Online undergraduate, in-person prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momo_n_co

Reaction score
I have a BS in Liberal Arts from Excelsior College (online school) that I earned while on active duty. Nowadays I'm a federal employee (not healthcare) looking to change careers in the next few years. I was hoping to go to a local community college to complete my prerequisites over the next few years and apply to school when I'm around 34/35. I'm early 30s now. I don't plan on leaving the government to pursue a second undergraduate degree at this time.

How much will my online degree kill my chances? I don't have a real science background, so my science GPA would be however I did in the CC classes. My non-science GPA is 3.3. I also volunteer as an EMT/Firefighter.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That’s gonna be on a school to school basis. Some, like Stanford, say no online degrees. Others, like Pitt, say an online degree with a year of in person class work is fine. What might hurt the most is that it is from a school that is mainly online only. Ok the other hand, schools may be more forgiving that you got your degree on active duty.
FWIW, I have an online degree but from a brick and mortar state school and I did very well in this application cycle.

Appreciate the input.

I imagine things will become more “accepting” post-COVID world. But I’m not going to base a life decision off of hopes.