Open Pgyii Pm&r Spot Starting July 2006 At U. Of Michigan!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are no longer seeking applicants. Thank you for your interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Ligament said:
Fellows,

There is an unexpected house officer opening at the University of Michigan department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. This is a PGYII position to start July 2006. Therefore if you are currently a PGYI at an internship or residency and are looking for a residency, here is your chance.

This is a great residency that may be the best in the country in conservative AND interventional spine care (you will do LOTS of interventional spine injections as a resident, with all interventional attendings being board certified in pain). Outstanding training in MSK medicine, and electrodiagnostics (ALL EMG attendings board certified by the AAEM). The inpatient rehab training is solid as well.

Contact residency coordinator Tammie Wiley-Rice at [email protected] or call her 734 936 7201. You MUST tell her you heard about this on Studentdoctor.net and her favorite senior resident sent you.

Good Luck.

How did this position come about? Did someone drop out or did they not fill it through the match last year?

TreeOfLife said:
How did this position come about? Did someone drop out or did they not fill it through the match last year?

It was because the candidate had family concerns. However, it sounds like there are already replacements in the works. :)

PS Where you at Ligament? Saw you posted at the same time

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally M3 said:
It was because the candidate had family concerns. However, it sounds like there are already replacements in the works. :)

PS Where you at Ligament? Saw you posted at the same time

What kind of replacement plans are in the works, if you can say. Will they be filling the spot with someone internally, maybe from another specialty at UMich? Or are they interviewing other candidates for the spot?

To translate for Finally M3: "replacement plans in the works" = we are interviewing candidates.

I know we are interviewing outside candidates. I don't know if any inside candidates have applied.

TreeOfLife said:
What kind of replacement plans are in the works, if you can say. Will they be filling the spot with someone internally, maybe from another specialty at UMich? Or are they interviewing other candidates for the spot?

From what I hear, I may be forced to apply for the open PGY2 spot. Something about remediation, incompetence, stuff like that ;)

Finally M3 said:
From what I hear, I may be forced to apply for the open PGY2 spot. Something about remediation, incompetence, stuff like that ;)

Hmmn...then I guess there would be a PGY3 spot available? :rolleyes: :laugh:

Ligament said:
Fellows,

There is an unexpected house officer opening at the University of Michigan department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Our candidate had to back out from UofM due to family reasons.

This is a PGYII position to start July 2006. This position is open to applicants who will have their PGY-1 year completed at an accredited ACGME training program by 2006 July 1. Therefore if you are currently a PGYI at an internship or residency and are looking for a PM&R residency, here is your chance.

This is a great residency that may be the best in the country in conservative AND interventional spine care (you will do LOTS of interventional spine injections as a resident, with all interventional attendings being board certified in pain). Outstanding training in MSK medicine, and electrodiagnostics (ALL EMG attendings board certified by the AAEM). The inpatient rehab training is solid as well.

Contact residency coordinator Tammie Wiley-Rice at [email protected] or call her 734 936 7201. You MUST tell her you heard about this on Studentdoctor.net and her favorite senior resident sent you.

Good Luck.

Sounds like a great program - especially since my interest is MSK.

Quick question though, since I am not familiar with home call - is that done from home and you come in if needed, handled by phone, etc...

Also, salary seems very good, are living expenses high? - what is typical rent. Am in Ohio now, things are pretty reasonable here.

barley said:
Sounds like a great program - especially since my interest is MSK.

Quick question though, since I am not familiar with home call - is that done from home and you come in if needed, handled by phone, etc...

Also, salary seems very good, are living expenses high? - what is typical rent. Am in Ohio now, things are pretty reasonable here.

You are correct re: call. Quite easy. I never slept less than 8hrs while on call.

Living expenses are high for a midwestern city. But the salary is still better than average even considering the living costs. Strong resident union here, we get a nice bonus every december. Typical 1 bedroom rent is $800-900. Two bedroom 900-1200 but that is downtown ann arbor. You could live 15-20 min from the hospital for much less.

If someone interviews outside of the match for an open position, what is the standard for following up post-interview? Would you just send a thank you card and wait? Would you send a thank you card and call them (if so, how long would you wait to call them)? Would you just wait on them to call you?

It depends on how much you want the position. If you want it badly, I would send a card and call. The call should hopefully be for something that they will peak their interest (try to decide what the resident program director would be interested in, which is probably more related to being a well rounded academic physiatrist, not a budding pain doc/injection jock).
A card and calling may or may not help, but can't hurt.
No card/not calling will definitely not help and may possibly hurt.
Again, it depends on how much you want the position.
Good Luck.

Ligament said:
We are no longer seeking applicants. Thank you for your interest.

Do you know for sure whether this spot has been filled? Or have they simply just finished interviewing for it?