Quantcast

oops.... do ALL the prereqs need to be finished by the time you apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluejellybelly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I seriously overlooked my transcript. I had AP chemistry credit and they gave me only 7 credits for it (It fulfills gen chem 1, gen chem 1 lab and gen chem 2) and I need the 1 credit general chemistry lab 2.... The only problem is, if I plan to apply for the 2007 cycle, I won't have it completed til the August of 2006..... Does this mean I have to hold off one entire year cuz of this 1 credit lab??? :confused:

aggie-master

Scrub
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can apply for the 2007 cycle without having any of the prereqs at this point.

You have to complete them before you start school in 2007, not before you apply.

Most of us try to complete them before we apply just to help us out with preparing for the DAT.

bluejellybelly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
aggie-master said:
You can apply for the 2007 cycle without having any of the prereqs at this point.

You have to complete them before you start school in 2007, not before you apply.

Most of us try to complete them before we apply just to help us out with preparing for the DAT.

really? Because under Tuft's "Application requirements" It states the prereqs... I just thought these had to be completed upon applying.

aggie-master

Scrub
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 100% sure.

I still have 8 hours to go and I'm applying next month and finishing the prereqs this summer.

americanpierg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
bluejellybelly said:
I have to say that I seriously overlooked my transcript. I had AP chemistry credit and they gave me only 7 credits for it (It fulfills gen chem 1, gen chem 1 lab and gen chem 2) and I need the 1 credit general chemistry lab 2.... The only problem is, if I plan to apply for the 2007 cycle, I won't have it completed til the August of 2006..... Does this mean I have to hold off one entire year cuz of this 1 credit lab??? :confused:

lol...ur in worse trouble than you know, sorry to tell u this but that 1 lab credit the least of your problems, becuase as i know it im pretty sure most if not all dental schools dont accept AP credit as completetion of your basic course requirements, you would have to take 8 more credit hours of chem on top of ur ap credit (orgo doesnt fulfill these either)

edit: actually its not that bad, cuz u wont need it completed by the time u apply, but ur gonna have to find some chem classes to fill up those 8 credits, u could try physical chem and soemthing else

bluejellybelly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
americanpierg said:
lol...ur in worse trouble than you know, sorry to tell u this but that 1 lab credit the least of your problems, becuase as i know it im pretty sure most if not all dental schools dont accept AP credit as completetion of your basic course requirements, you would have to take 8 more credit hours of chem on top of ur ap credit (orgo doesnt fulfill these either)

Really? Even if my school gives me credit and puts it on my transcript as Gen chem I and II?? Thats odd, because it "looks" as if I did take it in college but with only a pass fail option. Anyone else wanna tell me more?

Yellow Snow

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You cannot use Pass/Fail credit as a prerequisite course for dental school. You have to get a grade for the course and it has to be above a C-.

It should be clear to the dental schools that you took the class AP and not as a normal university student. I don't think it is possible to pass off AP credit as normal university credit just by not mentioning that it was actually AP credit.

Also, as far as I know dental schools do not accept AP credit to fulfill the prerequisite courses even if you do have a letter grade. There may be some exceptions but I have read on several school websites that AP credit will not be accepted.

The good news is that you should still be able to apply this cycle without too big of a hit to your application. Just mark that you intend to take the general chemistry sequence (which you will have to do) and if you do well on the general chemistry section on the DAT then they should have no reason to doubt your knowledge.

americanpierg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
bluejellybelly said:
Really? Even if my school gives me credit and puts it on my transcript as Gen chem I and II?? Thats odd, because it "looks" as if I did take it in college but with only a pass fail option. Anyone else wanna tell me more?

""Students receiving AP credit for Biology, Chemistry and Physics will be required by many medical schools (the website says all information about medical school pertains to dental school except for the exams) to show college level coursework in that subject on their college transcript. Students can either forfeit their AP credit (check the Tufts bulletin to determine what Tufts will award you) or take additional intermediate or upper level courses in those subjects. A student's choice of major, as well as the strength of his/her background, will influence this decision. First year students with AP credit in one science are urged to take another introductory level science rather than choosing an intermediate course for their first college experience with science. For example, those with an AP of 5 in chemistry should try Biology 13 first before opting for organic chemistry.."" thats prolly the closest thing ull find from the tuft website without talking to someone there

and lol most dental schools wont take a pass/fail or grade/no grade type of grading either, my ap credit shows up as transfer credits but im sure they can tell it was ap credit, now arent u glad u came here and asked before it was too late

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You do NOT need to finish all pre-reqs by the time that you apply. You should have the basics out of the way and be at least working on o-chem though. Out of the lot of them physics is the one that is commonly put off by pre-dents until the last moment. You are not tested on physics on the DAT and most dental schools rank that course last in terms of importance (but that should not imply that you should slack off - grades are grades). Best of luck!

PickMe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As for AP credit, I was in a similar situation. I got 8 credits for AP Physics. There's a section on AADSAS for filling in AP credits. I didn't get any crap from dental schools, but that might be because I took 4 additional credits of physics beyond the 2 courses I got credit for. If I were you, I'd call each of the schools and check with them. I can't see them making you take gen chem AFTER your school gave you credit and you took courses beyond it. The DAT can show that you know your stuff. Let us know what they say!

boilermaker05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in the same situation, actually got all my bio and chem credits from AP and I was accepted fine. Also you do not have to complete pre-reqs by the time you are applying just before school starts. Also if it is one credit most schools don't seem to matter. Because, I took one semester of O-chem and was one credit short and schools did not care. Good luck

mcshow2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the AP situation can go either way... and it sucks! You work your butt off in high school, the credits are recognized by your college, and many professional schools don't recognize them.

UCSF I know does not. Another thing that sucks about it, is that ap units aren't calculated into your AADSAS total graded units because they are viewed as pass no pass. I applied with 67 units from my undergrad, and a couple schools told me that I didn't have the required 60 to apply, because aadsas didn't count my 8 AP units leaving me with 59. It was such a hassle.

My reccomendation to high school kids, don't take any ap high school courses you don't plan to repeat in college. (at least science courses)

americanpierg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
mcshow2 said:
I think the AP situation can go either way... and it sucks! You work your butt off in high school, the credits are recognized by your college, and many professional schools don't recognize them.

UCSF I know does not. Another thing that sucks about it, is that ap units aren't calculated into your AADSAS total graded units because they are viewed as pass no pass. I applied with 67 units from my undergrad, and a couple schools told me that I didn't have the required 60 to apply, because aadsas didn't count my 8 AP units leaving me with 59. It was such a hassle.

My reccomendation to high school kids, don't take any ap high school courses you don't plan to repeat in college. (at least science courses)

u got into ucla only after two years?!! that mustve been one helluva freshman year u had, im planning on applying a year early, would u mind pming me some advice?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.