Online undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlit

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a 28 year old married non-trad with no kids and have been in my job for 9 years. I recently decided that I should pursue my electrical engineering degree. I am currently an electronics technician and am really burnt out. I am very good at my job and that has never been a problem for me but recently things have been going on to really disillusion me with my career. I am the type of person to need to be at the top of their field technically. I don't mind answering to someone else and certainly don't need to be my own boss, but I need to be someone others look to for answers. I have always been that to some degree in my current job, but I am still overlooked by engineers despite many years of experience and a lot of knowledge of the field because of my title. I am looking to improve my station and I think electrical engineering would be an okay career if medicine doesn't work out. Electrical/Electronics comes easily to me so I know I could make a good long career out of it but that's not what my heart wants.

Medicine has always been a distant idea in my head that I have wanted to pursue but never thought I could do because of finances and the time involved to succeed in school. I have had health problems in the past which are mostly resolved now, but having spent some time in the hospital and subsequent visits with my doctors I developed a fascination with what they do and how they make decisions and how they come to their conclusions. I always thought that I would like to provide that service to someone else. Well, I decided I need a change in my life, or really an overhaul, and thought why not now? I am financially stable and stable in my job. The only thing that might be difficult in pursuing this is getting time off to go to class. However, I can always take leave without pay.

My current GPA is a 3.12 with 129 credit hours. I added up the rest of the hours I have for my EE degree and all the premed classes and came to 72 hours left. If I can maintain a 3.8-4.0 for my classes remaining then I can raise my GPA to between a 3.37 and a 3.44 cumulative. I don't know whether the engineering classes I have taken count towards a science GPA or not but I have only taken 2 physics classes and got an A and a B. Those are the only science classes I believe I have taken. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. So I hope on this front that means I will have the chance to get a high science GPA.

The EE program I am in is all online and I was under the impression that medical schools will not count any prerequisites taken online. I have a 4 year university nearby that offers the prerequisites I need in person so that will work I think. The only problem is that I will need to rearrange my schedule at work to accommodate it.

I will be volunteering at a local hospital for a few hours every weekend to see how I like the environment and plan on taking a phlebotomy course this fall so that I can get some real clinical exposure and it wont hurt to work a little on the weekends as well.

So in all, I will be working full time 4 days a week, attending a phlebotomy class after work on one of those days, taking 6 hours of online course work, volunteering for about 4 hours on the weekend and working about 8 hours as a phlebotomy tech on the weekend starting in the spring.

TL/DR; Will my online undergraduate work count for medical school as long as I take the prereqs in person? Do engineering classes count towards the science GPA? Does my plan sound complete? Is there anything I am missing? I thought I might see about shadowing my PCP that I am on good terms with after this first semester to see what it is like. Is that a good idea?

Thank you everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a 28 year old married non-trad with no kids and have been in my job for 9 years. I recently decided that I should pursue my electrical engineering degree. I am currently an electronics technician and am really burnt out. I am very good at my job and that has never been a problem for me but recently things have been going on to really disillusion me with my career. I am the type of person to need to be at the top of their field technically. I don't mind answering to someone else and certainly don't need to be my own boss, but I need to be someone others look to for answers. I have always been that to some degree in my current job, but I am still overlooked by engineers despite many years of experience and a lot of knowledge of the field because of my title. I am looking to improve my station and I think electrical engineering would be an okay career if medicine doesn't work out. Electrical/Electronics comes easily to me so I know I could make a good long career out of it but that's not what my heart wants.

Medicine has always been a distant idea in my head that I have wanted to pursue but never thought I could do because of finances and the time involved to succeed in school. I have had health problems in the past which are mostly resolved now, but having spent some time in the hospital and subsequent visits with my doctors I developed a fascination with what they do and how they make decisions and how they come to their conclusions. I always thought that I would like to provide that service to someone else. Well, I decided I need a change in my life, or really an overhaul, and thought why not now? I am financially stable and stable in my job. The only thing that might be difficult in pursuing this is getting time off to go to class. However, I can always take leave without pay.

My current GPA is a 3.12 with 129 credit hours. I added up the rest of the hours I have for my EE degree and all the premed classes and came to 72 hours left. If I can maintain a 3.8-4.0 for my classes remaining then I can raise my GPA to between a 3.37 and a 3.44 cumulative. I don't know whether the engineering classes I have taken count towards a science GPA or not but I have only taken 2 physics classes and got an A and a B. Those are the only science classes I believe I have taken. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. So I hope on this front that means I will have the chance to get a high science GPA.

The EE program I am in is all online and I was under the impression that medical schools will not count any prerequisites taken online. I have a 4 year university nearby that offers the prerequisites I need in person so that will work I think. The only problem is that I will need to rearrange my schedule at work to accommodate it.

I will be volunteering at a local hospital for a few hours every weekend to see how I like the environment and plan on taking a phlebotomy course this fall so that I can get some real clinical exposure and it wont hurt to work a little on the weekends as well.

So in all, I will be working full time 4 days a week, attending a phlebotomy class after work on one of those days, taking 6 hours of online course work, volunteering for about 4 hours on the weekend and working about 8 hours as a phlebotomy tech on the weekend starting in the spring.

TL/DR; Will my online undergraduate work count for medical school as long as I take the prereqs in person? Do engineering classes count towards the science GPA? Does my plan sound complete? Is there anything I am missing? I thought I might see about shadowing my PCP that I am on good terms with after this first semester to see what it is like. Is that a good idea?

Thank you everyone
First off, best of luck to you! As for your questions:

1. Engineering classes do not count towards sGPA for MD (https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/course-classification-guide/) but do for DO (AACOMAS Course Subjects).

2. You can take your prereqs online or in person and generally, they do count. If you are unsure, check with the specific MD or DO school. I'd recommend labs in person though.

3. When you have time, you need to fit in shadowing in. Definitely do primary care and sprinkle in other specialties if possible. Also, you will need some form of non-clinical volunteering like Habitat for Humanity, soup kitchen etc. Also, you'll need dedicated studying time for the MCAT!

4. Your plan is reasonable and you will be tired all the time, but in the end, if this road is for you, it is worth it. As many SDN posters have stated in the past: this is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll get there eventually!

Reactions: 1 user
Most MD schools won't allow online courses, although there is a trend towards more schools accepting them. It is school-specific, so you have to check with each one. There are some that allow online classes, but limit the number of hours that can be used. I am unsure whether a full-online degree is acceptable or not. Since you mentioned you are already burned out, be sure to schedule some relaxation time.

Members don't see this ad :)
As @Nugester said Engineering classes do not count towards sGPA for MD, but do for DO. Math classes count towards sGPA for both (which I am sure you have taken). One caveat is that you can take advantage of overlap. For example: One of the few A's I got in an engineering class was Thermodynamics and I listed that as BCPM and it was accepted by AMCAS because that is listed as a possible physics course (even though it was an engineering course at my university).

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I started looking into school requirements and the few I've looked at allow online pre-reqs which I probably wont have to worry about needing to take. Hopefully I will have them all in person. I did have a few classes like liquid and gas flow and heat transfer which I am sure would count as physics classes. I have a few math classes under my belt. The only one I did poorly in was Trig and I made a C. The instructor was impossible to understand. It was the only class I remember having real problems with.

Yes, I am burnt out and frustrated right now with work. The thought of pursuing my dream however is giving me a lot of motivation to stick it out and I am really excited about this coming semester.

Also I was thinking of volunteering with the SPCA. Is that looked on negatively or is it as long as there is a commitment to service then that's what counts?

Also I was thinking of volunteering with the SPCA. Is that looked on negatively or is it as long as there is a commitment to service then that's what counts?
I believe volunteering for those that are less fortunate (homeless shelter, soup kitchen etc.) would be better for your application than the SPCA. Not saying you can't do it too, but it shouldn't be your main non-clinical experience.

Not sure but it seems like SPCA is very good for vet school apps. For med school apps it just doesn’t feel right... Just think about it. How would you respond to a potential interview question: “So you had a few hours a week to devote to volunteer help. Why did you choose to help animals and not people?”

Thank you everyone

Yes some schools accept UG coursework. For prerequisite courses, from what I've observed its okay to take English, math, and humanities online, but make sure your sciences with accompanying labs are in-seat. Whenever you finish your EE degree I would suggest buying MSAR, its really useful to see what schools accept your prerequisites or not and from there you can create a good school list. I have a online UG degree, I did an online accelerated RNtoBSN program, and I was told that with a proper targeted school list, I should be fine. I'm sure the same would apply to you, just don't expect to get into Harvard, Hopkins, or Stanford.

Yes, I am burnt out and frustrated right now with work. The thought of pursuing my dream however is giving me a lot of motivation to stick it out and I am really excited about this coming semester.

I would consider taking a break between your UG degree and starting the prerequisites for med school or at least pacing yourself. You said you feelings kind of burnt out, and its not going to be any easier especially with your plan of working, doing phlebotomy, taking classes, and volunteering.

Thanks for the comments. I will see about getting in with a food pantry or something. Ideally I woukd like to get into an MD school but if that doesnt work out there is a very good DO school 15 minutes from my house that would be awfully convenient.

Reactions: 1 user