Ophthalmologists and glasses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residency1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that many ophthalmologists don't wear glasses. Is it generally frowned upon if an ophthalmologist/ ophtho resident wears glasses? Is it more difficult to do surgeries/refractions? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Weird. A very large portion of the faculty and residents at my home department wear glasses.

I always thought it was because no one wants to chance the minimal, but very real, risks of refractive surgery.

Weird. A very large portion of the faculty and residents at my home department wear glasses.

I always thought it was because no one wants to chance the minimal, but very real, risks of refractive surgery.

That's why one (non-ophthalmology) surgeon told me he didnt want LASIK.

Also, and this is purely a guess on my part, I think our generation has more myopic people who have to wear glasses (just an observation). I'm guessing it's because of all the amazeballs technology we grew up with, but again I could be wrong. Most of my profs wear reading glasses though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the refractive surgeons I know have gotten LASIK or PRK themselves.

Most of the refractive surgeons I know have gotten LASIK or PRK themselves.

The refractive surgeons I know all have gotten refractive surgery as well. They all love it. I suppose they wouldn't be doing it on other people if they felt like the risks were too great.

I love my glasses. Have worn them since I was 6 years old and it's part of the reason I got into ophthalmology in the first place. I wouldn't get LASIK due to the infinitely small risk of a complication. In my case, if I don't have excellent vision and steropsis, I can't operate, and that is a career ender. I also have horrible dry eye and am sure LASIK would make this significantly worse. I like the eye protection they offer me in the OR and outdoors. Lastly, my degree of myopia is mild and I look forward to having near vision without the need for reading glasses well into my 50-60's, something I would lose if I had LASIK.

I agree with all of you. I love my glasses, and I intend to wear them. I just noticed that many residents and attendings seem to not wear them, which is why I asked the question.

Yup, my prescription isn't that strong, but my stereopsis is better with my glasses :)

Strange. My experience has been the opposite. Almost every ophthalmologist / optometrist i know wears corrective lenses and I've only met one person who had refractive surgery (prior to medical school).

Almost every ophthalmologist / optometrist i know wears corrective lenses and I've only met one person who had refractive surgery (prior to medical school).[/QUOTE]

Almost all wear glasses for risks stated above.

Also, and this is purely a guess on my part, I think our generation has more myopic people who have to wear glasses (just an observation). I'm guessing it's because of all the amazeballs technology we grew up with, but again I could be wrong. Most of my profs wear reading glasses though.
I would attribute it to better diagnosis, availability of cheap(ish) and easily accessable refractive services, and the requirement to read things 24/7 for each and every task in our daily lives.