online or classroom prep course???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curlykid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been debating whether or not to take an online prep course or take a classroom MCAT prep course

Does anyone have any opinions on either?

Was your experience through Kaplan or PR and would you recommend it to others?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Price difference is like $200 bucks. For that you get all of the AAMC tests and optional instruction.

You could essentially use the classroom as online but you get the added options above plus 5 timed exams by a proctor. I think it would be worth it to do the classroom anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "put you on the spot" grilling (pimping?) that the MSx guys do in the classroom is well worth it - though some people find this uncomfortable/uneasy.

In grad school, 1/2 of my class grade depended on what I said in class. So, I'm used to speaking up in class and being grilled like the law school prof's do to you. Not only should you know the answer but why it's so and not anything else. These typically follow the barrage of you answering and then asked why is that until you go down several layers of abstraction in the thought process. It's a terrific way to review and make sure you know your basics. You remember stuff more with the "in your face" grilling esp your mistakes - and you remember not to do them again. Nothing like public humiliation to drive the message home :laugh: Keep in mind you need thick skin to follow this strategy. God complex and arrogance helps as well. :eek:

Another thing to consider is that not all your teachers will be so interactive. YMMV.

Taking an online or classroom course also depends on what kind of person you are. I need a structured environment to keep on going; the classroom courses provide that kind of pressure that would keep me on the path.

If you can concentrate at home and not start watching tv when you are in front of the computer, you might as well go for the online base. (I have 13 tvshows to watch!!!) Taking an online course seems more relax, too (I would drift apart with online courses :rolleyes: ).

Taking an online or classroom course also depends on what kind of person you are. I need a structured environment to keep on going; the classroom courses provide that kind of pressure that would keep me on the path.

If you can concentrate at home and not start watching tv when you are in front of the computer, you might as well go for the online base. (I have 13 tvshows to watch!!!) Taking an online course seems more relax, too (I would drift away with online courses :rolleyes: ).