Open Container Ticket

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So on a recent visit to another city I was given a pink ticket for public consumption for having an open container of beer. I wasn't drunk (had one beer prior), and wasn't drinking the beer but just had it in my coat pocket and was leaving an open air bar and had walked about a block. Stupid, of course, and definitely not going to happen again, but I wasn't being a nuisance or anything and was respectful with the police officer. I've never had any kind of disciplinary measure/infraction before. The ticket isn't a felony or a misdemeanor, just a violation akin to a parking ticket and I paid a $25 fine.

I'm planning on applying to MD schools this coming cycle and am wondering how this will be looked at and whether I should report it in some way / whether background checkers care about this sort of thing. I think my stats and ECs all look pretty good besides this.

Members don't see this ad.

So on a recent visit to another city I was given a pink ticket for public consumption for having an open container of beer. I wasn't drunk (had one beer prior), and wasn't drinking the beer but just had it in my coat pocket and was leaving an open air bar and had walked about a block. Stupid, of course, and definitely not going to happen again, but I wasn't being a nuisance or anything and was respectful with the police officer. I've never had any kind of disciplinary measure/infraction before. The ticket isn't a felony or a misdemeanor, just a violation akin to a parking ticket and I paid a $25 fine.

I'm planning on applying to MD schools this coming cycle and am wondering how this will be looked at and whether I should report it in some way / whether background checkers care about this sort of thing. I think my stats and ECs all look pretty good besides this.

Umm, pretty sure minor infractions don't count. Arrests, misdemeanor convictions, and felony convictions may affect your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. Any thoughts @Goro & @LizzyM ?
Open container? What were you thinking? How would you like it if you knew your doctor at one point in his premed life got a ticket for an open container? lol In all seriousness though, I've heard that the furthest a school will ask is for any expunged arrests (which is technically an illegal question). I have not heard of any schools asking for ticketed offences.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't appear to rise to the level of something that must be reported and even if it were, I've not seen it treated as a big deal or a road block to admission.
Concur. Only a few schools are anal enough to ask about these in secondaries. If they do, just the truth, and own this.
Thanks to you both, that's a relief.

Open container? What were you thinking? How would you like it if you knew your doctor at one point in his premed life got a ticket for an open container? lol In all seriousness though, I've heard that the furthest a school will ask is for any expunged arrests (which is technically an illegal question). I have not heard of any schools asking for ticketed offences.
Lol that's what I was hoping to hear, but wanted to check with SDN to appease my neuroticism.

Lol that's what I was hoping to hear, but wanted to check with SDN to appease my neuroticism.
I imagine the only school that would reject you for this would be LUCOM as they have a no alcohol policy as well as a no fun policy.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah had an open container on my app and it was fine.. just explain it as briefly as possible, no one will care

You might want to call the jurisdiction that gave you the ticket and/or read your ticket carefully -- but the idea is to find out exactly what class of offense it is -- That technicality could be very important in determining whether or not it's reportable. If it's technically a misdemeanor, you may have to report (no one will really care), but if it's officially an "infraction" then it isn't even reportable.

This happened to me last year and it didn't show in my background check. I was standing next to my friends while they were drinking and the officer ticketed me anyways. When you get accepted or waitlisted at a med school, Certiphi will give you the option of looking at your own background check before you submit to the schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I do have a question: why would you carry an open beer in your pocket?

Reactions: 1 user