Online diabetes resouces for patients?

Started by pinkyrx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinkyrx

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of any good online resources for patient with diabetes? I had a techy elderly patient with diabetes come in today and he asked if I knew of any good websites that he could check out to learn more about his diabetes, proper nutrition etc.


I was just wondering if you guys knew of good resources other than the obvious American Diabetes Assocation website. (http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp) I'm particularly looking for ones that are patient friendly and not so much clinician based.

Thanks!
 
In case anyone else is interested in this type of thing, I just found this:
http://www.diabetes.org/for-health-professionals-and-scientists/CVD.jsp

The handouts below are in PDF format and you will need Acrobat Reader to view each topic. Download and print a master copy, and photocopy the handouts for your patients. A hardcopy or CDRom of the toolkit is available free for health care professionals. To order, please call 1-800-DIABETES (342-2383) and specify whether you want CDRom or hard copy.

They have everything available for download on that website and it has some pretty good information for patients.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Shizelbs said:
Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.
I've been looking at the website and discovered that they even have little video clips that help explain the basic concepts of diabetes to patients. (provided so that clinicians can use them in their practice)
 
If you find a nice chart listing foods and their respective glycemic burden/index, let us know. I've been wanting that for a while now. I'll post too if I can find it.