew Plant by the girl. :)
I believe the real threat in this picture is the squirrel-like critter in front of her. They were carnivorous pack animals during that time period.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
I was just upset that you're tying this sort of intolerance to liberalism. When it comes to health care I am somewhat liberal, yet I as I said, I didn't defend those people at all, I called them jerks and I feel that they are. You brought politics into a non-political thread and tried to attach their bias to a larger political movement.

I assume you'd be offended if I stated that racism is a conservative problem, which is kinda what you said. You came off as saying Baptist intolerance is a liberal thing.
I think your applying too much to my statement. Your trying to make my specific statement apply to all liberals in every area of debate. Simply not what I said. Also, liberalism isn't specifically political, I assume you dont mean to say the word liberal only applies to politics? This is ridiculous, its a semantics argument. Liberal sentiment towards places like Liberty University is not unrealistic or not reality. Can we just drop it? We disagree, big surprise.

VTBuc is clearly making a joke, and neither teenmachinery1 nor i are being unaccepting of anyone's beliefs.
Ok, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

This is what I'm referring to. Joke or not, its intolerant to those who differ in their beliefs. Well, this isn't really from Liberty University, but trust me (because I say so), they would do it if they thought of it. C'mon, seriously? No one is trying to defend Liberty University, but to deny the illogical emotionally charged intolerant responses on this thread is just as "eyes wide shut".

I'm done, this is ******ed....yes ******ed.

morning

butane in my veins
Feb 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
This is what I'm referring to. Joke or not, its intolerant to those who differ in their beliefs. Well, this isn't really from Liberty University, but trust me (because I say so), they would do it if they thought of it. C'mon, seriously? No one is trying to defend Liberty University, but to deny the illogical emotionally charged intolerant responses on this thread is just as "eyes wide shut".
You don't get to believe or disbelieve in evolution...it is a fact whether you admit it or not. You either accept that it is a fact or you are willfully ignorant. If I came here and claimed that the earth is flat, gravity is "just" a theory and the sun is revolving around us and not the other way around, I would be rightfully laughed at.

I have no idea if hopefulfuture has any opinion about Liberty University at all. Hopefully he/she stays hopeful. Snark towards Liberty University is NOT snark towards the OP.

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I'm done, this is ******ed....yes ******ed.
Funny that you lecture me on tolerance and then use such an archaic and ignorant term as "******ed" in the same post.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
Funny that you lecture me on tolerance and then use such an archaic and ignorant term as "******ed" in the same post.
:laugh: Sorry just had to respond to this. I'm glad you picked that up, I said it twice in hopes someone would. That was really my point, I was poking fun at the hypocrisy in this thread. Glad it wasn't a waste on everyone.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
getting back on track, i'm really interested to know how adcoms view degrees from schools like liberty

JoshUNCW

Comp Sci Geek
Nov 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Status
Pre-Medical
getting back on track, i'm really interested to know how adcoms view degrees from schools like liberty
I really don't think we should be questioning a degree from liberty... The point of this thread was to discuss an online degree.

Liberty is an accredited private university and has been so for 30 years. It offers doctorate degrees. There's a lot of small state universities all throughout this country that probably have less resources, crappier professors, and easier admittance requirements.

My point isn't to boost liberty, I probably wouldn't wanna take bio there either. I'm just saying, lets keep the conversation on track. Which is the online degree.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would think that a med school would admit someone who holds an online degree only in very special personal circumstances.

Jan 17, 2010
Status
I think there are many accredited schools whose graduates are viewed with some skepticism or given added scrutiny because of the nature or reputation of such schools. Especially given how many med school faculty and adcoms seem to be anything but doctrinaire conservatives.

To get back off track for a second, there are many like the Falwells and others who follow and espouse fundamentalist dogma like creationism that most find preposterous. If they keep their personal views personal, I have no problem with them. When people hypocritically seek to impose their personal views on others, and especially when they try to do so by influencing public policy and governmental actions, at that point I think they forfeit any right to fair treatment.

stimulus package
Dec 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

thamsenman

Removed
Dec 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
This still does not prove that curbye can get into Jeff from her not-online university.

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status
regardless... people got into medical school. which should put to rest the question of whether people from liberty can get in.
That still doesn't address whether or not people with online degrees can get in. It was my understanding that such things were frowned upon.

thamsenman

Removed
Dec 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

saveourpens

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How does someone "believe" in evolutionary biology??? LOL the things religion does to people...

Tin Man

Man o' Tin Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Status
I have a feeling that the adcoms are going to question the OP's ability to function in a classroom setting after having gotten an online degree. After all, two different types of traits are used in studying and learning for classroom lecturing versus online PDFs. No fifteen minute breaks when you get bored, no listening to music, no Google...

Not saying that it's necessarily easier or harder to get an online degree over an in-house degree, and I'm not saying that the OP is deficient in these experinces. But the learning environment is different, and (as a guy who's taken a couple of online courses) significantly less stressful. The OP is almost certainly going to have to demonstrate the ability to function academically in an environment more similar to a medical school, not the apartment.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Hello,

Thank you...
HopefulFuture
I am a 4th year at VCU. The adcom here tends to take a more strict view of things like community college. If I were going to advise you, I'd recommend against doing the online school, but it's kinda a done deal at this point.

If you are working, it will be a bit of a different story beacuse I imagine the online courses will actually fit into your schedule better. I would give them an anonymous call if I were you 804-828-9629