General Admissions & OTCAS Online Medical Terminology Course that is Accredited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therealsitic1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an online medical terminology course that is accepted by most OT schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I took one at a local technical college for 3 credits. That might be something to look into. If there isn't one in your area you can check out Madison Area Technical College. They always offer it online- spring, summer, and fall semsters. The final is usually in person but if you don't live in the area you can get some to proctor the final for you.

An online offering from an accredited community college in your area should be sufficient. Not all CCs have online courses, but it tends to be more common than at a regular 4-year school. I took a 1-credit med term course at my local CC, which is Northern Virginia Community College (www.nvcc.edu); they are a large CC system in the DC area and are definitely accredited, so I'm sure any school would accept a course from them. I actually did all of my prereqs there, and was pleasantly surprise by the quality of the majority of the instructors. Cost for out of state students is about $350 per credit. Depending on how many credits you need, I'd recommend the course I took from NVCC; it's completely online, super easy, offered all year round and in an 8-week accelerated format, and if for some reason you couldn't go to the testing center (out of state, etc) they do e-proctoring for exams. And I was accepted into OT programs with it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Saddleback College just opened its Medical Terminology course online. It's under Health Sciences HSC 201. You learn lot, pretty popular there

I had to take two so don't make my mistake! I first did the university of California San diago extensions course which was fine, got an A, super easy....however it was only a quarter credit. The university of Texas accepted it for their MOT pre-req but The university of st. Augustine did not which was fine until st. Augustine switched it from a "recommended" prerequisite to required. So I then took the BYU Independent study courses which is accredited and both schools accepted it and I got an A but learned a lot more! I would highly suggest BYUs but you do have to find a proctor in your city to give you the midterm and final, which may be difficult if you live in a rural area.