Ophthalmology Match statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Good Mountain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering If anyone knew about the mean age of the MDs who matched for Ophthalmo residency.
What do you think of the FMG matching?

Members don't see this ad.

Good Mountain said:
Just wondering If anyone knew about the mean age of the MDs who matched for Ophthalmo residency.

According to last year statistics only 33% of the FMGs that submitted a rank list
did match. But I guess many FMGs do not get a single interview and thus cannot submit a rank list.
So I think the chances to match for a FMG are quite low.

Members don't see this ad :)
KBerg21 said:
What are my chances of matching in Ophthalmology?

Stats:
Step I: 215
Honors in Surgery, OB
2 Publications non-ophtho
1 Presentation at ARVO

Check the sticky FAQ thread. You will find your answers there.

Spitzko said:
According to last year statistics only 33% of the FMGs that submitted a rank list
did match. But I guess many FMGs do not get a single interview and thus cannot submit a rank list.
So I think the chances to match for a FMG are quite low.

That means that only 33% of the FMG that where called for interviews where able to match?

What about the mean age?

Good Mountain said:

I have attached the Ophtho match report from SF Match. Take a look.

Attachments

• MatchReport.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,615
John1975 said:
I have attached the Ophtho match report from SF Match. Take a look.

Thanx a lot for the info. :thumbup:

What does the Avg offers row mean?

The ophtho match report shows a 86% match rate for US grads. That's pretty darn good! I was always under the impression that ophthalmology was one of the most competetive specialties out there, but with it's match rate, it's not even close. For comparison, the emergency medicine match rate for 2005 was only 79%, not to mention derm (57%), surgery (84%), etc.

Why has ophthalmology gotten that reputation? Are the numbers wrong?!

fdsa said:
The ophtho match report shows a 86% match rate for US grads. That's pretty darn good! I was always under the impression that ophthalmology was one of the most competetive specialties out there, but with it's match rate, it's not even close. For comparison, the emergency medicine match rate for 2005 was only 79%, not to mention derm (57%), surgery (84%), etc.

Actually that was the report for last year's match. This year, 88% of US Seniors matched. The numbers are not wrong. It does seem that the difficulty of matching in ophthalmology for a US Senior is a bit overstated in the general perception of things, however there are many factors to consider. Perhaps there is some degree of self-selection and a stronger overall applicant pool.

Attached is the 2006 Match report.

Attachments

• report.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 546
fdsa said:

That is because almost any one daring to apply into ophthalmology has great scores and grades. There are many more EM programs, but majority of U.S. seniors apply and rank big university names, so many of them do not match which leaves empy spots in the end. Numbers do not tell everything, there are other factors that make ophtho match difficult, such as special electives, research, connections etc...Majority of students applying in ophtho have all these, but a few are out of luck.

Does anyone have the most recent Fellowship match statistics??

fdsa said:

I would be very interested to know where you got these numbers. I have never heard of EM only being 79% of US seniors. I think your numbers are total overall match success rates that include FMGs. There is a book on how to choose a medical specialty that tells match stats for each field. I would check that book out it is titled "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty." I am quite sure that its stats are correct. The US grad success rate is far higher than any of your numbers reflect. The book shows that the most difficult thing to match into is Integrated (ie straight out of med school) Plastic Surgery and its match rate is still 76%. Definitely don't think that ophtho is easy to get into, just because I don't want anyone to go unmatched. A specialty in which the average US med student board score is also the average unmatched board score is never a good sign that a specialty is easy to get into. I know a lot of med students with below average board scores who have done well in the EM match, I don't know any people with an average board score that have matched into ophtho. (I know they exist I just haven't met them)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ophtho24 said:
I would be very interested to know where you got these numbers. I have never heard of EM only being 79% of US seniors. I think your numbers are total overall match success rates that include FMGs. There is a book on how to choose a medical specialty that tells match stats for each field. I would check that book out it is titled "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty." I am quite sure that its stats are correct. The US grad success rate is far higher than any of your numbers reflect. The book shows that the most difficult thing to match into is Integrated (ie straight out of med school) Plastic Surgery and its match rate is still 76%. Definitely don't think that ophtho is easy to get into, just because I don't want anyone to go unmatched. A specialty in which the average US med student board score is also the average unmatched board score is never a good sign that a specialty is easy to get into. I know a lot of med students with below average board scores who have done well in the EM match, I don't know any people with an average board score that have matched into ophtho. (I know they exist I just haven't met them)
EM guys always think it's so hard to match into EM. But match rates for us seniors when I applied were well above 90%. Bottom line is who cares how many people match as long as you are one of them and you match in what you want to be doing.

I got my info from http://residency.wustl.edu. If you use the pull down menu in the upper right corner you can see stats for all the specialties, including % of US seniors that matched.

I agree that numbers aren't everything in choosing a specialty, but it's a very different story choosing a residency with a 57% match rate over one with a 90% match rate!

Speaking from personal experience...I applied to both ophtho and ER at the start of this year. ER was going to be my backup, but decided not to even interview after disliking my ER rotation. I recieved interview offers at most of the ER programs I applied to (which I had to cancel), but I only recieved about 1-2 interview offers for about every ten ophtho applications.

fdsa said:

I think the answer to this question is best stated by a quote by Mark Twain
"there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics". If one looks at the match statistics page you will see that the match rate is based on those who were able to get interviews. To quote Frumps "I recieved interview offers at most of the ER programs I applied to (which I had to cancel), but I only recieved about 1-2 interview offers for about every ten ophtho applications." If you look at how many people registered to participate in the SF Match 824 vs those that matched then the match rate is 54%. Those that participated 742 (why the drop I do not know) then the match rate is 60%. Those that turned in rank lists 620 (this is low b/c ophtho does not give out interviews lightly - I got a 249 step 1 and only got 9 interviews total) then the match rate is 72%. But the stat that 88% of US seniors who applied still matched. I would say that is because those that apply are super students. The average board score of those that matched is 230!!!!!!. That is the top 8% of all med students. Thats why I think ophtho is very competitive.

My 2 cents

Free Radicle said:
I think the answer to this question is best stated by a quote by Mark Twain
"there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics". If one looks at the match statistics page you will see that the match rate is based on those who were able to get interviews. To quote Frumps "I recieved interview offers at most of the ER programs I applied to (which I had to cancel), but I only recieved about 1-2 interview offers for about every ten ophtho applications." If you look at how many people registered to participate in the SF Match 824 vs those that matched then the match rate is 54%. Those that participated 742 (why the drop I do not know) then the match rate is 60%. Those that turned in rank lists 620 (this is low b/c ophtho does not give out interviews lightly - I got a 249 step 1 and only got 9 interviews total) then the match rate is 72%. But the stat that 88% of US seniors who applied still matched. I would say that is because those that apply are super students. The average board score of those that matched is 230!!!!!!. That is the top 8% of all med students. Thats why I think ophtho is very competitive.

My 2 cents

I think that this is a very accurate statement. The drop from registered applicants to applicants that participate to those that turn in a rank list occurs when other opportunities come along. For example, I registered for the match and participated in the match but did not turn in a rank list. I found an open spot before I finished all of my interviews. Others who pay the hundred dollars and register may decide not to participate for multiple reasons. They might decide to do a research year first for example, but have already the paid the non-refundable registration fee. Others find opportunities in other fields.

This discussion reminds me of one I had with a person from my undergrad who was applying to veterinarian schools. She insisted that the school she was applying too was much more competitive than some of the med schools I was looking at. She cited acceptance stats at the med schools (accurately) at around 10%, whereas apparently the acceptance rate was much lower at the vet school she was looking at. Interestingly, the average GPA's of matriculants were also much lower at the vet school. This phenomenon may or may not shed light on this discussion, but nonetheless demonstrates how one set of statistics can be deceiving.

Well a friend of mine has matched in ophthalmology this year. Hi is an FMG.

Keep in mind that the match rate is calculated using only those who ranked programs, not the larger number of people who applied to programs.

Well a friend of mine has matched in ophthalmology this year. Hi is an FMG.

Can you expand more on this? Interviews this year have not even begun yet. Did he pre-match (which is HIGHLY unlikely in ophtho)? Let us know.

Can you expand more on this? Interviews this year have not even begun yet. Did he pre-match (which is HIGHLY unlikely in ophtho)? Let us know.

Hi did one year of research in ophthalmology and then he matched. I sent him a mail to see how things where going but i guess he is to busy to respond right away.

Hi did one year of research in ophthalmology and then he matched. I sent him a mail to see how things where going but i guess he is to busy to respond right away.

Where did he match? And where did he do his research year?