ophthalmology vs optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the4ork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my optometry preview at western university and am pretty excited abou persuing a career. However, ive been keeping tabs online for starting pay for optometrists, particularly at the VA, and am pretty dissapointed.

Im a non traditional student, i served in the military for 9 years, combat veteran, and currently work for civil service as an electrician. The starting pay is not much more than what an electrician makes!

However, looking at ophthalmology, at a quick glance (havent had time spend a few hours online researching) the pay is much higher.

But can anyone tell me how different the schooling is? I have a bs in small business and am currently working through the science pre reqs for optometry school.

Is ophthalmology a path i could easily pick up after optometry school or is best to get in from the get go?

Sorry if i sound ignorant, but its because i am. I have no family or friends in the medical field, its all new to me and a bit overwhelming. Right now im trying to just figure out my short and long term goals.

Any help is apreciated, so thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Ophthalmology is a specialty after medical school. So you would have to attend 4 years of medical school, match into Ophth, then complete (typically) a 5 year residency in ophthalmology, and that would (if I'm correct) qualify you as a basic general ophthalmologist. If you wanted a specialty in ophthalmology, that would be even more study.

If you are qualified to enter optom/med school already, your minimum investment would be 9 years before you became an ophthalmologist. For optometry, 4 years.

Ophthalmology is a specialty after medical school. So you would have to attend 4 years of medical school, match into Ophth, then complete (typically) a 5 year residency in ophthalmology, and that would (if I'm correct) qualify you as a basic general ophthalmologist. If you wanted a specialty in ophthalmology, that would be even more study.

If you are qualified to enter optom/med school already, your minimum investment would be 9 years before you became an ophthalmologist. For optometry, 4 years.
Incorrect. 1 year internship, 3 year residency for a total of 4 years post-med school.

That said, the biggest difference is this: if you get into optometry school you will come out an optometrist. If you get into med school, you still have to match into ophthalmology (a very competitive field).

Incorrect. 1 year internship, 3 year residency for a total of 4 years post-med school.

That said, the biggest difference is this: if you get into optometry school you will come out an optometrist. If you get into med school, you still have to match into ophthalmology (a very competitive field).

Actually, I believe she is probably from Canada. From what I understand, it is 5 years up there. But yes, 4 years in the states for general/comprehensive ophthalmology. Then 1 additional fellowship year for most subspecialties (except vitreoretinal surgery and ASOPRS oculoplastics fellowships, which are 2 years).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app