Ophthalmology match 2017-18 Anxiety thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uknowyuno

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This application cycle is giving me legit panic attacks. Felt this kind of thread might be helpful for those of us who want to vent/scream/cry.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know what you're talking about. What is this 'anxiety' you speak of? /s

Many of us feel exactly the same way that you feel right now. The only advice I can give is stuff you already know: trust in the process and try to put things in perspective. You know how competitive you are for the field and made the decision to apply for a reason. Things overwhelmingly work out fine, but regardless of what happens this year you can still be an ophthalmologist it's just going to take resilience and dedication. In the grander scheme of things, an extra year for research or a prelim year isn't going to change your life trajectory at all and could be a positive thing in the long-term - in retrospect this is all going to seem ridiculous. Know yourself, keep your head up, and keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
where the spreadsheet at

Anyone else see the big red button that says ‘withdraw from match’ and get real scared. Insert picture of meme of dude not knowing which button to press.

Insert picture of meme of dude not knowing which button to press.

1dv09e.jpg

Do we find out whether we matched or not on 1/11? I know the match results are released to PDs on 1/11 and to applicants on 1/12, but it would be nice to know if I matched at all without anxiously waiting for the PD's call.

In years past you receive an email that morning with a yes/no of whether or not you matched. PDs then get their list later that day and the vast majority of them will call you. Medical schools also get the information of where their students matched the same time PDs do so if you don't get a call you could always ask your dean. Applicants then get told where they matched the next day.

Reactions: 1 users
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reactions: 3 users
Just asking, how early are unfilled positions posted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just asking, how early are unfilled positions posted?

From the SF match website- residency timetable tab:

Friday, January 12, 2018
  • Any vacancies which remain after the match will be announced on the Immediate Vacancies page. The list is subject to change and we do our best to only post and process requests to forward applications to active vacancies.
    Contact programs directly or use the provided form on this page to have your completed CAS file sent. Programs are responsible for contacting the SF Match to remove a vacancy once filled.

Good luck to everyone matching this year! I remember how anxious I felt beforehand last year. Best of luck to all!

“We find out Friday where we match. PD at my home institution relayed that all PDs have agreed to not call on thursday this year and let everyone find out on Friday”

Just saw this on the excel document. Anyone got any input on this?

“We find out Friday where we match. PD at my home institution relayed that all PDs have agreed to not call on thursday this year and let everyone find out on Friday”

Just saw this on the excel document. Anyone got any input on this?
Would also love to know if anyone has any insider info from their home programs!

Do we also get the you matched/ did not match email on Friday?
I was under the impression it was Thursday...now I don't know anymore.

I do not know what to believe anymore.
was the Thursday email just folklore?
Must this be prolonged another day?!
"Just one more sleep!" they say!

Hi everyone:

Full disclosure: I'm a program coordinator who occasionally looks thru posts to see if there are questions I can answer generically from a program perspective and alleviate some of your anxiety.

Programs received an email from SF Match about a month ago to show the timeline of the match process. I'll copy the relevant info below. Our program director does call the matched applicants as soon as we're able to - we are not aware of any agreement among PD's to wait and let the students find out by email on Friday. Note all times are Pacific time zone. (FYI, program directors and coordinators get anxious waiting for the results, too!) Good luck to all!!

Thursday, January 11, 2018 Match Day
  • 4:00 AM PST – Applicants and Medical School Dean’s offices receive a YES/NO (MATCHED/UNMATCHED) Email informing them only of their Match Result status but NOT where they matched.
  • 5:00 AM PST – Programs receive a list of applicants with whom it matched via email.
  • 8:00 AM PST – Medical School Dean’s Offices access student match results online via the SF Match Medical School Portal. Additionally, they will receive an Email with this information.
Friday, January 12, 2018
  • 8:00 AM PST – Applicants’ results available online. Log in to the SF Match portal to view results.
  • 10:00 AM PST – SF Match will list program vacancies on our website unless otherwise requested by the respective unmatched program.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone:

Full disclosure: I'm a program coordinator who occasionally looks thru posts to see if there are questions I can answer generically from a program perspective and alleviate some of your anxiety.

Programs received an email from SF Match about a month ago to show the timeline of the match process. I'll copy the relevant info below. Our program director does call the matched applicants as soon as we're able to - we are not aware of any agreement among PD's to wait and let the students find out by email on Friday. Note all times are Pacific time zone. (FYI, program directors and coordinators get anxious waiting for the results, too!) Good luck to all!!

Thursday, January 11, 2018 Match Day
  • 4:00 AM PST – Applicants and Medical School Dean’s offices receive a YES/NO (MATCHED/UNMATCHED) Email informing them only of their Match Result status but NOT where they matched.
  • 5:00 AM PST – Programs receive a list of applicants with whom it matched via email.
  • 8:00 AM PST – Medical School Dean’s Offices access student match results online via the SF Match Medical School Portal. Additionally, they will receive an Email with this information.
Friday, January 12, 2018
  • 8:00 AM PST – Applicants’ results available online. Log in to the SF Match portal to view results.
  • 10:00 AM PST – SF Match will list program vacancies on our website unless otherwise requested by the respective unmatched program.

Wow. Thank you SO MUCH for this. Super helpful!

SDNers--I just wanted to inform you all of a new fellowship position being offered to medical students or MDs. Be sure to check this one out (especially for those of you who didn't match this time around or have a gap year).

Pre-Residency Fellowship at Pacific Clear Vision Institute

Dr. Bala Ambati, is interested in recruiting a medical student or MD interested in a future career in ophthalmology for a 1 year fellowship with a 60% clinical, 40% research experience. Clinically, the fellow would be in clinic (cornea/refractive, cataract, plastics, retina, or glaucoma) assisting with patients, learning the elements of the ophthalmic exam, performing minor procedures, seeing interesting anterior segment pathology, and optimizing clinic flow. The fellow would scrub with ophthalmic surgical procedures (2-4 times/month). On the research side, the fellow would be expected to participate and facilitate ongoing clinical research projects such as research reviews and short case series. Pacific Clear Vision Institute is a 3 MD, 2 OD practice in Eugene, OR. For more information, please email [email protected].

This will be a valuable opportunity for aspiring Ophthalmologists to (1) augment their clinical ophthalmic repertoire to shine at away rotations (2) work on and publish clinical research (3) work under an incredibly kind mentor who is invested in you and your success both personally and professionally (4) grow as a student, scientist and future Ophthalmologist!