OOS Matriculants vs applicants numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

ngpremed

Hello everyone! While making my school list I was thinking about the AAMC IS and OOS applicant/matriculant numbers. The table lists the % of applicants and the % of matriculants who are IS and OOS.

Would it instead be better to calculate the number (not %) of OOS matriculants / number of OOS applicants?

For example:

-School A has 20 OOS matriculants out of 100 total in the class, with 2,000 OOS applicants. The % OOS matriculants on the AAMC table would be 20%, but the matriculation rate would be 1% for OOS applicants.

-School B has 50 OOS matriculants out of 100 total, but had 10,000 OOS applicants. The OOS percentage shown on the AAMC table would be 50%, but only 0.5% of OOS applicants matriculated.

Would School A in this example be more "OOS friendly" than School B?

Is this a better way to think of the numbers? Or am I thinking of this the wrong way? Perhaps the number of acceptances rather than matriculants might be more useful, but I can't seem to find data for that. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a Reddit page showing number of acceptances that someone got from US news. It seems legit and much nicer knowing how many people are accepted instead of just matriculated. I don't have the link now on mobile but you should be able to Google it.

Hello everyone! While making my school list I was thinking about the AAMC IS and OOS applicant/matriculant numbers. The table lists the % of applicants and the % of matriculants who are IS and OOS.

Would it instead be better to calculate the number (not %) of OOS matriculants / number of OOS applicants?

For example:

-School A has 20 OOS matriculants out of 100 total in the class, with 2,000 OOS applicants. The % OOS matriculants on the AAMC table would be 20%, but the matriculation rate would be 1% for OOS applicants.

-School B has 50 OOS matriculants out of 100 total, but had 10,000 OOS applicants. The OOS percentage shown on the AAMC table would be 50%, but only 0.5% of OOS applicants matriculated.

Would School A in this example be more "OOS friendly" than School B?

Is this a better way to think of the numbers? Or am I thinking of this the wrong way? Perhaps the number of acceptances rather than matriculants might be more useful, but I can't seem to find data for that. Thanks!
You're making my brain hurt. You need to see how many people got interviews, not merely matriculated. Without this, the OOS applicants will get lulled into a false sense of security about chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a Reddit page showing number of acceptances that someone got from US news. It seems legit and much nicer knowing how many people are accepted instead of just matriculated. I don't have the link now on mobile but you should be able to Google it.

Thanks! I think I found what you're referring to. It's missing data from some schools, but it definitely looks like a good place to start.

You're making my brain hurt. You need to see how many people got interviews, not merely matriculated. Without this, the OOS applicants will get lulled into a false sense of security about chances.

Lol, sorry. Does AAMC publish that data? I found the reddit post that freedoctor17 was talking about. That seems to be the only source of info I've found so far.

Thanks! I think I found what you're referring to. It's missing data from some schools, but it definitely looks like a good place to start.

Lol, sorry. Does AAMC publish that data? I found the reddit post that freedoctor17 was talking about. That seems to be the only source of info I've found so far.
It's in MSAR.

The nice thing about the Reddit doc vs the msar data is that it shows number of ACCEPTANCES while msar only shows MATRICULANTS. Personally I don't care how many oos matriculated but more of what percentage were accepted. There are plenty of reasons for an oos person not to go to an oos school vs another one (higher cost, location, etc.) So I feel like the matriculated value is gonna be deflated.

What I look at is percentage of total oos applicants>oos interviews>oos acceptances

Msar is great for all the other info on schools though including MCAT and gpa averages so you can narrow your list down. Also gives you info on grading and curriculum and cost of living. Not a fan much of the campus life section though, they could probably have put more detail into that.

Reactions: 1 users