Online pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AegerPrimo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a little issue with my class scheduling this fall. How frowned upon would it be if I took an online chemistry class this semester that has a lab meeting once a week? Does anyone know? Thanks, AegerPrimo

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools might care (call and find out) but I can testify many (if not most) will not.

Will the class appear as online on your transcript? most likely not

Thanks, that makes my decision much easier. Appreciate your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
If the course doesn't show up as "online course" on your transcript and has a lab credit you are good to go.

But if it does show up as such, forget it.

I am personally doubtful that you would get much out of an online chemistry class it also may not be the best to set you up for success in Orgo or for the MCAT. Also, you need to be establishing some relationships with your science profs in order to get LORs later on in the application process. Some of my schools required 3 letters from science profs!!! Not sure why they wouldn't prefer letters from people who knew me better, as if medicine is only about science tests and labs. Anyways, if you want any good ones, you need to take the prof for more than one course, and definitly in person.

Even if it appears as online on your transcript, many schools will care less. Most premeds ignore these things, always best to contact the school and get it from an admissions advisor. I can witness many would care less.

The LORs is another issue all in itself. You have a traditional lab and an online lecture, many schools will care less.

At least it does have a lab. What seems most important to me would be getting an A! Need A's!! I don't think I will get as much out of it as I would a regular university class, but I'm pretty good at teaching myself and hope I can make up the lack of a good class with diligence and extra work!