Open positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehab_dr

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi forum
So I am desperately trying to find a PGY-3 position for next year as I have a spouse that's relocated for work to a different part of the country. I interviewed for one position but then the program decided that there were issues with the position and put it on hold, and then I interviewed for another position but I was told that they are not making a decision any time soon.

Anyone know if there is any open position at the PGY-3 level?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi forum
So I am desperately trying to find a PGY-3 position for next year as I have a spouse that's relocated for work to a different part of the country. I interviewed for one position but then the program decided that there were issues with the position and put it on hold, and then I interviewed for another position but I was told that they are not making a decision any time soon.

Anyone know if there is any open position at the PGY-3 level?

I would email/call PCs of the region you are looking. You could also look at residency swap.

I imagine you are looking for a miracle. PGY-3 openings are probably hard to come by.

I would email/call PCs of the region you are looking. You could also look at residency swap.

I imagine you are looking for a miracle. PGY-3 openings are probably hard to come by.
There were 2 positions open late last year, one was not geographically appropriate and the other one I interviewed for. Obviously once that position is filled whether by me or someone else there should be another PGY-3 position open elsewhere that that person is leaving so I'm hoping still.
So frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
why not stay where you are- one yr can be bad to just finish off. I imagine super difficult to align in the city of your spouses move granted there is a program in that city.

why not stay where you are- one yr can be bad to just finish off. I imagine super difficult to align in the city of your spouses move granted there is a program in that city.

The OP is a PGY-2...so that would mean being geographically separated for 2+ years. That's rough. I've done it...but it takes a special type of relationship to withstand that. I don't blame the OP in the least for trying to have it both ways. I highly advise marriage counseling. Even strong marriages should go to marriage counseling, especially when there are life changing decisions at stake. Pride will strangle the life out of a relationship between two professionals. Sometimes an impartial mediator can help significantly to remove pride from the equation.

I normally would, but I'm a PGY2 so that's over 2 years which is very difficult. Normally if I was just in my last year I would tough it out but unfortunately this is more difficult.

2 yrs is different, I thought rehab DR was looking for a ASAP transfer for this year as PGY3.
Is your spouse's job a position that will be long term and stable for years to come and then you have to ask yourself the next question what would be the plan if you plan on a fellowship, or chances of match in that location and if you are going to join your spouse in that location, what are the opportunities for a follow on job for yourself if this position is more critical than yours? I have been apart from my spouse during various parts of my training and made it work, no counseling as suggested above. It can be done with a goal in sight. It is is important to know each other well and should work out in the end.

2 yrs is different, I thought rehab DR was looking for a ASAP transfer for this year as PGY3.
Is your spouse's job a position that will be long term and stable for years to come and then you have to ask yourself the next question what would be the plan if you plan on a fellowship, or chances of match in that location and if you are going to join your spouse in that location, what are the opportunities for a follow on job for yourself if this position is more critical than yours? I have been apart from my spouse during various parts of my training and made it work, no counseling as suggested above. It can be done with a goal in sight. It is is important to know each other well and should work out in the end.

His position is secure and long term yes, in a prominent bank/finance institution in NY.

His position is secure and long term yes, in a prominent bank/finance institution in NY.

I'm going to make the assumption that the situation is non-negotiable for your husband. Tough situation. Unless you can transfer, someone is going to have to make significant sacrifices. Stay strong as a family, communicate, and refuse to have resentment and you'll be fine regardless of what happens. Prayers sent your way.