Ophthalmology advice for M3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cauchy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you able to take a month elective at another institution sometime in M3 or early M4 (April or May before application season). I’d go to an institution that publishes a lot, find a mentor, and work with him to publish as much as you can during that month.

Continue working with the PI that you published with originally. Make publishing the number one priority. In my humble opinion, the number of ophtho pubs + strong ophtho letters (which you will get if you work hard and publish with your mentor) > > third year grades (try your best to HP or H, esp IM, surgery, and ophtho). If you can get 4 or 5 + ophtho pubs by the time you apply, you’ll be in amazing shape!

You are already competitive and will match somewhere. This is to take you to the next level and maybe give you a chance at some top programs like Wilmer, Iowa, Wills, Bascom, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck mate!

Thanks for the information! I don't have any available time for electives at outside institutions during M3 year, but am planning on doing 3-4 aways as early as possible during M4 year. With regard to choosing institutions to rotate at, is there a resource you would recommend that has solid information on residency programs? Looking online, I have seen several rankings, as well as information posted here on SDN or reddit, but would appreciate any other recommendations.

As far as finding research opportunities at away institutions, is the protocol basically similar to home institutions in that I reach out to faculty and ask about available projects? Is this something that should be done ahead of time, or during the rotation when I have had a chance to make a (hopefully good) impression?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good questions. I would gander at the Iowa Guide to Match and also check out the excel spreadsheet made available last year for matched applicants. It has solid information about programs and some specifics for away rotations for several programs. Rankings can be found on Doximity and Ophthalmology Times, as I'm sure you’ve already seen (usually some form of Bascom/Wilmer/Iowa/Wills).

If I were you, instead of doing 3-4 clinical away rotations where you are basically shadowing a different attending everyday (kind of useless in my opinion although some away rotations let you work up a patient on your own like Emory and Colorado), I would make 1 or 2 of these purely research aways. Try to make them early as possible so you can have your manuscript accepted by the time you apply in August. I would start reaching out to mentors, particularly for these research aways, as soon as possible. With regards to clinical aways, you can reach out to residents or faculty when you’re there and ask if there are any interesting cases that need to be written up. This by no means is necessary or expected but just if you want to. I would certainly try to meet with the PD or Chair at least once during your aways to showcase your interest and to just get to know them and vice versa.

Let me know any other questions! Happy to help! Cheers!

Attractiveness May Help Applicants Land Residency Interviews

Sad fact of life.

Besides doing research, rotations, and getting good grades and scores, also consider
women: wear lots of make up
men: put thick insoles in your shoes to seem taller
both: lose weight

Good questions. I would gander at the Iowa Guide to Match and also check out the excel spreadsheet made available last year for matched applicants. It has solid information about programs and some specifics for away rotations for several programs. Rankings can be found on Doximity and Ophthalmology Times, as I'm sure you’ve already seen (usually some form of Bascom/Wilmer/Iowa/Wills).

If I were you, instead of doing 3-4 clinical away rotations where you are basically shadowing a different attending everyday (kind of useless in my opinion although some away rotations let you work up a patient on your own like Emory and Colorado), I would make 1 or 2 of these purely research aways. Try to make them early as possible so you can have your manuscript accepted by the time you apply in August. I would start reaching out to mentors, particularly for these research aways, as soon as possible. With regards to clinical aways, you can reach out to residents or faculty when you’re there and ask if there are any interesting cases that need to be written up. This by no means is necessary or expected but just if you want to. I would certainly try to meet with the PD or Chair at least once during your aways to showcase your interest and to just get to know them and vice versa.

Let me know any other questions! Happy to help! Cheers!

Great! I'll take a look at those resources and maybe set up a meeting with the ophthalmology department at my school to see if they have any connections with other programs in the area.

I wasn't aware that research electives were an option, so that's definitely something I will look into. Thanks again for the information, it was very helpful!

Attractiveness May Help Applicants Land Residency Interviews

Sad fact of life.

Besides doing research, rotations, and getting good grades and scores, also consider
women: wear lots of make up
men: put thick insoles in your shoes to seem taller
both: lose weight

I've gotten enough compliments in my life to hope that this phenomenon will work out in my favor. Fingers crossed and I'll make sure to have a fresh haircut at least.

Reactions: 1 user