Ophtho Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wearywanderer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current Status: MS-3
School: Top 25 in the midwest
Step 1: 233
Step 2: Likely taking it in July
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 1 HP in surgery (likely 1 P in Ob/Gyn with the rest hopefully being HPs)
Class rank: I haven't got a clue
Research:
- 4 manuscripts/case reports on GI (1) and ortho (3) [2nd - 4th]
- 2 oral presentations on global surgery (1) and ortho (1) [4th, 1st]
- 7 poster presentations global surgery (1) and ortho (6) [mostly 1st]
*all presentations were at national conferences (not sure if this really matters since they're all non-ophtho though)

EC's: Development committee member in our school's student-run clinic. Otherwise just occasionally some volunteering here and there.
Miscellaneous: I worked as an engineer for a couple years before med school.

My main concerns are my Step I score and my lack of any ophtho research. I was pretty gung-ho about ortho until recently, but the first half of third year has left me wanting something with more longitudinal patient relationships, less procedures (at least OR-wise), and a better work/life balance. I just completed a two-week ophtho elective and I really liked it (though I couldn't really do anything but observe).

I would appreciate any tips for applying and advice on how to strengthen my application between now and Sept/Oct. I don't really have any geographic restrictions nor ties, but I definitely prefer big cities and large, urban areas on either coasts. When the time comes though, I still plan to apply pretty broadly. Which big city programs would I have a solid shot at and which would be reaches?

Members don't see this ad.

I will provide my own perspective as someone halfway through fellowship. I sat in on our residency's interview committee meetings. I am sure you will get a lot of different opinions here.

Assuming that you interview well, if I had no other facts other than what you provided, I would say that you are a solid candidate.

I think that everyone's application should have a "spin" or a sort of one-liner that turns their application's cons into pros. Yours could be, "well, I recently discovered my passion for ophthalmology, so I don't have any pubs yet. But because I love research and I'm good at it, I'm planning to direct my efforts toward ophthalmic research in ____ way in the upcoming months." If I heard that, plus some solid reasons for wanting to go into ophtho, and I really liked your personality during the interview, then I'd want you in my program. You clearly know how to get research done, which (to me personally) is more important than what you did your research in before you knew you wanted to go into ophtho. You should play that up in the interview.

In terms of cities, frankly speaking, you may not be in a position to choose. Apply (and hopefully interview) broadly, and rank the programs you get. Don't fixate on any particular region. Residency is only 3 years; you should be able to tolerate most cities for that long. What's more important is the personality fit in your residency program. (Malignant program + great city = unhappy resident; however, nurturing program + crappy city = decently happy resident, I think.)

Basically, I think you've got a shot, but start making some solid connections and get great LORs, dedicate yourself toward some ophtho research projects, and try to learn as much about ophtho as you can so you can give a really good reason when they ask you during the interview. I think you have a shot. As long as you're a good team player and have a good work ethic, you'd be an asset to a residency program.

Edit: Meant to say: Don't fixate on any particular region - unless you have family or another seriously compelling reason to do so.

Reactions: 1 user
Current Status: MS-3
School: Top 25 in the midwest
Step 1: 233
Step 2: Likely taking it in July
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 1 HP in surgery (likely 1 P in Ob/Gyn with the rest hopefully being HPs)
Class rank: I haven't got a clue
Research:
- 4 manuscripts/case reports on GI (1) and ortho (3) [2nd - 4th]
- 2 oral presentations on global surgery (1) and ortho (1) [4th, 1st]
- 7 poster presentations global surgery (1) and ortho (6) [mostly 1st]
*all presentations were at national conferences (not sure if this really matters since they're all non-ophtho though)

EC's: Development committee member in our school's student-run clinic. Otherwise just occasionally some volunteering here and there.
Miscellaneous: I worked as an engineer for a couple years before med school.

My main concerns are my Step I score and my lack of any ophtho research. I was pretty gung-ho about ortho until recently, but the first half of third year has left me wanting something with more longitudinal patient relationships, less procedures (at least OR-wise), and a better work/life balance. I just completed a two-week ophtho elective and I really liked it (though I couldn't really do anything but observe).

I would appreciate any tips for applying and advice on how to strengthen my application between now and Sept/Oct. I don't really have any geographic restrictions nor ties, but I definitely prefer big cities and large, urban areas on either coasts. When the time comes though, I still plan to apply pretty broadly. Which big city programs would I have a solid shot at and which would be reaches?

You can match, just not at top tier programs in big cities. Your non-ophtho research and low step may be a red flag to programs in general, as well. I don't know what your relationship is like with your home program, but if you have a good home ophtho program, get strong letters and have them make calls for you. This is the time to really make some connections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having recently matched into ophtho this year, I might be able to answer your question.

If you have decent board scores and clinical grades but demonstrate a strong passion in ophtho by doing research and publishing ophtho related papers and/or have good volunteer activities related to ophtho, I think you have a fair shot at matching. Thus, At this stage, I think it’s VERY important for you to find a prolific research mentor in ophthalmology. PM me if you want names!

You may not match at the absolute best programs in the country for ophtho (i.e. Bascom, Iowa, Wills, Wilmer, etc) but you have a good chance to match somewhere (i.e. big cities like Chicago, UW in Seattle, CPMC in SF, UC Irvine/Davis, Florida programs, Texas (maybe not Baylor or UTSW but all other programs) can all be within your reach). I’ve seen plenty of candidates with strong board scores (250 and 260+) have only 5 to 6 interviews or not match at all this year primarily because they lacked research/publications. And I’ve seen plenty of candidates with lesser board scores (230/240) who matched well because they had numerous publications. Usually if you have numerous publications, that PI/mentor will also write you a stronger LOR so you get 2 for the price of 1. Thus, if you’re interested in ophtho, you can do it! Just find a good mentor who publishes a lot!

The development committee for a student run clinic and being an engineer are also very interesting aspects to your app, which will help you interview well and come out unique.

Reactions: 1 user
Having recently matched into ophtho this year, I might be able to answer your question.

If you have decent board scores and clinical grades but demonstrate a strong passion in ophtho by doing research and publishing ophtho related papers and/or have good volunteer activities related to ophtho, I think you have a fair shot at matching. Thus, At this stage, I think it’s VERY important for you to find a prolific research mentor in ophthalmology. PM me if you want names!

You may not match at the absolute best programs in the country for ophtho (i.e. Bascom, Iowa, Wills, Wilmer, etc) but you have a good chance to match somewhere (i.e. big cities like Chicago, UW in Seattle, CPMC in SF, UC Irvine/Davis, Florida programs, Texas (maybe not Baylor or UTSW but all other programs) can all be within your reach). I’ve seen plenty of candidates with strong board scores (250 and 260+) have only 5 to 6 interviews or not match at all this year primarily because they lacked research/publications. And I’ve seen plenty of candidates with lesser board scores (230/240) who matched well because they had numerous publications. Usually if you have numerous publications, that PI/mentor will also write you a stronger LOR so you get 2 for the price of 1. Thus, if you’re interested in ophtho, you can do it! Just find a good mentor who publishes a lot!

The development committee for a student run clinic and being an engineer are also very interesting aspects to your app, which will help you interview well and come out unique.
Hey there, is it okay to ask you a few questions about Ophthalmology? I am an upcoming 4th year without a home program, so there aren't many people around that I can ask. Your profile is private, so I am unable to directly message you.

You're welcome to message me. I'm 5 years removed from the process, but I also didn't have a home program at my med school, so I get the need for advice at this juncture.

Hey there, is it okay to ask you a few questions about Ophthalmology? I am an upcoming 4th year without a home program, so there aren't many people around that I can ask. Your profile is private, so I am unable to directly message you.

Of course!! I'd be glad to help you :) I believe I changed my settings so that you should now be able to directly message me!