Ophthalmology Compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack Marcos

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

was looking at compensation statistics randomly and saw Ophthalmology compensation is the highest average out of all specialties in Canada. In fact it’s not even close, ophthalmology has an average of 791k with the next closest being CT surgery at under 600k I was wondering why that is? Is it due to private practice lasik practices or just because they have a large number of procedures?

Members don't see this ad.

The old law of supply and demand.., training spots are fixed and competitive..
Not long time ago, Canadian Ophthalmologists were flocking south.., the pendulum swung back again..!
Ophthalmology procedures are diverse highly technical and has the highest reimbursement per minute in OR time despite recent long downward trend..!

Reactions: 2 users
Surprised to see compensations across the board are pretty damn similar in Canada to the ones in the USA, despite universal healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprised to see compensations across the board are pretty damn similar in Canada to the ones in the USA, despite universal healthcare.

My Canadian physician friend believes the similar compensation is to stop physicians from migrating to the US for higher wages.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t forget to convert to US dollar which takes 25% off all the salaries

bc that poutine is bad for the eyes

Don't forget the taxes. Friend was telling me how Ophtho in Canada had some loophole compared to the other fields that allowed them to make much more money than other specialties.

But yes, the only reason Canadian doctors are paid well, is because American ones are paid even better.

Don't forget the taxes. Friend was telling me how Ophtho in Canada had some loophole compared to the other fields that allowed them to make much more money than other specialties.

But yes, the only reason Canadian doctors are paid well, is because American ones are paid even better.
Not all doctors are paid very well in Canada..
Neurosurgery is suffering these current days due to rationing care and costs.., while it’s still on top of the ladder in US !!

Yes Ophthalmology has lots to offer their patients in terms of premium options that is traditionally fee for service type and not covered by any health insurance.., similar to Plastic surgery!