Only got waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dantheman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious about how many other SDNers are only on the waitlists with no acceptances. I just thought it would be nice to share the agony with each other as we all wait until May 15th. I have been mentally preparing myself for the reapplication process (as if AMCAS did not suck bad enough the first time).

How is everyone else dealing with all this. Do we have any newly forming alcoholics in our midst? :laugh:

I just thought I would send out this thread to rid myself of some current frustration. thanks for listening.

DTM :D

Members don't see this ad.

yo - i'm one of those.

i'm hoping to get in off of one of my two remaining (yeah, i got dumped off of one the other day) waitlists. i've been accepted to the georgetown smp, so i'll certainly be doing that if i don't get in this year. i've also been thinking about reapplying and to where and when i might do that. also, i've been drinking often. well, i guess i did beforehand anyway. :D good luck.

i'm with you. still cautiously optimistic, but starting to think about what plan b might be. i'll definitely reapply, but we all know how fun that sounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
dantheman said:
I was just curious about how many other SDNers are only on the waitlists with no acceptances. I just thought it would be nice to share the agony with each other as we all wait until May 15th. I have been mentally preparing myself for the reapplication process (as if AMCAS did not suck bad enough the first time).

How is everyone else dealing with all this. Do we have any newly forming alcoholics in our midst? :laugh:

I just thought I would send out this thread to rid myself of some current frustration. thanks for listening.

I was in both of your places just a day ago. I just got accepted to Pitt today and it was the best feeling in the world. It took this long and it was sweeter than could be. I wish you both the best of luck. You may have to wait a little longer, but do not lose hope. Please keep your applications updates, writer a letter of intent to your top choice, contact the dean of admissions directly and ask to meet with him or her or speak to him or her on the phone, contact your interviewers and tell them you are really interested in the school, send new letters of recommendation, and call to make sure everything is in order. I am still pursuing 2 waitlists and I am going to be on top of them. Never let your guard down. I know it is grueling but keep up the hard work and the reward will be so much greater when you get that call or letter of acceptance. :luck: Good luck! :luck: Please PM me if you need any advice or wanna chat!

dantheman said:

I started becoming an alcoholic when I began this whole application process almost a year ago. :thumbup:

Count me in to this club, I've got 2 waitlists. Thanks for the advice DrJ2B. I am just trying to stay on top of these schools and remain optimistic. Good luck everyone.

When do you think the most waitlist movement will be? Around May 15th? Or June/July?

Add me to the list....three waitlists....but I am confident! (or trying to be)
I am just trying to stay in touch with the schools and send letters and stuff...but it is getting increasingly difficult to come up with new things to say...so I repeat myself a lot
I tell my friends and family...."late May....I think I will hear something late May"

I just wanted to let you all know we are thinking about you on these waitlists. I hope each and everyone of you are able to get in this year. DON"T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

You need to keep the faith because you will get where you want to go.

Hang in there.... you can get in up until the first day of classes. Just keep sending them letters of interest and updating them on anything you've added to your CV.

I got in off the waitlist the first week in June.... just as I had resubmitted my AMCAS application.

Alexander99 said:
I started becoming an alcoholic when I began this whole application process almost a year ago. :thumbup:

YES! Now that's the spirit of success that I'm talking about! :laugh:

Something that worked for me:

You need to almost become borderline annoying with letting them know how interested/intent you are in going to their School. Seriously I was shooting emails back and forth with faculty and staff almost every day. :idea:

Keep up the hope. Think about picking one school to barrage with your attention (one that you have a descent chance at, and wouldn't mind going to if they accepted you). :thumbup: :luck: :luck: :luck:

MDPhDTom said:
You need to almost become borderline annoying with letting them know how interested/intent you are in going to their School. Seriously I was shooting emails back and forth with faculty and staff almost every day.

If the school that you're waitlisted at has a fixed, ranked waitlist, is it really worth being potentially annoying? I keep wanting to call/email/write a letter so they won't forget about me, but I feel like it's not really going to help anything. Any thoughts?

I too am sitting on waitlists only. such a great feeling, prolonging this uncertainty. I wish I could make a career out of it.

I spoke to one of my interviewers who cautioned against pushing too hard from waitlists, and mentioned some especially obnoxious people getting bumped down the list for their behavior. so yes they do want to see some interest from you, but I wouldn't go bonkers. from what I've been told by people involved in the process, a genuinely written letter to the head admissions honcho is really the only significant thing you can do. my impression is that there is generally just one or two people who maintain the waitlist, so try to find out who that is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in too... I'm sitting on three waitlists, but they're all schools with a history of large movement, so I'm fairly optimistic I'll get into at least one of them... Well, at least, currently I'm optimistic. Come late June/July, I could be in quite a different mood. =P

I am currently on six or seven wait lists, I cant remember them all of the top of my list. Can you believe that I got eight interviews, seven wait lists, and no acceptances? I really hope these things start to move soon. I am turning into a complete mental case and I officially hate my job as of this morning.

Similar situation here. I've got at least two wailtists, and five other schools have me in either a hold or a waitlist category.

Nine interviews, no acceptances, 12 rejections.

Longest year of my life... :D

Yes, I'd like to trade in my 3 waitlists for 1 acceptance please. ;)

Good Luck Everybody!

kristabel said:
If the school that you're waitlisted at has a fixed, ranked waitlist, is it really worth being potentially annoying? I keep wanting to call/email/write a letter so they won't forget about me, but I feel like it's not really going to help anything. Any thoughts?

It can help to remind the school you are still very interested in their school. They will add the letter to your file. When they start pulling people off the waitlist, the letter will show them interest, so if there is a tie between you and another ranked the same your letter can act as a tie breaker and help sway them towards you.

I'm on 5 waitlists. It's fun.

I guess I'm not as anxious about the whole situation as most of you, but I can completely understand how you feel. No way in hell I'm reapplying this application cycle, though; definitely the next year's if I don't get in.

i'm on three waitlists too... with no acceptances. it really sucks! reapplying would mean submitting amcas again before i'd know for sure whether or not i would be accepted from one of the waitlists. i think i remember reading something last year where someone got in from a waitlist after resubmitting amcas, and amcas was nice enough (shocking, no?) to refund their primary application fee. anyone know anything about that possibility? good luck guys!

I know it sounds bad, but its kinda nice to know that I do not suffer alone in this process. I will definitely be sending update letters and contacting schools.

I think the extra praying I've been doing lately has been cancelled out by the extra drinking from this whole process.

:laugh:
lots of luck to all of us who need it

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I didn't send in any LOI, but I did call to make sure that the schools received my waitlist acceptance.

Hey guys,

I'm on one waitlist and have been rejected to over twenty schools. Don't ask me how it happened, I'm surprised I was waitlisted. Just know I would never want to repeat this experience for the world. However, I expected this to happen, since I like to live on the edge a little; unknowns x, y, and z in my life are the best!

Ginkoba4 said:
Hey guys,

I'm on one waitlist and have been rejected to over twenty schools. Don't ask me how it happened, I'm surprised I was waitlisted. Just know I would never want to repeat this experience for the world. However, I expected this to happen, since I like to live on the edge a little; unknowns x, y, and z in my life are the best!

ME TOO!!!!!!!! and the waitlist that i'm on is ranked. so to anyone who's had experience, is there nothing that i can do to help my position? am i just stuck there?!?!?! ahhhh, i want to get in!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on 2 waitlists, and I think I'm about to be placed on 2 more. That coupled with 16 rejections have really made my month. :rolleyes: [/End Sarcasm]

And April wasbturning out to be such a nice month, weather-wise... ;)

Is anyone taken off waitlists before May 15th? I'm sure every school is different, but in general...anyone?

Hey guys,

I wonder if anyone has an opinion about letter of intention? Some say must, some say don't bother, and I am torn what to do - aside from dignity issue, does the school actually care whether or not you send in a letter of intention? Please let me know if anyone has an opinion/experience in this -

Thanks a lot!

metabolite said:
Hey guys,

I wonder if anyone has an opinion about letter of intention? Some say must, some say don't bother, and I am torn what to do - aside from dignity issue, does the school actually care whether or not you send in a letter of intention? Please let me know if anyone has an opinion/experience in this -

Thanks a lot!

I think letters of intent are important. They show a school that if you are pulled off the waitlist, you will definitely go. The whole reason for a waitlist is to fill vacant positions in a class. If the waitlist is unranked (it may also make a difference if it is ranked), it would be to your advantage to write a letter of intent if you really want to go to that school. Some people say it is a bare minimum at top schools. I am not sure if that is indeed true but it would make sense. If you have no preference of one school over another, then you can just write letters of interest, but from what I have gathered, a letter of intent goes one bit further and that one bit can make a big difference. In general, schools want to take the people who really want to go there and this is especially true for the waitilist. I have written a letter of intent and if anyone has questions about how to do one, you can PM me or do a search on the forum. Good luck everyone and never lose hope! Make sure you keep up with those waitlists, sending updates and calling (not so often as to be annoying)! :luck: :) :luck:

kristabel said:

I only did what I did with the school that I did it to, because I had a really strong feeling about my chances, and fit at the particular program that I was applying to [ambiguous I know].

The point is, I would have probably not been all that pushy unless I had a strong feeling. And when I mean pushy, I mean polite type of pushy.

dantheman said:
I know it sounds bad, but its kinda nice to know that I do not suffer alone in this process. I will definitely be sending update letters and contacting schools.

I think the extra praying I've been doing lately has been cancelled out by the extra drinking from this whole process.

lots of luck to all of us who need it

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

That doesn't sound bad. I think 1/2 of SDN is being able to share in the pain of the application process (studying for the MCAT, waiting for decisions, etc) while the other 1/2 is information about the process. It seems like quite a few people get into med school while only holding waitlists for a while so don't give up hope.

j121212 said:
Is anyone taken off waitlists before May 15th? I'm sure every school is different, but in general...anyone?

Yes people are taken off the lists before May15th. Schools fill up their class. Then if that number goes below the class max number, they start pulling people of the waitlists. They keep it at the maximum number.

The May 15th date is just the date that you can only have 1 acceptance, so if you have been holding 10, you have to give up 9. That is why there can be a huge movement on waitlists on May 16th.

i'll join this club. 2 waitlists, no acceptances. dreading the re-application process, but gearing up to do it again anyway.

gotta go get that drink now.....

4 waitlists, and one more coming probably...I'll be sending in a letter of intent to my top (remaining) choice early May hoping it'll bump up my chances.

here's a question for you math, statistics, fortune teller majors: if you are on x (for me 4) waitlists, with no acceptances, what are the chances that you will get off of at least one waitlist?

-to you perfectionist people (read: people who see this and think that there is no possible way to tell) I KNOW.

hope280 said:
here's a question for you math, statistics, fortune teller majors: if you are on x (for me 4) waitlists, with no acceptances, what are the chances that you will get off of at least one waitlist?

-to you perfectionist people (read: people who see this and think that there is no possible way to tell) I KNOW.

= 1- p| all rejections |
= 1 - [ p|r1| * p|r2| * p|r3| * p|r4| ]

where p|r#| = probability of being rejected by that school
for me, that number is ~0.75 (I think) for the schools I'm waiting on (based on guestimates from previous years' data)

Assuming p|r1| = p|r2| = p|r3| = p|r4| = 0.75

= 1 - ( 0.75 * 0.75 * 0.75 * 0.75)
=68.3594%

Thus, your chances of being accepted (assuming a 1 in 4 shot at each school AND RANDOM SELECTION) is 68%

:p

Now for waitlist 'x', it would be
1- ( p|reject at x| ^ x ) ... assuming an average rejection probability and random selection again.

:p :p

Can you tell I just tried to help out a dental school guy with a statistics problem?

Thanks everybody for the helpful responses and words of encouragement.

So, how often should we call the admissions offices? Every two weeks? Three?

It seems like such a delicate balance between being assertive and being a pain.

Thanks for your help.

Things that I don't think will help: Calling every week and asking

"Am I in yet ?" , " Am I in yet ?"
NO

Next week
"How Bout now? Am I in yet?"

Week three

" just calling to see if I'm in yet"

Week four and beyond

" God #@$^it why don't you Moth@$ ^%$#ers just let me in you school!!

:mad:

Just a hunch but I dont think wthat would help, you know just in case someone was thinking about doin that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

errr well i am waiting on one and wait listed at another.. so i will join the boat... I don' tknwo what to write in my letter of intent :(

hey everyone!

i can totally relate and feel your pain, I am on 3 waitlists and no acceptances....

I was curious though, i hear people saying call the admissions office and so forth, but honestly, what do you say when the admissions lady is on the phone? like specifically what do ask or say so that you show interest?

I have written a letter to my schools, about 3 to each one....i wonder if there's any more to do .....i even sent an update letter, and i got my supervisor at my clinic to write me a letter and he sent it.....shoudl i get another letter of rec sent out?

thanks everyone, and this process will soon be over! im crossing my fingers for everyone!!

canada said:
ME TOO!!!!!!!! and the waitlist that i'm on is ranked. so to anyone who's had experience, is there nothing that i can do to help my position? am i just stuck there?!?!?! ahhhh, i want to get in!!!!!!!!!!
once you are on a ranked waitlist...you are basically at the mercy of the school...theres not much you can do to make a significant jump. so you just gotta call every week to see how much the list has moved and see if you can estimate how many per month will move and calculate how much time you have left till orientation and figure out your chances from there.

you can ask the school how the list moves historically but they will be hesistant to tell so as not to give you any false hope...

i hear ya. two waitlists so far...probably a third one coming...stinks=(

BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD said:
hey everyone!
i can totally relate and feel your pain, I am on 3 waitlists and no acceptances....
Only 3? Did you end up skiping your Davis inteview or something? I thought you interviewed at la,sd, pitt, and davis?

I'll join the club, 6 interviews, 5 waitlists, waiting for #6 :mad:

I wanna play....3 waitlists (ECU, UNC, EVMS)-- (really 4 considering how Finch/Rosalind Franklin works)

hey mr reddly

ya i had a major family emergency with my father being in the hospital, and Davis didnt have any other dates, they couldnt move me down a week sadly......oh well!

but ya im awaiting the waitlists.....gosh i hope i get in!

good luck everyone!!

so when do people give up hope and what plans are being made for next year?

well, it's time. anyone else unbearabley anxious now that it's the first week post-may 15? good luck.

BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD said:
hey mr reddly

ya i had a major family emergency with my father being in the hospital, and Davis didnt have any other dates, they couldnt move me down a week sadly......oh well!

but ya im awaiting the waitlists.....gosh i hope i get in!

good luck everyone!!

man that sucks. nice avatar, i used to be obsessed with bjork. she's cool!

goodluck, hope all the waitlist stuff works out for ya.

I've already been unbearably anxious! Every day that passes by I get a little more worried...hopefully a lot of stuff will happen in the next week or two!

mikeyboy said:
I've already been unbearably anxious! Every day that passes by I get a little more worried...hopefully a lot of stuff will happen in the next week or two!
I took a peek at your stats and was quite impressed. But I have one question, when did you submit your amcas?

Not to be rude, but since you're so young, you may want to just take a year off. Have a little fun and reapply. I think you'll have a great shot of getting into a top school.