Online Executive MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olbaid07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. Last time I lurked was as a MS4 seeking advice and knowledge regarding the match and malignant residencies. Fast forward 6 years and I am newly minted Anesthesiology attending working at an academic institution.

The Facts:
1) I work for a wonderful academic institution
2) My job satisfaction is very high
3) My benefits and pay structure is very fair and very transparent
4) The program has a fund in place for faculty to pursue higher education
5) My program is willing to pay for me to get an executive MBA degree

My goals for the MBA:
1) Secure my position within the institution
2) Avail myself to participation on committees
3) Expand my knowledge base regarding the business side of medicine
4) Position myself for promotions

I have done some research into the many places that offer the online executive degree and regretfully the information is sparse and disorganized. Way too much promotion and advertisement and not enough details. The list of programs with a physician / healthcare oriented online executive MBA are as follows:
1)George Washington University
2) Auburn
3) Florida International University
4) Drexel (healthcare elective)
5) Northeastern (healthcare elective)
6) University of Alabama (healthcare elective)

My questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience with these programs?
2) Are there other programs out there that offer executive online MBA degrees focused on healthcare?
3) Has anyone graduated from these programs and can lend their insight?
4) Does it make that big a difference between going for a healthcare specific versus a general MBA?

Thank you for your time and responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. Last time I lurked was as a MS4 seeking advice and knowledge regarding the match and malignant residencies. Fast forward 6 years and I am newly minted Anesthesiology attending working at an academic institution.

The Facts:
1) I work for a wonderful academic institution
2) My job satisfaction is very high
3) My benefits and pay structure is very fair and very transparent
4) The program has a fund in place for faculty to pursue higher education

My goals for the MBA:
1) Secure my position within the institution
2) Avail myself to participation on committees
3) Expand my knowledge base regarding the business side of medicine
4) Position myself for promotions

I have done some research into the many places that offer the online executive degree and regretfully the information is sparse and disorganized. Way too much promotion and advertisement and not enough details. The list of programs with a physician / healthcare oriented online executive MBA are as follows:
1)George Washington University
2) Auburn
3) Florida International University
4) Drexel (healthcare elective)
5) Northeastern (healthcare elective)
6) University of Alabama (healthcare elective)

My questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience with these programs?
2) Are there other programs out there that offer executive online MBA degrees focused on healthcare?
3) Has anyone graduated from these programs and can lend their insight?
4) Does it make that big a difference between going for a healthcare specific versus a general MBA?

Thank you for your time and responses.
Take a look at my post in the allo forum under an MBA thread. Indiana has a new Business of Medicine degree program which you may find interesting.

A completely online program wouldn't be ideal for an mba, IMO; a healthcare oriented MSc would be better, especially one that complements your clinical training and has a business side which wouldn't remove you too far from practice (e.g. reimbursement for new procedures, device development, etc.).

I talked with the director of Indiana university's MBA last year and think it's a good program, too, even though he went to Cambridge.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)