OOS Friendly Medical Schools in the Southeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jthinson123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still a sophomore, but I want to start planning out a list of schools to apply to. I am a resident of Alabama and go to the University of Alabama. I know that I will apply to the four medical schools here (2 M.D. and 2 D.O.), with the goal of getting into UASOM. However, I do want to apply to some OOS schools, as well. Does anyone know of any med schools in the southeast that are OOS friendly? The only state that I might qualify as having strong ties with is Texas (I enlisted into the military there and was medically retired).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Private schools are typically going to be more OOS friendly. To them it usually doesn't matter if you're in state or out of state.

If you haven't already checked out the MSAR (https://services.aamc.org/msar/home#4919) I would recommend it. In the paid version you can see their in state vs out of state stats in terms of applicants, interviews, and acceptances.

Last edited:
Also, it's ok to have an idea where you might want to apply, but first things first. Your focus should be on GPA & extracurriculars. Don't get too tied up in this yet. But I applaud the preparedness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really wouldn't advise making a school list until you have a better idea of where your GPA range will be. For example, both Emory and Wake Forest are private schools in the southeast that are out-of-state friendly, but applicants to those schools have very different stat profiles.

Reactions: 1 user
Private schools are typically going to be more OOS friendly. To them it usually doesn't matter if you're in state or out of state.

If you haven't already checked out the MSAR (https://services.aamc.org/msar/home#4919) I would recommend it. In the paid version you can see their in state vs out of state stats in terms of applicants, interviews, and acceptances.

View attachment 215144
(This is Medical College of Georgia at Augusta Univ.)

I will most definitely be purchasing the paid version of the MSAR when I get paid.

Also, it's ok to have an idea where you might want to apply, but first things first. Your focus should be on GPA & extracurriculars. Don't get too tied up in this yet. But I applaud the preparedness.

Thank you for the advice. I agree, I do need to focus on my grades and EC's. I just feel like it would be good to at least apply to any in-state schools.
Really wouldn't advise making a school list until you have a better idea of where your GPA range will be. For example, both Emory and Wake Forest are private schools in the southeast that are out-of-state friendly, but applicants to those schools have very different stat profiles.

Thank you for the input! Yeah, my first time in college (before I enlisted), didn't turn out to be the greatest. I definitely slacked off and did not put much effort into studying. I know it's just my first semester back to school since I got out of the military, but I definitely can see the improvements (midterms come out in a few weeks and right now, my lowest grade is an A (94%) ), so I am feeling much better this time around. However, I do agree with you that I need to have a better idea of where my GPA will be closer to the time I decide to apply. I need to bring my overall GPA up, anyways. Do medical schools look at an upwards trend if you had a poor first year of college?