ONLY USMLEWORLD enough??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

So as of today I'm starting Step2 CK prep, and have actually 30 days 'til the big day (I'm also taking a radiology elective). I'd like to know if it's realistic to study ONLY USMLEWORLD, meaning getting through all MCQs, answers, and explanations as my only means of studying. Do I really need another book like Crush or FA? I'd much rather do and learn from as many MCQ's as possible in this time. I will also do the 3 NBME's and free practice CD.

(For Step 1, I had 3 MONTHS to study, so I did all of Qbank and many subject and mcq books to score 251/99--granted that was over 5 years ago! I'm not retransmitting Step2 scores 'til I see them!!!) Also during MS3, I used Kaplan's Qbank and Qbook to study for shelves, ended third year w/ IM then Surgery.

Just wondering if doing only MCQ is more realistic at this stage in the game? Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

NO!
but truly, i hate to admit it but i got a whopping 160 when i used world alone.
now, 9 months later, i am doing secrets with world, and i am 13% higher in world scores..from 51% cum to 64%.
so, thats my $.02 on it.

NO!
but truly, i hate to admit it but i got a whopping 160 when i used world alone.
now, 9 months later, i am doing secrets with world, and i am 13% higher in world scores..from 51% cum to 64%.
so, thats my $.02 on it.

Thanks for your input. I hope you do better this time. It sounds like you have a better handle on studying. :luck:

I only have a month, and my "Radi-Holiday" rotation also has an exam and powerpoint case, so at most, I would do only 1 book (unfortunately my enthusiasm for book-learning has dwindled since third year!). I was thinking of FA for Step 2 CK (I don't like "recall"-type formats). I do have the PDA version of Secrets though, which I can in theory use anywhere. I'm just wondering if a book really adds much more to the total preparation...

Probably depends on how solid your foundation is.

If you're averaging over 60% or so, you probably could do without a review book. I'd still consider getting something relatively short like Boards&Wards, or using First Aid in areas of weakness.

Finishing UW in 30 days shouldn't be difficult, so you could also consider adding a second source of questions like QBook.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably depends on how solid your foundation is.

If you're averaging over 60% or so, you probably could do without a review book. I'd still consider getting something relatively short like Boards&Wards, or using First Aid in areas of weakness.

Finishing UW in 30 days shouldn't be difficult, so you could also consider adding a second source of questions like QBook.

add first aid, or the kaplan course. Kaplan Qbook is good too..... UW alone is not even close to enough to pass the test.

add first aid, or the kaplan course. Kaplan Qbook is good too..... UW alone is not even close to enough to pass the test.

So like I said, I did all of Qbook and half of Kaplan's Qbank during third year for shelves. I can go back and finish the rest of unused Kaplan Qbank. Not sure I would repeat the Qbook questions. I guess I'll settle for a short book like Secrets or B&W with UW. My first two random UW tests averaged 57%, so I know there's work to be done, but I doubt I could get thru BOTH FA AND UW this month! (FA is wicked long)

Just wanna comfortably pass Step2...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I highly recommend reading Step Up Medicine to beef up your general knowledge in additional to UW. This book was my bible for the wards, and served me really well during Step 2 study.

If you're looking for an additional question source, I'd probably skip Kaplan and head for a real question book. I skimmed Secrets and thought it was okay, but a little long to read the answers sometimes. Some of the classmates relaly like the Recall format.

Hi there,

So as of today I'm starting Step2 CK prep, and have actually 30 days 'til the big day (I'm also taking a radiology elective). I'd like to know if it's realistic to study ONLY USMLEWORLD, meaning getting through all MCQs, answers, and explanations as my only means of studying. Do I really need another book like Crush or FA? I'd much rather do and learn from as many MCQ's as possible in this time. I will also do the 3 NBME's and free practice CD.

(For Step 1, I had 3 MONTHS to study, so I did all of Qbank and many subject and mcq books to score 251/99--granted that was over 5 years ago! I'm not retransmitting Step2 scores 'til I see them!!!) Also during MS3, I used Kaplan's Qbank and Qbook to study for shelves, ended third year w/ IM then Surgery.

Just wondering if doing only MCQ is more realistic at this stage in the game? Any thoughts??

I'm sure you can do well with only UW, but I thought that using Crush helped a little. I also used Step Up to Medicine, which I think is awesome if you have the time.

When I typed "QBook" I meant to type "the NMS Step 2 question book," which is very good.

If you're at 57% now I don't think passing is the issue, but maximizing your score.

I think FA is not as long as it seems (nor are any of the others) because if you're fresh from shelf exams and 3rd year, a lot of it will be obvious and quickly skimmable. This test is less about trivia and more about clinical reasoning compared to Step I.

This has been extremely helpful!!

I also used Step Up to Medicine, which I think is awesome if you have the time.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I highly recommend reading Step Up Medicine to beef up your general knowledge in additional to UW. This book was my bible for the wards, and served me really well during Step 2 study.

I agree, I used Step Up all thru 3rd year, and it's still a great reference. I will refer to it if I need clarification of anything fuzzy.

When I typed "QBook" I meant to type "the NMS Step 2 question book," which is very good.

If you're at 57% now I don't think passing is the issue, but maximizing your score.

I think FA is not as long as it seems (nor are any of the others) because if you're fresh from shelf exams and 3rd year, a lot of it will be obvious and quickly skimmable. This test is less about trivia and more about clinical reasoning compared to Step I.

Oh, I didn't know what 57% meant, since it shows me at 35th %ile in UW. That didn't sound good! I think I'll focus on UW and Secrets for now (started secrets last night), plus the other ques (NBME's, free USMLE ones). If I have time, I'll add more MCQ's. Step Up to Med is as always a good reference.

Thanx everyone, Hope this works :luck:

hi guys
does anyone know where i can get the usmle world question ???
thnx

Hello and welcome to the World Wide Web. Your success at registering at a forums site and posting a question (in stereo, no less) shows that you are ready to learn some advanced features.

Today I will introduce you to Google. Google is a "search engine," meaning that it searches through different sites on the World Wide Web. The address for Google is http://www.google.com. It is easy to remember because most sites start with "www," end with ".com," and "google" is the name of the search engine.

When you get to Google, you will see a long, narrow box. Click in it, and you will discover a blinking cursor! Google is special because it finds sites that contain material you are specifically interested in. And it's free!

Let's try typing "usmle world"

Uh oh, which button to press? For beginners such as yourself, I recommend "I'm feeling lucky." Many times you will be taken directly to what you are looking for.

If you are not feeling lucky (it's ok to be honest), the "Google Search" button will find you multiple pages relating to the topic of interest. But let's save this for another day.

Hello and welcome to the World Wide Web. Your success at registering at a forums site and posting a question (in stereo, no less) shows that you are ready to learn some advanced features.

Today I will introduce you to Google. Google is a "search engine," meaning that it searches through different sites on the World Wide Web. The address for Google is http://www.google.com. It is easy to remember because most sites start with "www," end with ".com," and "google" is the name of the search engine.

When you get to Google, you will see a long, narrow box. Click in it, and you will discover a blinking cursor! Google is special because it finds sites that contain material you are specifically interested in. And it's free!

Let's try typing "usmle world"

Uh oh, which button to press? For beginners such as yourself, I recommend "I'm feeling lucky." Many times you will be taken directly to what you are looking for.

If you are not feeling lucky (it's ok to be honest), the "Google Search" button will find you multiple pages relating to the topic of interest. But let's save this for another day.
why the sarcasim ?? if u have a link to download it from..just put the link here and dont waste my time with ur childish behaviour

why the sarcasim ?? if u have a link to download it from..just put the link here and dont waste my time with ur childish behaviour

http://www.usmleworld.com is a website where you can purchase usmleworld legally like everyone else here in accordance with the TOS of this site. You could have found it with my directions, or by guessing that adding .com to the name of the product would direct you to it.

I'm sure you can do well with only UW, but I thought that using Crush helped a little. I also used Step Up to Medicine, which I think is awesome if you have the time.

How much does Step Up for Medicine help for Step 2 since it doesn't cover the other areas? Would I need another book to cover those areas?

princebag, why dont you just buy it like the rest of us. why do people always have to ruin a good thing! its people like you that Force usmleworld to raise there prices! You should want to pay them for the questions that help save ur ass on the exam!