Jun 19, 2020
Hello SDN,

My community college offers only one semester of Intro BIO w/lab. The course covers all topics found in the two-semester sequence offered at other colleges. Should I take the second semester of general BIO (e.g. BIO 2) at another community college or an upper division BIO class like Cell and Molecular Biology to satisfy the premed requirement of two BIOs w/lab?

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello SDN,

My community college offers only one semester of Intro BIO w/lab. The course covers all topics found in the two-semester sequence offered at other colleges. Should I take the second semester of general BIO (e.g. BIO 2) at another community college or an upper division BIO class like Cell and Molecular Biology to satisfy the premed requirement of two BIOs w/lab?
I don't know how to break this to you, but unless it's an 8 credit course, a one semester 4 credit course plus lab at a CC will not come close to covering what will be covered in two 4 credit courses plus lab at a 4 year university. I wouldn't bother taking it at all, because it will not adequately prepare you for upper level classes nor will it cover what a med school expects to be covered in a one year intro to bio course.

Bio 2 at another CC will go more in depth on some of the topics covered in the first class, but you will have gaps left from whatever the first class didn't cover. In any event, med schools do not like prereqs taken at CCs. This is one of the reasons why. You will not be doing yourself any favors going this route when it's time to apply.

Reactions: 1 user

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
Don't take prereqs at CCs if you can avoid it.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hello SDN,

yes,

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.