Ophthalmology Conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ping1050

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PGY1 currently in my intern year.

We get a 5 day optional vacation for a conference during our PGY1 year.

Since I'll be doing ophtho, I figured I'd try to find an ophthalmology-related conference to attend. Haven't had any luck so far.

Does anyone know of any conferences, or a schedule of events, (preferably with discounts for residents)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well the staples are ARVO (arvo.org) and AAO (aao.org). There are other smaller regional ones, like in Hawaii, or the CME ones at institutions. One upcoming, educational thing I would look at are Steve Foster's Physician Education Conferences. So far I think he's held 3 or 4. more info on his website uveitis.org with speakers and topics, typically in the fall October sometime I think.
You can also go to the OSN or Ophth. Times websites for listings.
Hope this helps....

PGY1 currently in my intern year.

We get a 5 day optional vacation for a conference during our PGY1 year.

Since I'll be doing ophtho, I figured I'd try to find an ophthalmology-related conference to attend. Haven't had any luck so far.

Does anyone know of any conferences, or a schedule of events, (preferably with discounts for residents)?

Thanks

AAO is in the fall, this year in Chicago in October.

ARVO is usually in the late spring, in Ft. Lauderdale.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another big meeting is ASCRS which is in May next year in San Diego

For anyone interested in ARVO if you haven't heard they are only going to be in Fort Lauderdale 1 or 2 more years then they are moving around like the other meetings, Denver, Seattle I think are some of the scheduled places so far. I wonder if it will be as popular still??

For anyone interested in ARVO if you haven't heard they are only going to be in Fort Lauderdale 1 or 2 more years then they are moving around like the other meetings, Denver, Seattle I think are some of the scheduled places so far. I wonder if it will be as popular still??

I'll bet that will actually help ARVO attendance. Going to that same old place every year...ugh.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but do you have to submit an abstract to most of these meetings in order to attend, or can anyone just go? Also, do these conferences have opportunities for med students to do poster presentations?

Med students can certainly do poster presentations! I did last year and definitely recommend it. The submission deadline is usually in the beginning of December (unless you do the "late breaking abstract" option) You can also ask your student affairs office if they can help cover travel costs, most programs pay for at least the airfare and a night in a hotel. As for attending the conference without an abstract, I am not sure. For ARVO it seems like people do. Maybe you can check the website?

You can definitely attend without a poster or paper. There are medical student registration rates and if you are willing to drive a bit hotels can be found at good prices outside of Fort Lauderdale proper. ARVO is a pretty awesome event to attend, everyone walks around in sandles and shorts. AAO is more professional, suit and tie seem to be the norm. Other conferences include ASCRS and ASRS. Each of the major subspecialities in ophtho has their own conference, but for med students I would start with ARVO then AAO and go from there.

Are there any conferences that don't interfere with med school classes? It seems like most of the ones listed fall during the semester or close to exams. Are there any in June, July, early August, or late December?

Are there any conferences that don't interfere with med school classes? It seems like most of the ones listed fall during the semester or close to exams. Are there any in June, July, early August, or late December?

Not that I can think of, off the top of my head. Those are high vacation times. Conference attendance would suffer.

Kiawah eye meeting is in late May-early June - but it is a small conference.