OOS Friendly Schools List from ADEA Guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imnopremedokay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read the following completely!!

Lots of people asking about OOS friendly schools. Scumbag Steve's guide has the info you need but since that still seems like too much work for everyone, I compiled a list using ADEA's guide. Full disclosure: this is the 2016-2017 ADEA guide so it isn't the most up to date edition but the information should be accurate (class sizes might have changed a little). I wasn't really sure how to define "OOS" friendly so I set the number to an arbitrary 30% of the class being OOS. I included the class sizes because while some schools may have a good percentage of OOS students, a small class size would indicate that gaining admission is still quite difficult comparatively (Harvard or UConn, for example). Use your own judgment, I'm just providing the numbers all in one place.

Schools in red are private schools, schools in green are state schools. The percentage shown is the percent of OOS students in each class and the class size in parentheses.

AT Still University (AZ): 75% (76)
Midwestern-AZ: 75% (140)
University of Southern California: 40% (153)
Western University: 37% (79)

University of Colorado*: 34% (80)
University of Connecticut**: 50% (46)

Howard University*: 99-100% (72)
LECOM: 50% (100)
Nova Southeastern: 40% (127)
Midwestern-IL: 60% (130)

Indiana University: 33% (106)
University of Iowa: 30% (80)
University of Kentucky: 35% (66)
University of Louisville: 66% (119)

University of New England: 75% (64)
University of Maryland: 45% (130)
Boston University**: 75% (101)
Harvard University: 85% (35)
Tufts University: 75% (200)
University of Detroit Mercy**: 50% (145)

University of Michigan: 40% (120)
University of Minnesota: 40% (106)

AT Still University (MO): 75% (42)
Creighton University: 88% (84)

UNLV: 50% (81)
Rutgers University: 30% (91)

Columbia University: 75% (80)
New York University**: 70% (387)
Touro College: N/A, but will be OOS friendly
Case Western Reserve University**: 85% (74)

Oregon Health Science University***: 36% (76)
Temple University*: 50% (140)
University of Pennsylvania**: 85% (120)
University of Pittsburgh*: ~35-40% (80)
Meharry Medical College*: 85% (62)
Roseman University: 75% (82)

Virginia Commonwealth University: 35% (95)
West Virginia University: 30% (57)
Marquette University: 50% (100)

*OOS preference given to WICHE states (look up what that means, too many states to list here)
**OOS preference given to residents of New England states
***OOS preference given to AZ, HI, NM, ND, WY, and other western states

*Preference highly given to underrepresented minorities
**International Friendly

*Only partially state funded

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 31 users
Edited because I somehow forgot to add Marquette (an excellent OOS friendly school btw). Let me know if there's any mistakes!

Thank you very much for this list
But do you have by any chance the stats for Stony Brook?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hrm. Would it perhaps be better to remove UNC from my list and add Upenn? I am a Florida resident and UNC only took 4 Florida residents in their 2020 class.
For context, I have a 3.82 GPA, 200 shadowing hours, ~ 150 volunteering / voluntary assisting hours. I take the DAT on June 25th.

Thank you very much for this list
But do you have by any chance the stats for Stony Brook?

Hey! StonyBrook is ridiculously hard to get in if you are OOS. I've done my research and do not recommend applying. Additionally, they require some really high numbers (DAT and GPA). So I would err on the side of no and say it's a difficult school to gain entry into unless you are from NY.

Reactions: 1 user
Hrm. Would it perhaps be better to remove UNC from my list and add Upenn? I am a Florida resident and UNC only took 4 Florida residents in their 2020 class.
For context, I have a 3.82 GPA, 200 shadowing hours, ~ 150 volunteering / voluntary assisting hours. I take the DAT on June 25th.
UNC is notoriously known for favoring instate applicants. I would replace it with UPenn, hands down. They do the same thing in their undergraduate program as well. I applied in Undergrad and was told by many people that they hardly select candidates from out of state.

UNC is notoriously known for favoring instate applicants. I would replace it with UPenn, hands down. They do the same thing in their undergraduate program as well. I applied in Undergrad and was told by many people that they hardly select candidates from out of state.
I figured as much, thanks for the reply - and good luck if you're applying!

UNE doesnt have the ** next to it...I would assume it would give preference to New England residents lol

UNE doesnt have the ** next to it...I would assume it would give preference to New England residents lol

While you are correct, the reason I didn't add a ** next to it is because when looking into the demographics of their previous classes, a large number of them were not from the NE area. So yes they do favor New England residents, but it doesn't seem like they make up as large number of the class as one would think.

While you are correct, the reason I didn't add a ** next to it is because when looking into the demographics of their previous classes, a large number of them were not from the NE area. So yes they do favor New England residents, but it doesn't seem like they make up as large number of the class as one would think.
Got it, thanks for the clarification!

Spoke with a rep from the University of Colorado during the ADEA fair and 50% of out of state offers are given to WICHE students and the rest are offered to other states residents.

Your GPA is good. Average dat is 22/22 for oos applicants. If you can kill the DAT I'd say still apply.

Another tidbit I just learned, the rep from Iowa told me that some members of the admissions committee give preference to applicants in states that do not have dental schools and some do not.

Marquette is public? Weird as the undergrad school is private

add UCSF to this list.. even though it is a public school it clearly states in the website that it does not give preference to CA residents

Are Canadian students considered as international applicants? Or would we be considered "out of state"