Oops I'm in trouble at UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, as you know I am applying to their MD/PhD program which does not prefer state residents.

Awhile back, somebody posted the URL on the UW web site where the secondary application materials and instructions are located.

So, being an idiot, I just went ahead and filled everything out and sent it back in.

I just got an email from UW stating that I should not have done this, and they wanted to know where I got the info on the secondary since out of state residents get screened out and do not have access to this info.

So I told them about this forum. One of the admissions directors is going to contact one of the SDN administrators/moderators about this. I'm assuming that they want you to delete that thread. This thread is probably buried back in the SDN archives somewhere. I will email the administrators/moderators about this issue as well.

i'll probably be getting a rejection notice shortly as well :(

Members don't see this ad.

oh baylor! Don't worry, u of washington wasn't good anyway.... :D

I told you a while back. I said baylor, they don't take that many out of state residents, and that they screen applicants....you should have listened to watchamacallit :D

But don't worry, no big deal, you already have 6 letters, relax take it easy. I am sure they won't reject you, but will see this as a plus plus for high enthusiasm ;)

I'm honestly a little confused about UW.

According to their website and the admissions person who emailed me, WWAMI/Washington residents ARE NOT given preference for MD/PhD.

However, on the MD/PhD website, it says that you cant complete your application for the MD/PhD side until the MD program sends you a secondary.

Well, since UW screens out all non Washington/WWAMI out of staters for secondaries, then by default UW MUST FAVOR state residents for the MD/PhD program as well. This is because you can only proceed with an MD/PhD application if you pass the residency screen for the normal MD program.

If MD/PhD had a truly separate application process, then I would agree that state residents are not favored. But with the setup they have now, its de facto preference for state residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't screen out all out-of-staters for secondaries, because they take some from disadvanaged backgrounds and some with a strong desire to work with underserved populations. From the admissions website:

Individuals with a demonstrated interest in research may apply for the MD/PhD program (MSTP) regardless of residency. Applicants from outside this five-state region who come from disadvantaged backgrounds or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered...

The Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) is designed for highly qualified candidates who wish to obtain both M.D. and Ph.D. degrees and to pursue careers in basic medical research. Selection for this program is national in scope and is not restricted to residents of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho...

The Medical Scientist Training Program application available to all qualified U.S. applicants. After the University of Washington School of Medicine receives the
AMCAS application, applicants may obtain an MSTP application by visiting the MSTP web site: http://www.pathology.washington.edu/mstp Applicants who wish to be considered for this program must return the application directly to the MSTP office as soon as possible. Applicants will then be notified as to whether supplemental materials should be submitted (which would have to reach the MSTP office by January 15, 2002). Applicants should correspond directly with the MSTP Office (see address below)...

Sounds like you may have just done things in the wrong order. The operative words here may be: After the UWSOM receives the AMCAS application.... Maybe they're waiting for a verified app from AMCAS? I can't believe they'll penalize you for jumping the gun, especially this chaotic year! They are a little anal about how they want things. They tell you how to secure all the forms of their secondary with a paper clip, for pete's sake!

yes that is what it looks like

thta is why I asked you why are you applying to that school? cuz it seems as if the chance of getting into medical school and getting into MD/Phd schools is even slimmer!