Online degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monquin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering trying to obtain a degree online from an actual brick and mortar, accredited university in my state.
I know this may not seem like a wise decision...but is it actually going to KILL me when I apply to medical schools? Will they just glance at my application and laugh?

Another thought is taking two years at a community college on campus and then finishing the last two (or plus) years online from a brick and mortar, accredited university.
Is that any better?

Or would it just be better to do two years at a community college and then two years actually on campus at a university?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

my opinion is if they can't tell the that the classes are online, who is going to know. there are online programs in my state offered by the state schools and the better private schools, and there are extension programs offered in the same way. who is going to know which one it is if you don't live near the specific school.

If it is a respected accredited university with a solid reputation for this medium, and if a lot of its courses are writing intensive using one of the various, accepted, academic, writing-research styles--and the schools within it are reputable, strong math programs are good too, etc, then it should be alright, SO LONG as you take your premed sciences and higher level science courses in a brick and mortar with actual, in-class labs and face-to-face interactions with profs/TAs.

I would definitely steer clear of pre-med sciences or higher level natural science courses that are solely on line. If they hybrid them, but still, they have solid, in-class labs, etc, that may be OK too. Do your research. When in doubt, contact some med schools to which you will be applying.