OOS Texas applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russ7272

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I will be applying to dental schools this upcoming cycle. I plan on applying to each Texas dental school even though I'm OOS (3.94, 24 Dat). Do OOS students need to complete the TMDSAS as well or is that just for in state students?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,
I will be applying to dental schools this upcoming cycle. I plan on applying to each Texas dental school even though I'm OOS (3.94, 24 Dat). Do OOS students need to complete the TMDSAS as well or is that just for in state students?
Yes, OOS students can apply through TMDSAS. In fact, it's heavily encouraged that you do so. TMDSAS will have all the information that the TX schools are looking for, in the format that they like, so preference is given to those applications rather than those filed through AADSAS.

Nice stats, btw. You probably stand a pretty good chance as far as OOS students go, given that the rest of your application is strong. Best of luck next cycle.

Hey everybody,
Good luck to you - hope you can get in. tuition is so reasonable. getting in to TX schools as OOS is super tough. they didn't even respond to me a few years back.

if I were to go back, I'd see if I could establish TX residency and then apply as in-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, OOS students can apply through TMDSAS. In fact, it's heavily encouraged that you do so. TMDSAS will have all the information that the TX schools are looking for, in the format that they like, so preference is given to those applications rather than those filed through AADSAS.

Nice stats, btw. You probably stand a pretty good chance as far as OOS students go, given that the rest of your application is strong. Best of luck next cI
Thanks. I should have about 130-140 shadowing hours at the time of applying and 180- 200 volunteering hours. Also doing research in college. You think that's enough hours?

Good luck to you - hope you can get in. tuition is so reasonable. getting in to TX schools as OOS is super tough. they didn't even respond to me a few years back.

if I were to go back, I'd see if I could establish TX residency and then apply as in-state.
What were your stats if you don't mind me asking

Thanks. I should have about 130-140 shadowing hours at the time of applying and 180- 200 volunteering hours. Also doing research in college. You think that's enough hours?
Your hours definitely look good, but TX schools care a lot about the diversity of your shadowing and the quality of your volunteering. Research isn't a necessity, but it will absolutely help you to stand out (which is important as a non-resident applicant). Make sure you have strong LORs, write amazing essays, and practice your interviewing skills. Oh, and if you can find some ties to Texas, definitely write about them. I don't know exactly to what standards they hold OOS students, but that's the best advice that I can give you.

Hey everybody,
Not to discourage you from applying but unless you have strong ties to Texas it’s very, very unlikely as OOS. I applied this year day 1 with a higher DAT, similar GPA, similar shadowing, significantly more volunteering (long-term quality stuff with underserved in areas that I was passionate about not related to dentistry), research + publication, 3 years of professional work experience in a different area and didn’t hear anything from Texas schools.

The cheap tuition is very appealing and if you have the money to spend definitely shoot your shot. But Unless you have ties to Texas, I would approach it as “if I hear anything from the Texas schools that’s a bonus, but I’m not expecting an interview and don’t mind donating my app fee to Texas dental education”

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Not to discourage you from applying but unless you have strong ties to Texas it’s very, very unlikely as OOS. I applied this year day 1 with a higher DAT, similar GPA, similar shadowing, significantly more volunteering (long-term quality stuff with underserved in areas that I was passionate about not related to dentistry), research + publication, 3 years of professional work experience in a different area and didn’t hear anything from Texas schools.

The cheap tuition is very appealing and if you have the money to spend definitely shoot your shot. But Unless you have ties to Texas, I would approach it as “if I hear anything from the Texas schools that’s a bonus, but I’m not expecting an interview and don’t mind donating my app fee to Texas dental education”

Go for it. Everyone told me not to apply to Texas schools and that it was a waste of time because the chances are so low. I figured I’m spending $165 to apply to the Texas schools for a possible savings of tens of thousands of dollars. For me it was worth it. I ended up interviewing at all three schools and getting accepted to Houston. I always encourage people to apply because the potential tuition savings are huge compared to the cost of applying. Two of my friends both had DAT scores of 24 and one is at Houston and the other at San Antonio. We were all out of state as well. Go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Go for it. Everyone told me not to apply to Texas schools and that it was a waste of time because the chances are so low. I figured I’m spending $165 to apply to the Texas schools for a possible savings of tens of thousands of dollars. For me it was worth it. I ended up interviewing at all three schools and getting accepted to Houston. I always encourage people to apply because the potential tuition savings are huge compared to the cost of applying. Two of my friends both had DAT scores of 24 and one is at Houston and the other at San Antonio. We were all out of state as well. Go for it.
Any advice that helps you stand out?