open ICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On first pass, it seems totally invalid. The way open ICU's work, in my experience, is that when the ER or a ward team feels that a patient needs ICU care, they make an "ICU consult." If the ICU resident thinks that a patient doesn't merit ICU care, they'll turn the patient down. At that point, the ward team (or hospitalist) is free to admit the patient to the ICU under their own care, without an intensivist. Of course, the ICU resident has a vested interest in keeping as many patients off his or her service as possible, so there's a high degree of motivation to block ICU transfers - only the very sickest patients make the cut. Patients who are intubated, on pressors, obvious multi-organ failure - they always got the nod, and they clearly have a higher mortality than a COPD'er who just needs a night on NIPPV.

The article tried to control for this, but they mention right in the abstract that there could be unrecognized confounders of that nature that could invalidate the results. I think all that study does is confirm two obvious truths: 1) intensivists take care of sick patients, and 2) sick patients frequently die.

yes, but the results of this article challenge the standard belief that intensivists take better care of icu patients than general internists. sure, maybe they didn't control enough for the severity. but what if they did? why are the patients dying?

Members don't see this ad :)
because more is usually not better in medicine. the more procedures you get, the more complications you will have, the more things that they will find that need further work-up, it turns into a mess pretty easily. I didn't read that article carefully (no interest in these retrospective "controlled" papers), but I wouldn't be surprised if the intensivists were more aggressive about withdrawing support in patients. If you see a lot of ICU patients and know that 90% don't survie some condition, you are probably more likely to tell some family member to withdraw support then if you haven't just come off taking care of the last 9 of 10 patients that died with tht condition. I've noticed that, there is a lot of last patient biasesness in medicine where you assume your patient is going to do as poorly as your last patient did even when the evidence may not support it.

yes, but the results of this article challenge the standard belief that intensivists take better care of icu patients than general internists. sure, maybe they didn't control enough for the severity. but what if they did? why are the patients dying?

it seems that the study is just too broad, as there are likely way too many differences between icu's, and what is considered an "icu patient". my hospital is an open icu, and we see what i consider to be really sick patients. however, both my grandparents have been in the icu (in other hospitals), and i think i would have had either of my grandparents in a step down unit/dou or telemetry.

some patients go to icu as a part of a protocol, eg. s/p spinal fusion, drug overdose regardless of drug ingested, dka, stemi s/p stent... those patients are likely to do well, and probably don't derive any benefit from having a full time intensivist on board. do these type of patients, as alluded to by rtrain, get refused, and then fall into the non-intensivist arm? i assume they do.

on the other hand, the 90 year old nursing home patient who is demented, contracted, chronic indwelling foley with cough, dirty urine, bp of 70, o2 sat of 60% on non rebreather... we know an intensivist is likely to be involved, and we know the chance of mortality is high?

also, as the authors of the article pointed out, they looked at in hospital mortality, not 30 day mortality. it'd be interesting to know what the 30 day mortality is/was.

i'd be intersted to hear the view of any pulmonary/critical care medicine fellows or attendings we might have here on sdn on this article.

Interesting study, but clearly has some issues. The critical care cohort of patients was much sicker than the non-critical care physician group. They attempted to control for disease severity by stratifying for SAP and propensity scores, but it's not at all clear that this is sufficient to control completely for the higher acuity of the critical care cohort. The discussion goes into a number of other potential confounders, including lead time bias.

I think the paper is best viewed as a discussion point about what ideal care is in the ICU (particularly with which protocols and procedures should be instituted), rather than as evidence that intensivist's are not needed with critical care patients.

i doubt there would be this kind of debate and skepticism if the study showed improved mortality with intensivists. i think we all believe that intensivists are better at taking care of icu patients. in the article they cited several articles that had shown improved mortality with intensivist care. we have closed icu's at most of the hospitals here. this article goes against something most of us believe, and it's harder to accept. however, i think it's important to recognize one's own biases and view the data objectively.

My take-home point from this article is that papers about critical care medicine are really difficult from a technical perpective. Honestly, I would have been shocked if this paper did show a statistical mortality benefit regarding the type of physician that cares for the critically ill, because, for all intents and purposes, no studies about critical care show a mortality benefit. If I recall correctly, the papers that led to the implementation of the "venilator bundle," like those for GI prophylaxis, raising the head of the bed, daily sedation vacations, etc, some of the papers that have influenced practice of ICU medicine the most in the past decade, did not show a mortality benefit. Mostly they showed decreased days on a ventilator and decreased days in the ICU. In addition to the points mentioned above, the numbers required to sufficiently power these studies and the marginal benefit of these maneuvers makes it really hard to do such a study well.

here's an interesting take on this article from dr. bob wachter:
http://www.the-hospitalist.org/blog...ivists-be-harmful-to-icu-patients-health.aspx

Could Intensivists Be Harmful to ICU Patients’ Health?

Of all the structural (how care is organized) “evidence-based markers of high quality care,” perhaps the most ironclad has been the involvement of critical care physicians in the care of ICU patients. That is, until now.

In a sophisticated study in today’s Annals of Internal Medicine, Levy and colleagues mine a decade-old, 100-hospital, 123-ICU database containing detailed clinical data on more than 100,000 patients to examine the association between ICU staffing models and hospital mortality. The researchers tell us that they began the study expecting to confirm the benefit of intensivists (also called “critical care physicians”). It would have been odd to expect otherwise, since such a benefit has been seen in a number of prior, smaller studies (summarized here).

Levy et al. were really seeking answers to two different but related questions. The first: in those ICUs (n=79, or 64% of the 123 ICUs) in which non-intensivist physicians sometimes called for intensivist help, what was the effect of involving an intensivist on hospital mortality? In the other hospitals (“no choice” institutions), it appeared that patients either virtually always received intensivist consultation and/or management (n=23, 19%; particularly large teaching hospitals) or virtually never did (n=21, 17%). So in these hospitals, the authors were testing which of the two models led to lower mortality rates. Seemed like a no-brainer.

Shockingly (no pun), in the “choice” hospitals, hospital mortality rates were significantly higher when intensivists were called in. Moreover, mortality was also substantially higher in those ICUs in which intensivists managed virtually every patient than in those in which they managed few or none.

You are probably thinking that these must be apples-to-oranges comparisons – patients in intensivist-only ICUs, or those in “choice” hospitals who receive intensivist care, simply must be sicker. A reasonable concern, to be sure, and in fact such patients were more ill. But the investigators, using robust statistical methods to adjust for severity of illness and for the “propensity” to involve an intensivist, found that this case-mix difference explained only a small proportion of the increased mortality.

They also examined several other possible explanations (including that non-intensivists were more likely to discharge patients to hospice or SNF; thus patients would not appear in the “hospital deaths” column), but found that none of them made the overall 40% higher chance of death vanish. If you’re an intensivist looking for any silver lining, the “harm” associated with intensivists was greatest in the least ill ICU patients, and appeared to lessen (but not evaporate) in the sickest quartile of patients. Boo-ya.

In a well-written accompanying editorial, Gordon Rubenfeld and Derek Angus, two of the world’s top ICU researchers, ponder the possible explanations for these stunning results. One, of course, is that the tools to measure, and thus adjust for, severity of illness are imperfect, and that some unmeasured variables (perhaps captured in “the eyeball test”) are associated with both intensivist involvement and mortality, at least in “choice” hospitals. Of course, there is no way to be sure about this without a randomized trial, which would be awfully hard to do (“Sir, you could be randomly assigned to an ICU either with or without experts. Please sign the consent form here.”). In fact, the Annals study could have only been done in the U.S., since virtually every other country’s hospitals are dominated by closed ICUs.

Supporting the “unmeasured confounders” hypothesis, Rubenfeld and Angus highlight the fact that virtually every prior study found that intensivists were beneficial. They also note that Levy and colleagues did not provide data supporting a plausible causal pathway for intensivist-related harm. In a way, they are arguing for a Bayesian approach to the interpretation of clinical research (a point made previously by Browner and Newman): the “pre-test probability” of intensivist benefit is so high (based on face validity and prior studies) that there is a pretty good chance that a single study showing harm is a “false positive.”

A bit haltingly, Rubenfeld and Angus go on to consider an alternative hypothesis: namely, that intensivists kill.
Although we believe that critical care physicians are trained and expertly skilled in the management of critically ill patients, perhaps some routine critical care practices and procedures may not be beneficial or cumulative use of more interventions may take a negative toll.
Although good on ‘em for raising this possibility, their heart isn’t really in it, quite understandably. After discussing various explanations for the Levy results, they conclude that this study is not enough to change practice or policy:
...until someone replicates Levy and colleagues’ results in another cohort and provides evidence for a mechanism by which intensivist-staffed ICUs increase mortality, their study will remain one observation against many.
I happen to agree – if I had a closed ICU that seemed to be working well, I wouldn’t throw open the glass doors tomorrow. And if I ran the Leapfrog Group, I would not take intensivist staffing off my list of evidence-based safety practices, at least not yet. But I would question my assumptions and use this study to motivate further inquiry into the best ways to organize an individual ICU, or all ICUs. As Levy and colleagues conclude…
Although all of the possible explanatory mechanisms we have mentioned [overly aggressive care, infections from indwelling catheters] may seem to portend badly for the practice of critical care medicine, we suggest that, if true, they are amenable to correction or mitigation through such efforts as guideline development and adherence, quality improvement, and systematic efforts to reduce errors. Given the complexity of critical illness, the need for dedicated critical care physicians seems inevitable, and strategies to assure best practices will help them to guarantee the best outcomes possible. Further research is needed to explain these findings and determine whether these results may be explained by unrecognized residual confounders of illness severity.
Seems right to me.

One postscript: though neither the study nor the editorial mention hospitalists, there are two hospitalist angles worthy of reflection. First, SHM surveys tell us that the vast majority of U.S. hospitalists do see ICU patients. Our ICUs at UCSF Medical Center fall into this category – we have a hybrid model in which our hospitalists remain the physicians-of-record for medical ICU patients, with mandatory intensivist consultation (the intensivists assuming the management of the ventilators, the lines, and the sedation). Over the past decade, I have been under intense pressure to “close the unit,” even though most of our hospitalists and intensivists think our present arrangement works quite well (and our model does pass Leapfrog muster for “high intensity intensivist involvement”). The Annals study reminds us that there is much that we do not understand about best practices in ICU organization, and that a model of open ICUs with selective use of intensivists might well prove to be as good as, or better than, the hermetically sealed ICU, with its forced ICU-floor discontinuity.

Secondly, the data from which the Annals study were derived came from Project IMPACT – a study begun by the Society of Critical Care Medicine (with pharma support) in 1996. Although SCCM can’t be thrilled that their database produced these results (you can be sure that the society’s PR firm received an emergency call from the SCCM CEO this week), the study highlights the power of and need for clinical research to answer important clinical and organizational questions. It also underlines the unique ability of medical societies to help organize multicenter studies whose fruits may be harvested over many years. The Society of Hospital Medicine can, and should, be in this business.