Ophthalmology Residency Program Compendium - Table of Contents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts on UC Irvine vs. UC San Diego? both take 3 spots...
Any difference in ability to get fellowships from either place? Reputation?
I'm specifically interested in preparation for academic career.

Members don't see this ad.

As a little bit of an aside, the programs that have been ranked in the top ten for the strength of their residency programs in OT for the last five years(if you want to call it a "top 16" of sorts)(in order approximate order of cumulative rank):
BPEI, Wilmer, Iowa, Wills, JSEI, Doheny, UCSF, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Michigan, Casey, Baylor, NYEEI, MEEI, Utah

One strong thing to consider is the OT list is based on rankings surveyed for the department. It does not necessarily correlate to quality of residency training. While many of the programs listed are high quality programs, it doesn't take into account happiness of a resident, faculty emphasis on teaching, clinical range and volume, etc. etc. Some programs have incredible clinical focus, others have incredible research focus. Depending on what you're interested, certain programs offer better clinical training while others offer better research training. So, in addition to just what's listed on OT, it's important to ask residents and PDs who they think are the best residency training because residents and PDs often will have a different order of the same programs than what's listed in OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a little bit of an aside, the programs that have been ranked in the top ten for the strength of their residency programs in OT for the last five years(if you want to call it a "top 16" of sorts)(in order approximate order of cumulative rank):
BPEI, Wilmer, Iowa, Wills, JSEI, Doheny, UCSF, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Michigan, Casey, Baylor, NYEEI, MEEI, Utah

I think you missed Wash U., which I would put around Duke and ahead of Emory.

Is anyone familar with the Midwest programs, such as UMKC, Kansas, Mizzou, Nebraska. I would like to stay near home in the Midwest but haven't received an invite to Iowa or Minnesota schools. I've read about UMKC and Nebraska on Scutwork, but have not heard anything about these programs on SDN. Anyone have an idea about call schedules, surgery/clinic exposure and just the general atmosphere. Thanks!

I've seen a few people wondering about UMKC and I thought I'd share my thoughts. While it's certainly not a big name, I think this is a very solid program. I don't see any major holes...I have not met any faculty that would be impossible to work with. Overall, there's a relatively laid-back atmosphere in my opinion. Call responsibilities are pretty light, q6. All specialties are covered. I think they have a strong lecture series/educational approach--lectures every morning. Good surgical volume (~90-125 cats). The chair has a rep for being intimidating, but he treated me well. The resident lanes are ancient but reasonably functional. Good balance of autonomy/supervision.

No reason to worry about ranking UMKC in my opinion.

Kansas, on the other hand...I would ask lots of questions if I were interviewing there...

Any thoughts on UC Irvine vs. UC San Diego? both take 3 spots...
Any difference in ability to get fellowships from either place? Reputation?
I'm specifically interested in preparation for academic career.

Based on my experience interviewing 2 years ago, I would say that UCSD would better prepare you for an academic career, (though the environment there is definitely more "hard core" in terms of faculty-resident interaction)

However, you can go wrong with UCI if you are interested in academic glaucoma (given Dr. Baerveldt, of BGI fame, is a faculty member there)

Hey Xaelia,

I'll be going this weekend so I can give you an update about it afterwards although I guess you may be going down there too. There is a fellow I know who was there and he said he liked it a lot but that it was a busy program with intense call q6...up all nightish type of call. My PD also recommended it and that's why I'm going down to see it as well.

These programs where you're the only show in town I think are going to be at least good for clinical training.

does anyone know anything or can give me a heads up before going to oklahoma (mcgee's) interview?

anyone have any info on university of arizona? I got an invite, but don't know anything about the program. any info would be great! thanks!

any opinions on Loma Linda CA, U South Florida, Tulane, Boston U?

Members don't see this ad :)
any opinions on Loma Linda CA, U South Florida, Tulane, Boston U?

more programs... any info appreciated!

columbia
cornell
ny eye & ear
boston university
u. virginia
st. lukes-roosevelt, ny
med col virginia
med col georgia
suny downstate
eastern virginia
tulane
nassau

Hi everyone. I wanted to see what people heard/thought about Rush (Chicago) and Mayo. Thanks!

Very straight forward presentation by PD, which I appreciated.

+s=VAs, surgery, autonomy, Boston
-s=frustration of VA/poor pts (no english), old facilities (but adequate), Boston

residents seemed pretty happy, 2-3 faculty in each sub-specialty

program seemed to be static/mild declining...no good future plans for renovations/program improvements

seemed like a decent mid tier program

There are good programs not on this list; WUStL's ophthalmology resident education program hasn't been ranked in the top 10 in the last five years in OT.

Wash U had the nicest faculty and one of the best educational/clinical programs I found. Plus, ten weeks of protected research time and very well-connected faculty will definately lead to future success getting into the highly coveted fellowship positions (isn't that the whole point of this anyway). I would put them in the top 3-5 programs overall (and I have seen the "top 12")...OT rankings are highly overrated.

Need to make decision on these programs because of interview date conflict. Anybody with any thoughts in comparing these programs?

Need to make decision on these programs because of interview date conflict. Anybody with any thoughts in comparing these programs?

UT Houston is a laid back program. Not known as one of the 'top' programs that people usually talk about but I think they have decent clinical training- and good surgical volume. They have a county hospital and private along with good amount of trauma because of a level 1 trauma facility. They recently have built a new clinic in a nice highrise which has great facilities which will start January 2007. The faculty are very laid back. It's a smaller faculty size but well trained- uveitis from wilmer. They are in the process of recruiting more faculty. Research is available and encouraged but many of the residents go there to be clinically trained to be a private doc. They have a large eye fund so they are financially well established. I think it's a great program if you want to be a practicing private ophthalmologist. Don't know much about Indiana so i can't compare the two. Hope this helps.

Rush is a small program with only 2 residents per class (better be sure you like your coresident and that they pull their weight). You are also required to do a grueling surgical transitional year at Rush if you match into the program. That said, the new facilities are beautiful and you get to spend all your time there (no VA/children's hospital to commute to).

Does anybody know anything about this program?

Which program are you interested in:
University of Kentucky -- Lexington, or University of Louisville -- Louisville?

Louisville- it is going to cost me quite a bit to fly there and I know nothing about the program- any information is very appreciated!! :)

I'm assuming I got this interview after somebody cancelled because their two dates are in one week and two weeks. Anyways, does anyone know anything about this program? Thanks!

i was under the impression that they only offered 2 dates this year but i could easily be mistaken. i also need info on GW

I think those are the only dates for GW. I was just referring to the fact that I heard from them pretty late. :)

Pittsburgh was kind of a schizophrenic program to me; six residents a year, big program, but they really seemed overworked from a clinical perspective. Nice facilities like a huge, dedicated wet lab for practicing surgical experience, their Eye & Ear institute was recently remodelled, and Dr. Waxmane is very focused on resident education. Some parts of Pittsburgh are appealling, and some parts are less attractive. Sort of symbolized how I felt about the program as a whole. Overnight call in-house as a first year, and I guess you don't sleep much at all. Depends on how much you like sleep, I guess.

Utah has a fantastic new facility, impressive surgical numbers, happy residents, some great faculty, affordable, clean city - half an hour to some of the best skiing in the world, lots of new developments in the city related to the 2002 Olympics. The only drawback to the location is the high LDS population, which may or may not be a problem to you. Only three residents a year, so you take primary call for two years q6. Apparently a lot of nights, particularly in the winter, you get a full-night's sleep and don't have to come in. You do your internship in Utah's IM program with four months of VA clinic doing pre-op evaluations in the middle of it; the residents seemed to think it was an okay arrangement. No research time built-in to your schedule until PGY-4. If they had four residents a year, with primary call for only one year, and more independent time, it would be awesome - though lose some of their uniqueness with huge surgical numbers.

~60% of Utah's population is LDS. This may or may not restrict or impact your social and living experience, depending on your own personal religious, political, and social views. All your other examples of concentrated homogenous populations may be assessed in a similar fashion.

I suppose I editorialized a little too much by calling it a "drawback," but it is to me. Others are welcome to disagree. We are all beautiful and unique flowers.

~60% of Utah's population is LDS. This may or may not restrict or impact your social and living experience, depending on your own personal religious, political, and social views. All your other examples of concentrated homogenous populations may be assessed in a similar fashion.

I suppose I editorialized a little too much by calling it a "drawback," but it is to me. Others are welcome to disagree. We are all beautiful and unique flowers.

Salt Lake itself is more 50-50.
I grew up in Salt Lake, and both of my parents live there (one of them is on faculty at the Moran Center); so I'm relatively comfortable answering questions people have about that here or by PM.

If they had four residents a year, with primary call for only one year, and more independent time, it would be awesome - though lose some of their uniqueness with huge surgical numbers.

It was about a 10 year fight for them to get up to three (just happened a couple of years ago). I wouldn't expect them to go up to 4 anytime soon.

Dave

Why would a "large LDS population" be a drawback? Would I say west LA's large Jewish population is a drawback, San Francisco's large homosexual population is a draw back, or anyother areas large African Amercian/Asian/or Hispanic population is a drawback? Come on...

If any of those things are a drawback for you, then yes. While you're in residency to train primarily, that doesn't mean you have to be miserable in the place you live. If you're the kind of person who likes to go out to the bar or club on the weekend when you're not on call, Salt Lake will be a tougher place to live for you.

That aside, there is some legitimacy to the concern concern from a training perspective also, since the population is also predominantly white.

Let's say you want to go into glaucoma. You get great surgical experience, and you see a ton (and I mean A TON) of PXF. The downside is you see a very small fraction of african-americans, especially when compared to inner-city populations. Each set of patients will present their own set of challenges, and you want to learn to deal with as many of them as possible. It wouldn't be a deciding factor for me (and it wasn't when I was applying), but that doesn't mean it's something you shouldn't keep in mind.

Why would a "large LDS population" be a drawback? Would I say west LA's large Jewish population is a drawback, San Francisco's large homosexual population is a draw back, or anyother areas large African Amercian/Asian/or Hispanic population is a drawback? Come on...

Dude, you're totally over-reacting! Take a deep breath and chill out! :D

does anyone know when this program is inteviewing?

wtf is up with this "inside scoop" from JSEI? It's nauseatingly pretentious.

"Be Proud - You are one of the Elite
You're interviewing at one of the top residency programs in ophthalmology. And I'm sure you have other interviews at other top programs....Therefore, you must be in the top 5% of applicants already. You are one of the elite applicants."

Strengths:
"4. JSEI is financially strong. Look at these marble buildings!"

Weaknesses:
"6. If you're lazy and not a team player, then you will not like it here."

Etc.

Feels like cognitive dissonance or most excellent Kool-Aid. What sort of impression are they trying to make on us, exactly?

doheny....

Positives: beautiful location, great autonomy at LA county 1 and 3rd years. Good volume (~125-50 phacos). Big name faculty (esp retina), residents seem to get great fellowships. I think you will be well trained and extremely efficient as a graduate from there. The Chair seems to be very supportive, approachable, and down to earth.

Negatives: the 1st, 3rd years are worked to the bone at County. Many looked dog-tired. Not in of itself, bad, but there is very little ancillary support (techs) at County, and I'm not sure how much you are taught by the bigwig Doheny faculty except for the second year. At county, it looks like you have huge volume immediately, like the first month of 1st year, and there is not that much teaching. Guidance is available from seniors , but they are also busy as 3rd years. I think the County attendings are volunteers.

Misc: one odd thing seems to be the Assistant Chief of Service position. Usually a 1-2 yr position at most progs, but the current ACS has been there for 5 years, and looks to be there indefinitely. If one has questions, you ask your senior, if not ask ACS, if not then an attending. The ACS is mostly at County (2/3 of your time as a resident) has a big role in resident teaching. However the relationship of the ACS with some of the residents seems uneasy. Since you're spending most of your time at County, I think it is key to be ok with working independently (know how do to a through exam) immediately when you start, be able to deal with county staff and mentality, and to get along well with the ACS.

In general, I always wonder what a good balance is on: great autonomy but little supervision (county, va, etc) vs. less autonomy but good teaching (univ hospital etc.)

I liked my interview at UPMC. I think they have great clinical tranining. Does anybody know if the get good fellowships?.
Thanks

I know alot of people here have quoted the OT and US News.
It's interesting though, after interviewing, how the best clinical residency training doesn't necessarily correlate with those rankings. I was curious of anyone else felt the same.

My top clinical residency programs I thought were: [and I have a personal bias towards more autonomous programs where you get high volumes and have patient diversity] BP, Wills, Baylor Houston, Doheny, Jules Stein, Emory

There are alot of other great programs that I didn't list or didn't interview at so I can't speak of, but this was my personal opinion/feeling. Anyone else felt the same?

I had a similar impression on the interview trail. I felt UCSD, Oregon, UC Davis, Michigan were great programs not highly ranked by OT.

Anybody have any comments on Wills in terms of how the program will be affected in the coming years with the recent purchase of the program by Thomas Jefferson University and the inevitable stepping down/retirement of the longtime chairman (he told me this during my interview)? I asked about these on interview day but residents seemed to know little about it or dodged the question altogether. Wills is a great program but interested to see how these changes will affect the program

I felt UCSD, Oregon, UC Davis, Michigan were great programs not highly ranked by OT.
I have never heard anyone across the country say a single negative thing about Casey; I don't think its name recognition projects as much outside the west coast as UCLA, USC or UCSF, but I wouldn't expect any fellowship doors to be closed to you from that program. They also rank in the top 10 for NEI funding.

Michigan is already well-recognized in national surveys.

UC Davis has excellent training as well, but probably not in the same sentence as the aforementioned west-coast programs.

For quality of life and great training during residency, I think Casey, UCSF, Michigan, and UC Davis are well-balanced and hard-to-beat. Plenty of pathology, surgical volume, and opportunities to practice with some autonomy without suffering unduly.

i thought mcgee eye in oklahoma was another amazing clinical program with less recognition and really happy residents.

Anyone have any unique insights comparing UCLA, Michigan, and UPenn? I have an idea how I'm going to rank them, but if someone feels moved to comment on some aspect of those programs I might have overlooked on my interview day, I'd be happy to hear it.

Anyone have any unique insights comparing UCLA, Michigan, and UPenn? I have an idea how I'm going to rank them, but if someone feels moved to comment on some aspect of those programs I might have overlooked on my interview day, I'd be happy to hear it.

All great programs. Personally, I would definitely put UCLA and Michigan above UPenn. I think UCLA and Michigan both have much higher clinical volumes than UPenn and during residency, it's a time to get a very strong clinical training. Research will come later on in academics or fellowship-- and Scheie is awesome for research, but I just didn't get the impression that they were quite as strong clinically. As to how to rank UCLA vs. Michigan, that's up to geographical preference and style of learning and happiness of residents- so a tougher more personal decision will determine which one you rank higher out of those 2.

Can anyone please rank these programs-
Nassau, mississippi, UKMC(Kansas city), Galveston, Uni of cincinatti, tulane
Thanks

Can anyone please rank these programs-
Nassau, mississippi, UKMC(Kansas city), Galveston, Uni of cincinatti, tulane
Thanks

When I was applying last year, I got an e-mail from Galveston saying they were on probation. I forgot why. You might want to look into that. Sometimes programs are on probation for innocuous reasons, but sometimes it's a red flag.

Any opinions on Tufts? malignant program? I had mixed feelings when I interviewed there.