Open letter to new medical students in 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSammyU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember beginning medical school 10 years ago at LECOM Bradenton.

I have a few words of advice to those starting medical school this week or in the upcoming weeks. I enjoy sharing my experience and I hope you enjoy creating your own!

@@DoctorSammyU: http://t.co/DP4VhKCk72

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 20 users
Thanks, doc. Solid advice for incoming students.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey thank you for this it was a really good, and rather calming read for someone about to start orientation next week. Also now I'm craving pizzelles

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't want to click. Don't want to read about what med school was like 10 years ago. Definitely don't want to read what about what osteopathic school was like 10 years ago.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't usually jump outside of my home forum but I just have to say after reading this I am no surprised at all that it was written by a person who signs a blog post "Sam Urick III, D.O."... :rolleyes:

It was a good read though.

Don't want to click. Don't want to read about what med school was like 10 years ago. Definitely don't want to read what about what osteopathic school was like 10 years ago.
Why bc it was easier ten years ago?

I don't usually jump outside of my home forum but I just have to say after reading this I am no surprised at all that it was written by a person who signs a blog post "Sam Urick III, D.O."... :rolleyes:
If you were trying to label him as being a snob, you failed.

Why bc it was easier ten years ago?

Bc ten years ago the LCME wasn't smoking from the active learning, empathy, and obamacare peace pipe. Oh, and because FA was 100 pages shorter.

I am sorry you feel that way dyspareunia. I hope your experience in medical school is as great as mine was. Just remember to enjoy yourself. Your bold choice of a user name hopefully doesn't reflect in your personality...patients will pick up on that in an instant. I wish you well in your career and your studies.

Reactions: 7 users
Bc ten years ago the LCME wasn't smoking from the active learning, empathy, and obamacare peace pipe. Oh, and because FA was 100 pages shorter.
I'm pretty sure PBL and empathy were taught back in 2004. Obamacare not as much. FA has just gotten more comprehensive - speaks nothing to the actual test.

PBL and empathy were taught. My program was a PBL program actually. It was a good way to interact with classmates and which is why we all got along so well. I would have to say that for the most part, my classmates didn't have to be taught empathy, they were and still are genuinely good, down to earth people. There are some things that you cant teach, you can only learn from the book of life,as my PCP Dr.Philbin taught us during residency.

I am sorry you feel that way dyspareunia. I hope your experience in medical school is as great as mine was. Just remember to enjoy yourself. Your bold choice of a user name hopefully doesn't reflect in your personality...patients will pick up on that in an instant. I wish you well in your career and your studies.

Med school has been enjoyable so far. It doesn't reflect my personality, but it does my belief that great and enjoyable things can be so close yet so far away.

PBL and empathy were taught. My program was a PBL program actually. It was a good way to interact with classmates and which is why we all got along so well. I would have to say that for the most part, my classmates didn't have to be taught empathy, they were and still are genuinely good, down to earth people. There are some things that you cant teach, you can only learn from the book of life,as my PCP Dr.Philbin taught us during residency.
Nice to see you came out well in 1 piece. Med school can be quite the roller coaster for a lot of people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med school was the enjoyable part. Its nice that I was able to train with some of the same people to whom I refer my patients. Also, its interesting when a former attending chooses you to be their doctor....its something I would not have imagined 10 years ago.
Do I miss finishing exams during first and 2nd year and heading over to TGIFridays with my classmates to celebrate from 2pm until, well, usually 6 or 7pm because we were so exhausted ? I actually do. We had a lot of fun. Do I miss Guyton, Bates, etc? Not so much. Medicine gets complicated, usually from all of the bureaucracy and insurance debacle we are going through in this country right now. Thats why I miss med school - didnt have to worry about it. Just enjoyed learning something that I always wanted to learn.

Nice to see you came out well in 1 piece. Med school can be quite the roller coaster for a lot of people.
It was a roller coaster but well worth the ride. It was nice to not have to worry about health insurance, obamacare, how to bill and code, etc. We were just learning something that we all wanted to learn - medicine. The challenge is applying the knowledge. I realized in med school that anyone can memorize facts, but not everyone will be good at putting it to use in the real world.

Dammit...who cut the onions?!

This was surprisingly relevant even though I'm just starting 3rd year. I hope that I'll always continue to work on my people skills and bedside manner because in the end, that's a lot of what the patient will remember. A smile and a greeting will go a long way.

It was a roller coaster but well worth the ride. It was nice to not have to worry about health insurance, obamacare, how to bill and code, etc. We were just learning something that we all wanted to learn - medicine. The challenge is applying the knowledge. I realized in med school that anyone can memorize facts, but not everyone will be good at putting it to use in the real world.
Very true. Multiple choice exams aren't a good proxy for MS-3 clerkship performance.

hell ya, time to read the blog of a random internal med dude that attended a school with a 23 mcat average!!!

hell ya, time to read the blog of a random internal med dude that attended a school with a 23 mcat average!!!
Yet he has accomplished more than you have by graduating med school, going to Internal Medicine residency at Pitt (yes, that one), and practicing. 0/10 for that trolling performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
The random internal med dude has a 10 year head start on saving lives, paying down my debt, and has patients baking him cookies. I'd have to say I'm pretty happy where I am. MCAT scores? Im proudy board certified in Internal Medicine by both the ABIM and AOBIM. But my experience in the real world mean more to me than those board certifications. They are pieces of paper. The names on my charts are real people, who I am blessed come to see me. Patients don't need us, we need them.

I just wanted to share my experience... and wish everyone well as the enter this field. No offense taken if you didnt want to read my blog. I know how nervous I was as I started, and as a physician, I took an oath to "pay it forward" to the next generation. You too will hopefully take that oath at the end of 4 years. Good luck in your studies.

Reactions: 14 users
The random internal med dude has a 10 year head start on saving lives, paying down my debt, and has patients baking him cookies. I'd have to say I'm pretty happy where I am. MCAT scores? Im proudy board certified in Internal Medicine by both the ABIM and AOBIM. But my experience in the real world mean more to me than those board certifications. They are pieces of paper. The names on my charts are real people, who I am blessed come to see me. Patients don't need us, we need them.

I just wanted to share my experience... and wish everyone well as the enter this field. No offense taken if you didnt want to read my blog. I know how nervous I was as I started, and as a physician, I took an oath to "pay it forward" to the next generation. You too will hopefully take that oath at the end of 4 years. Good luck in your studies.
Proof that an MCAT score is a silly metric which many misguided people put their whole self-esteem into as far as how good of a doctor they will be. So short sighted. Your blog posts awesome and very introspective. Thanks!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey thank you for this it was a really good, and rather calming read for someone about to start orientation next week. Also now I'm craving pizzelles
Pizzelles are great. I have a geriatric population that loves to bake. Having a pregnant wife at home has only made my cravings for sweets worse!! I wish you all the best. Have fun! The first two years of medical school were two of the best years of my life. Met some of my best friends there. Would't trade it for the world!!

jesus, so much hate in this forum, it really is quite offputting.

I really enjoyed your letter, and I think you're a great writer. Reading it makes me wish I shared some of your memories of med school. Thank you for your post and stay humble.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't ever post in the allopathic forums, but wanted to take the time to write and say thank you for your advice!!! I shared your letter with a friend of mine starting medical school this fall and she absolutely loved it!!! Thanks for writing and sharing it! :)

I am going to be a dental school student but just happened to read this post out of curiosity. So many bitter people/trolls on this thread, karma is going to bite them back when they don't get the specialty/residency they desired or when they get a nasty divorce.

Medical school is obviously a different beast from dental school, but really enjoyed your advice in the letter Dr. Sammy. Wish you the best in your future endeavors, don't listen to these trolls, it's an internet forum. In my old hood you would get beat for talking trash like that in person.

Last edited:

Internal med saves lives? Plus cookies? :soexcited: Truth is, If I said internal med saves lives on this forum id get laughed at.

Someone is a bad mood bear......

Thanks for your insight! Enjoyed reading.

Internal med saves lives? Plus cookies? :soexcited: Truth is, If I said internal med saves lives on this forum id get laughed at.

You only get laughed at because you've been in medical school for a week and are extremely negative and opinionated.

@DoctorSammyU - thank you for your contribution. Much appreciated.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks Doc. Your essay is bookmarked. I hope I can hope out of medical school with a unit of friends like you have. The picture was touching.

Thank you all for your positive feedback. EM2018 - ER interns were paired up with us during residency during their ICU month, under our supervision. I have placed many central lines, Intubated, and run many codes. What you will come to learn with time and maturity is that saving a life doesn't have to be as heroic as it appears on television dramas. Look into the issue a bit deeper. Sometimes elderly people need to be told it's ok to let go and die, sometimes you help someone through drug and alcohol rehab. Helping another doesn't mean doing compressions or yelling "more Epi". Look beyond your understanding of saving a life.

And sometimes when you are stressed as I am now expecting my wife to deliver my daughter in the next 20 days, and an older woman brings you cookies and reminds you why you are glad you chose medicine, they help save you a little bit. There is so much about medicine that you will not understand until you see it in action and not merely ready about it in a text book or fantasize about what you see in a drama series. I wish you the best and hope that you keep an open mind during your training.

And if you should be accepted into an ER residency, the nurses will be the ones saving you and helping you to save a life. And they are among the smartest, hard working men and women I have worked with in medicine.
They sense a bit of arrogance or hubris, they are very candid and blunt. They will not tolerate anyone who isn't a team player. Good luck and enjoy the next 4 years!

Reactions: 4 users
now i feel i didnt invest enough at my local coffee shop :(

Very inspirational, thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope I come through this process as positive as you seem to be.

Very inspirational, thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope I come through this process as positive as you seem to be.

I can tell you that being positive is not an easy thing. THere are days like today for example where all of my morning patients were compliant, pleasant and I had enjoyable conversations. I shall see what the afternoon brings. There are days when I still think "Why did I do this?" or "I definitely don't want to do this anymore, I need a career change". It seems like at those moments that something positive happens. My positive moment the other day was that older woman bringing me pizzelles. That day was a day I didn't want to do this anymore, but seeing pics of people starting med school, getting baked goods from an appreciative patient made all the difference for me that day.

So, keep your head up and looking forward!

With med school starting for me in a few weeks, definitely a good motivational piece! By the way, I had never heard of pizelles so I had to google it haha

Proof that an MCAT score is a silly metric which many misguided people put their whole self-esteem into as far as how good of a doctor they will be. So short sighted. Your blog posts awesome and very introspective. Thanks!
Why MCAT is part of this discussion? Where did OP mention his MCAT score? I don't think I will remember my MCAT score 8 years from now...

Why MCAT is part of this discussion? Where did OP mention his MCAT score? I don't think I will remember my MCAT score 8 years from now...
I'm more referring to the comment made above: "hell ya, time to read the blog of a random internal med dude that attended a school with a 23 mcat average!!!"

I can tell you that being positive is not an easy thing. THere are days like today for example where all of my morning patients were compliant, pleasant and I had enjoyable conversations. I shall see what the afternoon brings. There are days when I still think "Why did I do this?" or "I definitely don't want to do this anymore, I need a career change". It seems like at those moments that something positive happens. My positive moment the other day was that older woman bringing me pizzelles. That day was a day I didn't want to do this anymore, but seeing pics of people starting med school, getting baked goods from an appreciative patient made all the difference for me that day.

So, keep your head up and looking forward!

This is lovely, but I find medical school much more fun as a cynical and caustic person. One size absolutely does not fit all, so do what you have to do to stay sane and enjoy yourself.

This is lovely, but I find medical school much more fun as a cynical and caustic person. One size absolutely does not fit all, so do what you have to do to stay sane and enjoy yourself.
Except for many people cynicism and being caustic is more destructive esp. in med education when you go thru premed --> med school --> residency, etc. where it feels like it never ends. Why do you think physician suicide rate is so high?

Except for many people cynicism and being caustic is more destructive esp. in med education when you go thru premed --> med school --> residency, etc. where it feels like it never ends. Why do you think physician suicide rate is so high?
I don't agree with you. Cynicism can be used as a coping mechanism akin to the OPs laughing just not to cry. I suppose you can say that expecting the worse does nothing to change how you feel about crappy outcomes when it actually happens- so might as well be optimistic. But, for some, looking though rose colored glasses isn't what we do at default. So, if you postulate that medicine can change you, then going in as a cynic can only change you for the better.

I don't agree with you. Cynicism can be used as a coping mechanism akin to the OPs laughing just not to cry. I suppose you can say that expecting the worse does nothing to change how you feel about crappy outcomes when it actually happens- so might as well be optimistic. But, for some, looking though rose colored glasses isn't what we do at default. So, if you postulate that medicine can change you, then going in as a cynic can only change you for the better.
Going in with cynicism is different than going in with a realistic viewpoint. No one is advocating going in with rose-colored glasses. Medicine DOES change you, but if you already start out as a cynic, you'll only become more cynical.

Going in with cynicism is different than going in with a realistic viewpoint. No one is advocating going in with rose-colored glasses. Medicine DOES change you, but if you already start out as a cynic, you'll only become more cynical.

It's unrealistic to think that someone can "breathe medicine", as the OP puts it. What he describes comes with the territory. There's nothing inherently special about the people doing it. It is a profession. Sure it has it's special circumstances, but it is a job at the end of the day. I'd argue that medicine will produce behavioral changes in individuals, per empathy and professionalism, but it will not change someone's character.

It's unrealistic to think that someone can "breathe medicine", as the OP puts it. What he describes comes with the territory. There's nothing inherently special about the people doing it. It is a profession. Sure it has it's special circumstances, but it is a job at the end of the day. I'd argue that medicine will produce behavioral changes in individuals, per empathy and professionalism, but it will not change someone's character.
Sorry, not true. With "professionalism" being pounded into medical students, the underlying them is that by definition it's not "just a job". Just ask Case Western and their attempt to rescind their MD degree from a student who wasn't meeting "professionalism" standards.

Sorry, not true. With "professionalism" being pounded into medical students, the underlying them is that by definition it's not "just a job". Just ask Case Western and their attempt to rescind their MD degree from a student who wasn't meeting "professionalism" standards.
Are you kidding me? You can lose any job by being unprofessional. Just ask, hmmm I don't know...the entire US workforce. Anyway I have to go back to studying anatomy before I inadvertently kill someone's grandma in 10 years.

Are you kidding me? You can lose any job by being unprofessional. Just ask, hmmm I don't know...the entire US workforce.
I'm not talking about only workplace behavior. Very few specialties in Medicine have a clock-in, clock-out behavior mentality - that's part of professionalism - staying longer without being asked. You'll get a whole lecture about medicine being not being "just a job" when you start.