Opening an Urgent Care

Started by NRAI2001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, been doing primary care at a FQHC for about 7 years now. I do a ton of procedures daily in addition to seeing many primary care and urgent care like visits.

Recently been interested in opening an Urgent care with a buddy of mine. Any experiences or opinions on this? Any tips or things to look into for this? I am in California for reference.

Thank you guys
 
Hey guys, been doing primary care at a FQHC for about 7 years now. I do a ton of procedures daily in addition to seeing many primary care and urgent care like visits.

Recently been interested in opening an Urgent care with a buddy of mine. Any experiences or opinions on this? Any tips or things to look into for this? I am in California for reference.

Thank you guys

Once I looked into this. I don't think it's worth it if you're doing it by yourself. You'll need a $3-5 million dollar business loan, employees, all sorts of insurance, EMR . . . in the end you take home a salary of what, $500K/yr? (assuming you're responsible there . . .yes business owners can inflate their own salaries, but this is usually at the cost of the business). You can probably achieve the same working for an established company.

Now, if you do it with a few partners, so you can split the cost . . .that might be more lucrative.
 
Once I looked into this. I don't think it's worth it if you're doing it by yourself. You'll need a $3-5 million dollar business loan, employees, all sorts of insurance, EMR . . . in the end you take home a salary of what, $500K/yr? (assuming you're responsible there . . .yes business owners can inflate their own salaries, but this is usually at the cost of the business). You can probably achieve the same working for an established company.

Now, if you do it with a few partners, so you can split the cost . . .that might be more lucrative.

Also, the urgent care market is fairly saturated in most locales. It’s also increasingly dominated by hospital systems opening their own urgent cares.

My understanding is that relatively few areas have a good market for an urgent care at this point.