Open University of Informal/Formal Postbacc program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulKu34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a postbacc student and need to improve my gpa. which is better? taking a year or two as open univesrity student or doing a 2nd bachelor or masters?

I've graduated 2 years from chapman and had been working since. I graduated with a bio major tho. Can any of you guys give me some advices?

Also, even though i graduated with a ba in biology....do schools (i.e. cs los angeles or ucla) allow you to get a 2nd degree (ex. microbiology) at their institution? So, would i be able to transfer the bio credits i took at my 1st school and transfer to the school im doing postbacc in?

i hope ya'll can help me out. thanks a bunch

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA does not award 2nd bachelor's degrees except in nursing. Some CSU's do - like LA and Long Beach. You'll have to provide them a description of the courses you took in Chapman so that they can verify whether those are equivalent to their own courses. Keep in mind, though, that on top of major requirements, you'll also have to fulfill CSU GE requirements before you graduate. I'm not familiar with Chapman's GE curriculum, but if it doesn't match that of the CSU's, completing GE's might cause you some delay.

Do you really need that second undergrad degree? Because if it won't help you down the road career-wise, I don't think it's worth the trouble. You might want to do a postbacc program instead (be it through Open University or a certificate program) - it will help you raise your GPA, and you won't be forced to take classes you don't need.

Hope this helps. Good luck!