OOS UCSF interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totalcommand

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got rejected from ucsf mstp but got an interview at their md program.

Does anyone know if they set aside a quota of spots for out of state people, or is it flexible how many they accept? What percentage of people are out of state there?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think once you make it to the MD interview you've made it past in the IS/OOS screening. You've got about a 50/50 shot at MD only admissions once you interview, this is coming from them from my MSTP interview there.

I think once you make it to the MD interview you've made it past in the IS/OOS screening. You've got about a 50/50 shot at MD only admissions once you interview, this is coming from them from my MSTP interview there.

The above poster is correct---I interviewed OOS at UCSF in September and they told us that once you have an interview you are past the IS/OOS screening and they will not be looking at that aspect of your application anymore. You have the same chance as everyone else who receives an interview of being accepted, 50%. Good luck:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, how long did they have your complete secondary before offering you an interview?

Out of curiosity, how long did they have your complete secondary before offering you an interview?

A really short amount of time, ten days I think, BUT keep in mind, that was in August and they may be running slower now

UCSF usually takes about 10% of its class from OOS. Most of these are ultracompetitve applicants such as yourself. They put a premium on elite undergraduate schools and research, so your chances are not bad.

The above poster is correct---I interviewed OOS at UCSF in September and they told us that once you have an interview you are past the IS/OOS screening and they will not be looking at that aspect of your application anymore. You have the same chance as everyone else who receives an interview of being accepted, 50%. Good luck:)

Thanks for the reply. Good luck to you to!

Congratulations to all of you guys for getting interviews OOS. I am OOS and they were my top choice and I was rejected, despite the fact that my numbers and research are miles above their averages.

Those of you that have gone and visited--how have you liked it so far?

UCSF usually takes about 10% of its class from OOS. Most of these are ultracompetitve applicants such as yourself. They put a premium on elite undergraduate schools and research, so your chances are not bad.

Ok, this is kinda misleading. During the interview day, the Dean at UCSF explained the OOS process like this:

There are 5000-6000 applicants, 1500 get secondaries, 500 get interviews, 250 of those 500 get acceptances.

Of the 500 who get interviews 30% are out of state--and of the 250 accepted 30% are out of state, acceptances are basically blind to IS/OOS after the interview stage.

However, the final class WILL be about 18-20% OOS, not 30% OOS because invariably less OOS choose to attend UCSF once accepted than IS acceptees. Regardless, the final class OOS is more than the 10% predicted by the above poster...current first year has 18% OOS.

I also interviewed in September and my recollection is also that once you get an interview, you are longer handicapped by being OOS.

My recollection differs from Max's quote below however. I thought UCSF only interviewed around 500 total and the number was weighted more towards in-state for granted interviews. But- I'm to lazy to go look at materials so maybe I'm mistaken.

I did absolutely love UCSF.

Best of luck

SF

Ok, this is kinda misleading. During the interview day, the Dean at UCSF explained the OOS process like this:

There are 5000-6000 applicants, 1500 get secondaries, 500 get interviews, 250 get straight-up acceptances.

Of the 500 who get interviews 30% are out of state--and of the 250 accepted 30% are out of state, acceptances are basically blind to IS/OOS after the interview stage.

However, the final class WILL be about 18-20% OOS, not 30% OOS because invariably less OOS choose to attend UCSF once accepted than IS acceptees. Regardless, the final class OOS is more than the 10% predicted by the above poster...current first year has 18% OOS.

I find it strange that they screen pre-secondary, prompt you for a secondary with no real additional information (an "update" is something one would send no matter what, imho), and then screen again. How do they make the decisions to cut down those additional people? All other schools that offer no-essay-secondaries don't screen presecondary, which makes more sense to me. Of course, I'm OOS, I have submitted the secondary (a few weeks back) and have yet to hear about interviews, so my view may be biased on this issue :)

I also interviewed in September and my recollection is also that once you get an interview, you are longer handicapped by being OOS.

My recollection differs from Max's quote below however. I thought UCSF only interviewed around 500 total and the number was weighted more towards in-state for granted interviews. But- I'm to lazy to go look at materials so maybe I'm mistaken.

I did absolutely love UCSF.

Best of luck

SF

yes, they do only interview 500 total....sorry, i meant 250 of those 500 get accepted without being "waitlisted" and then accepted when I said "straight up" :)

yes, they do only interview 500 total....sorry, i meant 250 of those 500 get accepted without being "waitlisted" and then accepted when I said "straight up" :)

Oh- what you said makes perfect sense. I'm just a lot dumber early in the morning.

Bottom line seems to be: if you get an interview it doesn't matter where you come from at that point.

If you do get an interview- get ready to wait however. They told me their admissions meetings don't start until mid-december.

SF

I find it strange that they screen pre-secondary, prompt you for a secondary with no real additional information (an "update" is something one would send no matter what, imho), and then screen again. How do they make the decisions to cut down those additional people? All other schools that offer no-essay-secondaries don't screen presecondary, which makes more sense to me. Of course, I'm OOS, I have submitted the secondary (a few weeks back) and have yet to hear about interviews, so my view may be biased on this issue :)

Letters of rec

Letters of rec

Ahh. Yes. Great point. Finally, I can have an experiment where the only variable is my letters of rec! Time to find out if people were nice after all! :)

Oh- what you said makes perfect sense. I'm just a lot dumber early in the morning.

Bottom line seems to be: if you get an interview it doesn't matter where you come from at that point.

If you do get an interview- get ready to wait however. They told me their admissions meetings don't start until mid-december.

SF

Haha, Senor, don't worry, we're all dumber in the morning---case in point = my Psci Mcat section:) I also loved UCSF---it's certainly one of my top choices, maybe even above Harvard (gasp). I wonder if you were in my interview group which was filled with very nice people, I'm going to assume you were just for fun.

Haha, Senor, don't worry, we're all dumber in the morning---case in point = my Psci Mcat section:) I also loved UCSF---it's certainly one of my top choices, maybe even above Harvard (gasp). I wonder if you were in my interview group which was filled with very nice people, I'm going to assume you were just for fun.

Could be- I was in late September as well. There was only one other male in my group and he was from Oregon (I realize I can't be certain you're male- taking a stab at that one).

I agree- it may just be my top choice... still going on interviews though, so we'll see. Do you have any acceptances yet?

SF

Could be- I was in late September as well. There was only one other male in my group and he was from Oregon (I realize I can't be certain you're male- taking a stab at that one).

I agree- it may just be my top choice... still going on interviews though, so we'll see. Do you have any acceptances yet?

SF

Haha, this thread is turning into our own private conversation. I'm actually a girl, and from VT, but my interview group was just me and three boys, so I guess you weren't in it:) I'm still going to interviews cause yeah, no acceptances yet.....none of the schools i've interviewed at so far have released them for when I interviewed....the waiting, oh the waiting. I'm going to some pretty big east coasters this week but I'm not sure i'll like them better than UCSF