OOS for Buffalo and Stonybrook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AthenaProject

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a CA resident with a 4.0 GPA and 26AA (27 TS) on the DAT. I would like to apply to Buffalo and Stonybrook next cycle (that possible in-state tuition!) but I heard that they weren't very OOS friendly. Is it worth it to apply there? Are there other state schools that are more OOS friendly? Thank you!

Edit: I'm looking at Buffalo and Stonybrook because they are among the cheapest options outside of California!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No, they don’t have in-state preference. They know out-of-state people will pay big bucks for their tuition
He/she/they/it has perfect stats lol. Why would you recommend NYU when he/she/they/it can definitely get into cheaper and better schools? @Big Time Hoosier

Reactions: 1 user
Def apply! D1 here at stony and a good amount of my classmates are from OOS!

SBU is OOS friendly and grants IS tuition after a year.

As an NYU student, I want to warn you to ignore any advice that tells you to go to NYU as an OOS. It's not effing worth it. You will owe 600k+ possibly even 700k by graduation. I live in NYC and am paying 400k pre-interest alone for COA which by my estimations add up to 490k total by graduation. It's barely worth it for me to go and I already live here rent free with a free home dinner every night. As an OOS, you will have to pay an extra 25k a year for all of that.

Again, do not come here as an OOS unless you have rich parents who are willing to pay for your tuition OR if you can get HSPS that pays for your entire COA+COL.
Even if you have rich parents.. don’t make them pay that much for an education you can get at another school for half the price

Reactions: 4 users
I'm OOS for Buffalo and got an interview with 4.0gpa and 22AA! Everyone on my call was OOS except 2 NY people. Definitely apply to those schools if you want, your stats are amazing!