Only 1 interview invite so far.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nahom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it time for me to freakout? I have been told i am an above average psych applicant. Anyone in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive read the whole thread already. I feel this is a different situation as it is now weeks lter and after the mspe is out.
I would pose these questions in that thread.

What will panicking do for you?
If it helps, in 2009 I was a U.S. IMG that got my first interview invite from a subpar community program on October 30th. At that time , I had begun to prepare to scramble. Other than being an IMG I was a superior applicant with high scores. In November and December I then received a couple of dozen invitations from a variety of programs and had to turn down several invitations through January. I eventually matched at my first choice. I know things are more competitive now, but it's too early to get upset, which won't help you anyway. Hope for the best, and plan for the worst is my advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Looking at some of the ADCOMS on here they've only started reading MPSEs like yesterday. But I agree, compared to some of my friends who have >10 interview invites for psych or >20 invites for IM, having single digit invites right now is by comparison making me scratch my head.

I agree, it is very very hard to wait. Also, refreshing email 60 times a minute does not make the emails come faster, i tried.

Reactions: 7 users
I did the rigamarole a couple matches ago. Applied to 30 places, 90% of interviews came mid October to mid December, my two home (sub I and initial clerkship) programs reached out to me earlier and there were a couple stragglers in January. Ended up canceling lots of interviews (21 to be exact), becoming tired of the process by early January and realizing that in my heart it was only between where I had spent my med school training and the possibility of one or two outliers. If you applied with an accurate view of your level of competition with a mix of reaches and safeties you are still absolutely fine for another 2 weeks.

Reactions: 5 users
Consider sending truly focused LOI's no earlier than Oct 15. Consider alternative options (discuss with med school advisers) if November rolls around and you still have fewer than 3 invites.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree, it is very very hard to wait. Also, refreshing email 60 times a minute does not make the emails come faster, i tried.

Apparently it's necessary though since I got an ii today, but didnt notice until 13 minutes later. By that point the only options for the two days they offered me was to waitlist... annoying. Luckily this is the only program I've had that happen for.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently it's necessary though since I got an ii today, but didnt notice until 13 minutes later. By that point the only options for the two days they offered me was to waitlist... annoying. Luckily this is the only program I've had that happen for.
Interview dates disappearing is definitely a thing. I feel terrible for people at med schools that make them do intense rotations during ERAS/interview season. I didn't know residencies offered more invites than interview slots tho... that's shady.

Reactions: 1 user
Sort of in the same boat... I had 3 in the first week after our ERAS apps were sent, but none since the MSPE came out. How worried should I be? I applied to 65 programs but worry about not getting my goal of 10+ interviews...

I did the rigamarole a couple matches ago. Applied to 30 places, 90% of interviews came mid October to mid December, my two home (sub I and initial clerkship) programs reached out to me earlier and there were a couple stragglers in January. Ended up canceling lots of interviews (21 to be exact), becoming tired of the process by early January and realizing that in my heart it was only between where I had spent my med school training and the possibility of one or two outliers. If you applied with an accurate view of your level of competition with a mix of reaches and safeties you are still absolutely fine for another 2 weeks.

Are you saying you applied to 30 places and got over 21 interviews?