OOS preferece

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TKT01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any DO school that I should not even bother to apply as an OOS applicant, regardless of stats or anything?

I'm not even sure whether there's one or not, but I am just curious since I will be an OOS applicant for every DO schools.

If anyone knows one, let me know.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any DO school that I should not even bother to apply as an OOS applicant, regardless of stats or anything?

I'm not even sure whether there's one or not, but I am just curious since I will be an OOS applicant for every DO schools.

Thank you!

As far as I know, most of the public schools have an in-state preference.
You can look at this:
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Documents/ASROME2006.pdf
And get a general idea too. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't bother applying to the NJ school, TCOM, OU, or MSU as OOS. That Pacific Northwest school is verrrrrry skewed to people in the region, if I recall correctly.

MSU has an in-state preference and pretty much weeds OOS'ers out by charing 60,000 + a year in tuition. I am from MI and applied to TCOM. I ended up getting an interview, but was waitlisted and never heard back. If you think you have good stats and want to apply to TCOM, I would. The other schools that have high in state pref. are OU and IU. Most get rejected from IU unless you are a resident or Indiana or have very strong ties to the state. OU has a sort of contract where you have to agree to stay in the state for a certain amount of time and practice after residency. Hope this helps and good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you!

I avoided Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, MSU and West Virginia for this reason. Here's the data if you want it though.

Website %OOS KCOM 79% SOMA 77% AZCOM 71% CCOM-MWU 43% DMU-COM 73% GA-PCOM OOS friendly KCUMB-COM 84% LECOM 67% LECOM 66% LMU-DCOM MSU-COM 11% NSU-COM 56% NYCOM 35% OSUCOM 12% OUCOM 13% PNWUCOM PCOM 49% PSCOM 53% RVU-COM TOUROCOM-NY TOUROCOM-CA 47% TUNCOM 89% UMDNJ-SOM 2 UNE-COM 76% TCOM 10% VCOM 65% Western UCOMP 69% WVSOM 44%

i believe people avoid applying to WVCOM as OOS is because of its ridiculous tuition price for OOS students, not because its IS/OOS bias.

Thank you everyone for your input. So there are at least 5 DO schools that I should avoid applying as an OOS..