Ophtho/Otoscope Set Recommendations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

appomattox

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy soon, and was hoping people would be willing to weigh in on what they like or dislike about the set they bought. No way am I buying a PanOptic, but I know I will be using a diagnostic set from here on out, and want one I will be able to learn on.

Did anyone buy the pocket or mini sets out there on offer?

Does 2.5V vs. 3.5V matter?

Is there anything else a set-buying naif should know?

many thanks,
A

Members don't see this ad.

If you're an M1, don't bother. You can borrow what you need. Once you play around with them, you can see what you might need for 3rd year.

JBJ said:
If you're an M1, don't bother. You can borrow what you need. Once you play around with them, you can see what you might need for 3rd year.
Agreed don't believe the hype, they are normal available on the wall of the clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi--Thanks for the replies, but I actually do need one to work in our "free clinic" and in my future practice. I'm sure. I'd like one to learn on and then use after I graduate. So if anyone has any advice on what they bought or wished they had/had not bought, that would be great.

Appo

So many people in my class wasted their money... they bought them and when they were done playing with them they were never touched again. Don't bother unless you are sure you'll need it for a particular rotation (which more then likely won't be the case as they are almost always available as what the pho said)

GAH! Yes, I understand people don't generally use them once they buy them, and I appreciate the advice, but I AM 100% SURE I WILL NEED ONE, so advice, apart from telling me I am mistaken in needing one, would be appreciated.

Appomattox--do a search of the board for this info. We've had numerous discussions on equipment. And even though most people say "save your money" there are schools out there where you have to learn with one and you aren't in a clinic. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find plenty of threads.

If I were you, I'd buy one as a group purchase with the rest of your class once school starts--you usually get great prices that way. Or you could always get a used one. I have a pan optic and will probably sell it once I'm a 4th year, but it'll still be in great condition.

appomattox said:
GAH! Yes, I understand people don't generally use them once they buy them, and I appreciate the advice, but I AM 100% SURE I WILL NEED ONE, so advice, apart from telling me I am mistaken in needing one, would be appreciated.

Buy one from a classmate that decides you'll never need one.

Or get a Welch-Allyn. The schools usually have a "bling-bling" day when the sharks/sales people are out to selll M1's stuff they really don't need, you can actually get a good deal there if you know what the street prices are. For the street prices, check www.allheart.com.

Another option is to buy the pieces on Ebay, which is what I did. It took several separate purchases and I had to buy a new battery and case, but for the top of the line (except panoptic) WA set for just under $300 complete, including the new battery and case.

Sorry for adding another "do not buy" post but you (appo) and I must have been posting at the same time... didn't see you ABSOLUTELY needed one :oops:

appomattox said:

I bought a WA set during my first year that I still have. It works great, is the same set that we used in clinics (so I was familiar with it), and I used it a couple of times on rural rotations. Just don't make the mistake of buying the mini-set... you can't see anything out of those things.

But, as an aside, don't waste your money - you'll never use it after this rural medicine clinic. :)

appomattox said:
I'm looking to buy soon, and was hoping people would be willing to weigh in on what they like or dislike about the set they bought. No way am I buying a PanOptic, but I know I will be using a diagnostic set from here on out, and want one I will be able to learn on.

I have to reiterate the party line that says to save your money and not buy one. However, since you're intent on buying one, you'll probably find the standard size set more useful (not the mini/pocket one). You can get the type that's rechargable or the type that accepts regular alkaline batteries. I think the rechargable one is better because it's lighter. The Welch-Allyn set is used most often in clinics--in fact, I don't think I've ever seen a non-Welch-Allyn oto-ophthalmoscope--so probably worth getting if just for the sake of familiarity.

No no, get one from www.scopesplus.com. They're really cheap there, at least if you get a Reister one ("other" instead of Welch Allyn).