oops, C-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a "C-" mean one has to repeat the class, especially if that grade was for a science class? I am expecting A's in all my science classes, but am worried about organic. Is "C" the minimum grade u can get in a science class for applying to dental school? Even though it is pretty low, it does not significantly lower my GPA, so I don't want to repeat it. Only if I "have to" will i want to repeat that class. I am assuming there is an accepted standard for the minimum grade, but most of the universities' websites don't state anything of the sort.

Members don't see this ad.

nope. i got a C- in bio after i stupidly only attended a quarter of the classes, and dental school still took me in. as long as your cumulative science gpa or BCP is above a 3.0ish (or 3.3 if you want to be supercompetitive), you should be fine.

You should not get below a B-, C at the least, in the required courses such as inorganic, physics.....

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the school. I was planning on applying to Loma Linda, for example, but they will absolutely not accept anything below a C in prerequisites. I figured it wasn't worth retaking an O-Chem class just to apply there. Most schools don't mind if it's a C- or above.

Yeah, you'll just have to check with the schools. At my school, you cant take Ochem II unless you have a "C" or higher in O-chem I. So it all depends.

Typo said:
It depends on the school. I was planning on applying to Loma Linda, for example, but they will absolutely not accept anything below a C in prerequisites. I figured it wasn't worth retaking an O-Chem class just to apply there. Most schools don't mind if it's a C- or above.

Actually I had a C- in GChem I and Loma Linda still accepted me into their pharmacy school. I'm not sure if it would be different for dentistry. They told me during the interview (they had my transcript in front of them) that they don't accept C-'s, like you said, but since I had taken additional upper division chemistry courses (PChem and Analytical Chem) and done well that I showed that I could do well in quanitative chemistry, which is what GChem is essentially (and Analytical chem is really just an extension of general chem anyhow). I would always talk to a school about a questionable grade and see if those sort of conditions can be waived or overlooked after a good performance in a similiar upper division course.

I think I remember reading on Michigan's website that they don't accept C- for prereqs. Though they are one of the few schools that I remember making such a statement. I think you'll be fine, especially if you take upper division coursework in a related field.