Ophthalmologist Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nir1009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before all of you jump on me.....I know this is the wrong question to ask but it is still a factor when it comes to choosing a specialty.

I've heard a lot of numbers thrown around about how much ophthalmologists make (im thinking somewhere around 200k from what I've heard).

Can anyone share some info on this....seems like 200K/year is a bit lower than what I was expecting.

Btw I know there are a few links in the FAQ but I would rather hear it from someone that is actually practicing or knows people that are.

Members don't see this ad.

Sigh.....

This topic has been beaten to death. Please do a search.
:rolleyes:

The salary of ophtho is hugely variable based on where you live. I live on the West, you won't make as much cash out here as you will in the midwest or the south. I live in a fun city with a pop of about 2 million and a lot to do and the starting salary for general ophtho here is about 180. Move to the midwest maybe it is 250. I have heard really low figures (<100K) for cities people really want to live like San Diego. Hope this helps. Basically if you want to live in a really big city sometimes primary care will even beat out ophtho you move to the middle of nowhere and you will do quite well, though. I hate being in the middle of nowhere, so I have basically resigned to taking a hit in pay. darn...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of real live people and names (not just rumor of "some guy in that state") making $65,000/year and another $1.1M. I've seen figures with the 99th percentile ophthamologist makes $441,000 (so the one who makes $1M is far smaller than 1%).

I've heard of a lawyer (specific firm in mind) that makes $2.35M/year plus bonus. I've read about a lawyer who made $90M one year, I think from tobacco lawsuits.

If you are good at doing things, ophthalmology is clear not the money making winner. The top earner in other fields beats the top earner in ophthalmology by a wide margin.

Thanks for the post medstud I think that shed some light on the topic.