Only 3 interview invites so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: US Senior allopathic med school, 218 step 1, passed step 2 cs, haven't taken ck yet. Had to take 1 year off due to non academic reasons. Applied to 38 programs day before programs could view apps. Applied to an additional 3 a couple weeks ago. So far, 3 invites and 1 rejection.

How worried should I be? And do programs send out invites into November?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been chatting with a couple applicants about this. From what I heard, historically speaking, invites tend to dry out by the beginning of November. Therefore, if you don't get more invites in the next two weeks, then getting worried is warrented imo.

I think I commented on another of your threads. From what you're telling me, you're in a *lot* of trouble.

I am a current PGY-2. AMG, Step 1 only about 10 points higher than you, grades similar, but I had step 2 ck done by the time I applied and I didn't have the MD/PhD thing you did.

I applied in 2015. 40 in total. I got 23 interviews, went to 16. Looking at my schedule, I only got 3 of my invites after October 12th, two later that month and one late-breaker in January. If you only have 3 interview this late in the game, you're in big, big trouble, especially considering you're an American medical grad.

I don't know what all places you applied to, but you need to pick some safeties. If you already did that it may be time to suck up your pride and try applying to IM, FM, or psych programs at places where you didn't apply for neuro so you can graduate with a job. Also talk to your dean of students and see if he/she can help.

I sympathize with your situation; please feel free to private message me if you have questions or want advice.

Background: US Senior allopathic med school, 218 step 1, passed step 2 cs, haven't taken ck yet. Had to take 1 year off due to non academic reasons. Applied to 38 programs day before programs could view apps. Applied to an additional 3 a couple weeks ago. So far, 3 invites and 1 rejection.

How worried should I be? And do programs send out invites into November?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I commented on another of your threads. From what you're telling me, you're in a *lot* of trouble.

I am a current PGY-2. AMG, Step 1 only about 10 points higher than you, grades similar, but I had step 2 ck done by the time I applied and I didn't have the MD/PhD thing you did.

I applied in 2015. 40 in total. I got 23 interviews, went to 16. Looking at my schedule, I only got 3 of my invites after October 12th, two later that month and one late-breaker in January. If you only have 3 interview this late in the game, you're in big, big trouble, especially considering you're an American medical grad.

I don't know what all places you applied to, but you need to pick some safeties. If you already did that it may be time to suck up your pride and try applying to IM, FM, or psych programs at places where you didn't apply for neuro so you can graduate with a job. Also talk to your dean of students and see if he/she can help.

I sympathize with your situation; please feel free to private message me if you have questions or want advice.

Thanks, however I do not see a way to PM you as you have limited who can see your profile.

Horrible advice.

This late in the game - how is he going to tailor an application to IM/FM/Psych - specialties arguably more competitive than neurology? Neurology is THE least competitive specialty for candidates who are genuinely interested in it and applying with a specific application. He might as well just wait for SOAP and pick up a spot there.

Reactions: 1 user
On the whole IM/FM/psych are equally competitive, but since they have more programs, there's a bigger range. There are a boatload of ****ty community programs in those fields.

I'm not pretending that's a good option but it may be all there is. And the chances of that succeeding are much better than in SOAP, where the pickings get slimmer every year.

I'm inclined to agree with @NeurologyHopeful2018 . At this late point in the process, it will be nearly impossible to change direction and tailor your application towards another field, even if it's a noncompetitive one. Even if the OP is welling to go into FM, he/she would have to get new letters, write another PS and figure out what programs to apply to. All this takes time and it's already too late.

Even with only 3 invites, the OP's odd at matching neurology are higher than matching another field. Looking at the graph on page 111 of this report http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf we can see that the OP's odds of matching with his/her 3 invites are 85%. With two more invites (which I believe is a safe bet to make), his/her odds will be over 90%.

Furthermore, IM/FM/Psych are fundamentally different specialties than Neurology.

IM and FM are primary care/primary management focused. Whereas Neurology is specialized on an organ system - more of a consultant role. Some of the greatest neurologist I know are horrible at IM for this reason - they have difficulty balancing the entire patient.

The closest specialty to Neurology is actually Emergency Medicine - both are diagnostic based clinical specialties focused on one aspect of medicine.

I recommend writing letters of interest to a FEW programs you are genuinely interested in, specifically to get those invites. As mentioned above, it will also help your changes statistically of matching.

Furthermore, IM/FM/Psych are fundamentally different specialties than Neurology.

IM and FM are primary care/primary management focused. Whereas Neurology is specialized on an organ system - more of a consultant role. Some of the greatest neurologist I know are horrible at IM for this reason - they have difficulty balancing the entire patient.

The closest specialty to Neurology is actually Emergency Medicine - both are diagnostic based clinical specialties focused on one aspect of medicine.

Umm...what? EM is absolutely NOTHING like neurology. I can't think of a worse comparison here.

In terms of the OP - 3 invites at this point is worrisome. I would chat with your advisor ASAP about options at this point. I do agree with other posters above though; it would be hard to submit an entirely new application for IM/FM/Psych, but if needed it's doable. Waiting for the SOAP is NOT a good option, if you want to match in neuro. There are way, way, way more spots in IM/FM.

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend writing letters of interest to a FEW programs you are genuinely interested in, specifically to get those invites. As mentioned above, it will also help your changes statistically of matching.

I would expand this to writing letters of interest to more than a few programs - just to increase the chance of getting more interviews. Although arguably, it won't net you an interview if they don't like your app, but it may help with programs who are on the fence.