Only One PI Rec Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugh12345

Reaction score
I noticed that a some of MSTPs (Wash U, Hopkins etc.) require a minimum of 2 recommendation letters from faculty you have done research with. My problem is that I have worked in the same lab for all of undergrad including all of my summers. This leaves me with the potential for only 1 PI recommendation letter. Is there anything I can do to still be considered at these schools? I feel like this would be a pretty common problem, but I can't seem to find any other threads about it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be honest I don't think it's quite as common as you think. Most applicants I know have worked in a minimum of 2 labs during undergrad, this usually ensures they experience different research and locks in their desire to do the MD/PhD. Besides taking a gap year to work in a different lab the only thing I can possibly think of is maybe trying to get one of your professors to talk about your potential for research? Maybe offer to assist one of your professors on something in their lab?

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am a current applicant and have only worked in 1 lab. To complement my PI’s letter, I had two letters from people in my lab at the lecturer/assistant professor level. I was invited to interview at Hopkins and WashU.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had one PI and thus only one PI rec. My other rec was from a professor who taught me, read my honors thesis, and his lab is adjacent to ours. I got 13 IIs and I got into two programs. If you can’t work in another lab, make sure whoever writes your other rec is very familiar with your research. But if working in another lab makes you feel better and more secure, then I recommend doing that because you don’t want to apply thinking “I wish I did XYZ instead”

I noticed that a some of MSTPs (Wash U, Hopkins etc.) require a minimum of 2 recommendation letters from faculty you have done research with. My problem is that I have worked in the same lab for all of undergrad including all of my summers. This leaves me with the potential for only 1 PI recommendation letter. Is there anything I can do to still be considered at these schools? I feel like this would be a pretty common problem, but I can't seem to find any other threads about it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I had worked in the same lab for 3.5 years by the time I applied and only had one PI letter. Other research letters were from close collaborators and professors who knew me both as a student and as an aspiring research scientist. So, I think you're good as long as you have collaborators and/or other professors like that. But I also applied like 9 years ago so maybe some things have changed? (I don't think so, but just a potential caveat)