This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cittykat

Full Member
Last edited:
These kind of cases are always wild to me. Wasn’t it obvious which leg was infected/gangrenous and needed to come off?? I’m not saying I’m above mistakes, I just don’t understand how this even happens.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These kind of cases are always wild to me. Wasn’t it obvious which leg was infected/gangrenous and needed to come off?? I’m not saying I’m above mistakes, I just don’t understand how this even happens.
A year before I arrived at my first place, they had a wrong site surgery for an amputation. At first, I had the same reaction. Apparently, both feet were horrible, but the right was slightly worse and deemed unsalvageable (the left only likely unsalvageable). She ended up getting both lopped off, which was going to be the outcome anyway, followed by the usual death by a thousand cuts of vascular surgery's endless revisions and moving farther and farther up the legs.
 
Reminds me of a joke. What is the mascot for vascular surgery?


IMG_5018.webp
 
A year before I arrived at my first place, they had a wrong site surgery for an amputation. At first, I had the same reaction. Apparently, both feet were horrible, but the right was slightly worse and deemed unsalvageable (the left only likely unsalvageable). She ended up getting both lopped off, which was going to be the outcome anyway, followed by the usual death by a thousand cuts of vascular surgery's endless revisions and moving farther and farther up the legs.
Or the poly trauma with all their limbs bandaged and multiple ORs planned with an old site marking still on the splint.
 
Wonder if she had blocks and if she had the correct leg blocked.


I heard that this case got dismissed yesterday by a judge. Apparently, she still also had to get the other leg amputated. The judge correctly noted that she didn't have a leg to stand on.

 
A year before I arrived at my first place, they had a wrong site surgery for an amputation. At first, I had the same reaction. Apparently, both feet were horrible, but the right was slightly worse and deemed unsalvageable (the left only likely unsalvageable). She ended up getting both lopped off, which was going to be the outcome anyway, followed by the usual death by a thousand cuts of vascular surgery's endless revisions and moving farther and farther up the legs.
Yep used to be a running joke in residency. We had so many patients that we would initially preop for the toe amp and then foot, bka, aka, hip disarticulation. Then finally we would code them on the floor.

Every time we got a new toe amp it would be “uh oh here we go again!”
 
I heard that this case got dismissed yesterday by a judge. Apparently, she still also had to get the other leg amputated. The judge correctly noted that she didn't have a leg to stand on.




Do you have a reference? The indication for the amputation was reportedly squamous cell carcinoma of the right leg.





“On Sept. 19, 2025, Ms. Jacks agreed to have her lower right leg amputated after her doctor recommended the procedure as part of a treatment plan for a diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma, a type of skin cancer, Mr. Layne said.”
 
Do you have a reference? The indication for the amputation was reportedly squamous cell carcinoma of the right leg.





“On Sept. 19, 2025, Ms. Jacks agreed to have her lower right leg amputated after her doctor recommended the procedure as part of a treatment plan for a diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma, a type of skin cancer, Mr. Layne said.”
Here is a useful reference:

1790795253020.png